Will MSC get more US style entertainment in North America?

J0Y0US

One of things I see is they do their current entertainment type because they have so many nationalities on most ships in Europe. That being said now with MSC seemingly investing in the US will they start to get entertainment that is English based and more Broadway/Off-Broadway style shows?

We have yet to cruise MSC but its on my radar to possibly try next.

On my Divina cruise last month the entertainment was similar to what I have seen on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, other than including some acrobats during the production shows. There were themed production shows with singing / dancing, 2 comedians, a comedy juggler and a crew talent show.

1 minute ago, mousefan73 said:

I’m curious how does entertainment differ between Americans and Europeans? 

The only thing I can think of is using the crowd as part of the entertainment for embarrassing things like beer belly contest at the pool etc.

It's not EU versus US, IMHO. The problem is: If you have a very multinational crowd aboard, you'll need such a more visual, less language depending sort of entertainment. And even at the language dependent, let at least us to have something all of us know and understand like Andrea Boccelli songs and the likes.

As far as I understand, MSC is tailoring their experience now more around your embarkation port region. No surprise, some American things will pop up one or the other day like a comedian or such.

MSC doesn't do regular belly contests, love and marriage, or similar on their ships like RCI, it is more refined experience, though, their animation team will likely to host some activities, family oriented at the pool deck by the day and adult oriented on one of the lounges by night that may attract such a good audience. And they used to host Masterchef at Sea and other passenger contests that could also attract such an audience.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

On my Divina cruise last month the entertainment was similar to what I have seen on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, other than including some acrobats during the production shows. There were themed production shows with singing / dancing, 2 comedians, a comedy juggler and a crew talent show.

What was was a show where it was similar to Broadway or had actual US based songs?

Sorry it might sound like a challenge but I am more so wondering because that is not what I have gathered from reading on here and watching a bunch of YouTube videos on the sailings out of the US.

I don’t see them doing any more American type entertainment, because after maybe ten years of ships based from US ports, the guests on those vessels are still 40% or more non-north American.  Half of the audience for a comedian would not understand the cultural inferences even if they could understand the language.  Slang, colloquialism is also a problem.  Ever sail a ship with majority Brits?  Half or more of the comedy will leave you scratching your head.  So music is the answer.

And as far as the shows, every time I read someone thinks the shows on a ship are ‘Broadway type’, I wonder if they have ever seen a Broadway show.  I lived in NYC for ten years, saw many shows.  Never on a ship, although I understand you might find such on a Royal Oasis class, or NCL behemoth.  What you are seeing is more like a Las Vegas review.  EM

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J0Y0US said:

What was was a show where it was similar to Broadway or had actual US based songs?

Sorry it might sound like a challenge but I am more so wondering because that is not what I have gathered from reading on here and watching a bunch of YouTube videos on the sailings out of the US.

One night was a tribute to rock songs from a number of artists, another night was a tribute to love songs from various artists, another was called Extreme and had a mix of music types, etc. I was familiar with all the songs and they were hits in the US. 

I don’t care for the typical song and dance production shows on most cruise ships or Broadway plays and would much rather see an acrobatic artist, comedian, magician, etc., so their mix of entertainment is good for me.

My Divina cruise was a 7 & 12 night back-to-back. The shows were the same for the most part, other than there were 2 completely different shows each night on the 7 day and two performances of the same show each night on the 12 day.  The passenger mix on the 7 day was around 75% US passengers and the 12 day was about 75% International passengers. 

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I don’t see them doing any more American type entertainment, because after maybe ten years of ships based from US ports, the guests on those vessels are still 40% or more non-north American.  Half of the audience for a comedian would not understand the cultural inferences even if they could understand the language.  Slang, colloquialism is also a problem.  Ever sail a ship with majority Brits?  Half or more of the comedy will leave you scratching your head.  So music is the answer.

And as far as the shows, every time I read someone thinks the shows on a ship are ‘Broadway type’, I wonder if they have ever seen a Broadway show.  I lived in NYC for ten years, saw many shows.  Never on a ship, although I understand you might find such on a Royal Oasis class, or NCL behemoth.  What you are seeing is more like a Las Vegas review.  EM

This, exactly! Paying attention to the cultural mix involved is critical here. Acrobats and music are the obvious solutions, and what has worked for years will continue to work for the future. MSC will continue on that line, even though with a larger variety as the World and above classes becoming more prevalent.

47 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The previous decade though was simply putting a ship or two here to give people an option to cruise with them in the Caribbean. They seemingly are making a much larger investment in the US and having Europeans make up a larger portion of the cruisers likely will not fill up these new ships. The world is going to have like 6800 capacity which is a drastic increase in capacity to what they have in the US market right now.

8 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

This, exactly! Paying attention to the cultural mix involved is critical here. Acrobats and music are the obvious solutions, and what has worked for years will continue to work for the future. MSC will continue on that line, even though with a larger variety as the World and above classes becoming more prevalent.

Except are they continuing down that bath in the future?

What worked for years was having limited ship/capacity in the Caribbean as they can only get so many people from Europe to come to the US to then cruise on their ships. 

“MSC World America is testament to our ambitious growth plans in the U.S. and the Caribbean and further solidifies MSC Cruises as a major player in the North American market with another of our largest, most glamorous ships coming to the region,” said Rubén A. Rodríguez, president of MSC Cruises USA.

I just want to add while its from 2019 the historical metrics had US cruisers making up like 48% of all cruisers globally (not even just from US ports). Add in Canada and its over 50% of all cruisers globally.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/msc-cruises-affirms-dedication-to-growth-in-us-market.html

Edited by J0Y0US

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

nd as far as the shows, every time I read someone thinks the shows on a ship are ‘Broadway type’, I wonder if they have ever seen a Broadway show.  I lived in NYC for ten years, saw many shows.  Never on a ship, although I understand you might find such on a Royal Oasis class, or NCL behemoth.  What you are seeing is more like a Las Vegas review.  EM

An excellent observation and when the entertainment director has tried to present a mini-version of a part of a Broadway popular show, while the music is enjoyable, the production pails in comparison to the "real production".

My sole experience on MSC--I was very pleased with the mix of entertainment that I attended.  Opera, Las Vegas type of reviews, solo and group musicians, our CD who had been an entertainer himself and presented an afternoon program in the Main Theater that was nothing short of entertaining!  

Comedians?  There used to be comedians employed by cruise lines that were funny.  Maybe, for some of today's cruisers, they are.  But, not for me.  I miss the performances of folks like Patrick Murray and Matilda.  

The mix of entertainment to suit an international guest list is a strength of MSC, I believe.  

• Like 3

I sure hope not. I love their shows and IMO are much better than the shows I have seen on Carnival or NCL. I like how they will throw in some acrobats or an opera singer at the weirdest time. Tired of people wanting for MSC to change and become what "they" want. If one doesn't like the product then go sail on another cruise line that is "Americanized". I sail with MSC because they are different and not the same old same old that Carnival, NCL, Princess and Celebrity have become. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

I've been living in NYC 73 years and go to B'way regularly.  (Getting ready to go today.)  Yes, on NCL Behemoths they do have B'way style shows...the talent is a notch below B'way (think tour company...not quite ready for B'way).

The MSC talent is much better...with their singing and dancing.  As I recall, there was a nightly production.  On NCL...limited performances and reservations required.  On the "non-behemoth" ships it was more Las Vegas style.

On one Divina cruise several years back there was an opera singer who was well known it Italy...besides the evening performance he gave an extra matinee.

Some people like "Love & Marriage" or "comedians who thing cursing is funny"...I don't and you won't fine them on MSC.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

If one doesn't like the product then go sail on another cruise line that is "Americanized". 

Except that seems directly opposite of what MSC is talking about regarding aggressive growth. Who is the target market then for expansive growth in the US market if not Americans?

2 hours ago, sidari said:

When Europeans outnumber those from North America on most sailings why should they change.

Is there that many people from Europe not cruising on MSC in the US right now because there isn't space? Or is the way for MSC to grow their cruiser base out of the US to target US/CA customers?

2 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Some people like "Love & Marriage" or "comedians who thing cursing is funny"...I don't and you won't fine them on MSC.

So how are they attracting the new customer and the first time cruiser or stealing a customer from another line? Simply on price? It doesn't matter to me regarding those type of shows (which is why I am open to trying MSC to start with) but I am likely in a small minority of cruisers which I accept.

4 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

Except that seems directly opposite of what MSC is talking about regarding aggressive growth. Who is the target market then for expansive growth in the US market if not Americans?

Is there that many people from Europe not cruising on MSC in the US right now because there isn't space? Or is the way for MSC to grow their cruiser base out of the US to target US/CA customers?

So how are they attracting the new customer and the first time cruiser or stealing a customer from another line? Simply on price? It doesn't matter to me regarding those type of shows (which is why I am open to trying MSC to start with) but I am likely in a small minority of cruisers which I accept.

MSC have been sailing out of the US longer than many Americans realise, early sailings carried probably 95% of people from Countries other than the US.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 4:27 PM, sidari said:

MSC have been sailing out of the US longer than many Americans realise, early sailings carried probably 95% of people from Countries other than the US.

And they have never had this much investment or this much capacity in the US before.

Maybe MSC has just been short on capacity all this time for Europeans though and MSC doesn't care about getting a piece of the US/CA cruise base which is drastically larger than anywhere else.

7 hours ago, J0Y0US said:

And they have never had this much investment or this much capacity in the US before.

Maybe MSC has just been short on capacity all this time for Europeans though and MSC doesn't care about getting a piece of the US/CA cruise base which is drastically larger than anywhere else.

The core base for MSC is Europe and in 2023 will have seven ships sailing the Med along with others in Northern Europe, a big mistake was removing Armonia from Cuba and sending it to Miami though that was likely down to a threat of no US business if they refused.. MSC clearly want to attract more North Americans but sadly far too many are set in their ways and refuse to try something new and complain when they find out that MSC are different, however those who make the change usually continue to sail with them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

You guys are not paying attention to where MSC sees its growth coming from.  It is absolutely Global even for their Caribbean product.

1.  They are extending their operations into linkage air operations.  They were partners with Lufthansa in trying to acquire ITA Airlines (The nationalized bankrupt Alitalia).  They have gotten into air freight too to match their ocean container operations.  Expect to see more investment and partnering joint ventures in air operations to link their other (cruising) products.

2.  They are a MAJOR anchor sponsor of Formula 1 with trackside bill boarding at every race this year.  F1 has seen huge growth in the US market and internationally over the past few years due to the very popular Netflix ‘Drive to Survive’ series and the demographic in that growth trends young due to the attraction of the age of the star drivers.  Now you might not be into Motor sports, or pay attention to F1 (carried in the US by ESPN using the UK Sky Sports team’s broadcast), but believe me it is a high end product with luxury brand connotations for decades.

Interestingly in a number of the Asian races, they switched the branding from the MSCCruises branding (Familiar navy white that we all know and love) to the yellow and black MSC shipping logo.  That tells you a little about how they view the their branding in the respective geographical markets.

3.  They tied up with the World Cup to position their ships in Qatar as floating hotels.  Guess who is staying in Yacht Club on the World Europa?….the wives and girlfriends of the England soccer team.  It’s safe and provides them luxury and privacy in a way that might otherwise be difficult to achieve given all the high end hotels are already full of the teams , their support staff and the associated hangers on.  Expect that their very heavily trafficked Instagram and twitter feeds will be heaving with beautiful shots of our gorgeous MSC ships pools, bars and Swarovski staircases.  You think MSC don't know the reach that gives them to a young affluent experience seeking audience….?

All that to say this Scotsman living in the US for tha past 20 years loves MSC’s entertainment.  It is much more akin to traditional European style variety shows rather that broadway musical’s.  That style of show might have long passed in the US TV environment and be seen as a relic of the 60’s and 70’s, but believe me the format is enormously popular around the world.  Just watch some of the most popular weekend evening TV shows in Latin America and Europe and you will still find traditional variety music and dance performance shows.  I particularly like some of the ballroom dance performance.  Those dancers are athletes and if you know what you are looking for are often championship winners from that realm of the dance world.

Edited by stueym
  • Like 5

On 11/5/2022 at 4:30 PM, J0Y0US said:

Isn't it possible that the target market in North America is people who are looking for a more cosmopolitan cruise experience where entertainment (and other aspects) are not just a carbon copy of what all the US-based, US-oriented lines provide?

• Like 7

6 hours ago, stueym said:

You guys are not paying attention to where MSC sees its growth coming from.  It is absolutely Global even for their Caribbean product.

1.  They are extending their operations into linkage air operations.  They were partners with Lufthansa in trying to acquire ITA Airlines (The nationalized bankrupt Alitalia).  They have gotten into air freight too to match their ocean container operations.  Expect to see more investment and partnering joint ventures in air operations to link their other (cruising) products.

2.  They are a MAJOR anchor sponsor of Formula 1 with trackside bill boarding at every race this year.  F1 has seen huge growth in the US market and internationally over the past few years due to the very popular Netflix ‘Drive to Survive’ series and the demographic in that growth trends young due to the attraction of the age of the star drivers.  Now you might not be into Motor sports, or pay attention to F1 (carried in the US by ESPN using the UK Sky Sports team’s broadcast), but believe me it is a high end product with luxury brand connotations for decades.

Interestingly in a number of the Asian races, they switched the branding from the MSCCruises branding (Familiar navy white that we all know and love) to the yellow and black MSC shipping logo.  That tells you a little about how they view the their branding in the respective geographical markets.

3.  They tied up with the World Cup to position their ships in Qatar as floating hotels.  Guess who is staying in Yacht Club on the World Europa?….the wives and girlfriends of the England soccer team.  It’s safe and provides them luxury and privacy in a way that might otherwise be difficult to achieve given all the high end hotels are already full of the teams , their support staff and the associated hangers on.  Expect that their very heavily trafficked Instagram and twitter feeds will be heaving with beautiful shots of our gorgeous MSC ships pools, bars and Swarovski staircases.  You think MSC don't know the reach that gives them to a young affluent experience seeking audience….?

All that to say this Scotsman living in the US for tha past 20 years loves MSC’s entertainment.  It is much more akin to traditional European style variety shows rather that broadway musical’s.  That style of show might have long passed in the US TV environment and be seen as a relic of the 60’s and 70’s, but believe me the format is enormously popular around the world.  Just watch some of the most popular weekend evening TV shows in Latin America and Europe and you will still find traditional variety music and dance performance shows.  I particularly like some of the ballroom dance performance.  Those dancers are athletes and if you know what you are looking for are often championship winners from that realm of the dance world.

This exactly!...

Let me just to dive even a little bit deeper on the MSC's strategy. Against what many (most?) may think, MSC is the largest maritime transportation group alive today. Largest container ship, top leader oil and other dangerous materials transportation, leader in hospital ship transportation, number 4, close to number 3 in cruising, among the leaders on maritime public passenger transportation in Europe. They also have a huge train container business (leader here in Portugal, for example), large bus business in Italy and other countries as well, as you say several partnerships in the air industry (Lufthansa, Emirates, Qatar, etc...) and they're diving themselves on the Travel Agents business. As far as I know they've purchased the largest in Italy, and according to some rumors I've heard they're in the market to purchase on of the largest Portuguese ones... That same one of the largest Portuguese ones that rented the Fantasia for a special cruise on April, 16, 2023, to celebrate the 35th career anniversary for our top star romantic singer alive. The cruise seems to be sold out as far as things go.

MSC is clearly going after such a slightly younger than traditional cruise going crowd, affluent and cosmopolitan, trying to avoid the statute of "discount line" they have had from the past. Their ships are beautiful, their experience is more than good enough for the 4* EU land hotel level experience, and they're attentive to the detail. So attentive to the detail that they've developed the World Europa!... So beautiful and so different than what we've previously seen. Yeah, they don't want the US market by itself. They want to be a truly global company. And if it wasn't for the CCL group to have many trademarks for many "specialty" international markets, I'd say, MSC would be in the way forward to become the first global cruise market line. Well: Actually they're becoming that, exactly on a single trademark!...

And what about the US market?... Well: Only the expats from Europe whom wish to come with their families are a great base fare, let alone al the cosmopolitan college level affluent clientele out there and one can make the case. With time they'll reach there, I'm sure.

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

This exactly!...

Let me just to dive even a little bit deeper on the MSC's strategy. Against what many (most?) may think, MSC is the largest maritime transportation group alive today. Largest container ship, top leader oil and other dangerous materials transportation, leader in hospital ship transportation, number 4, close to number 3 in cruising, among the leaders on maritime public passenger transportation in Europe. They also have a huge train container business (leader here in Portugal, for example), large bus business in Italy and other countries as well, as you say several partnerships in the air industry (Lufthansa, Emirates, Qatar, etc...) and they're diving themselves on the Travel Agents business. As far as I know they've purchased the largest in Italy, and according to some rumors I've heard they're in the market to purchase on of the largest Portuguese ones... That same one of the largest Portuguese ones that rented the Fantasia for a special cruise on April, 16, 2023, to celebrate the 35th career anniversary for our top star romantic singer alive. The cruise seems to be sold out as far as things go.

MSC is clearly going after such a slightly younger than traditional cruise going crowd, affluent and cosmopolitan, trying to avoid the statute of "discount line" they have had from the past. Their ships are beautiful, their experience is more than good enough for the 4* EU land hotel level experience, and they're attentive to the detail. So attentive to the detail that they've developed the World Europa!... So beautiful and so different than what we've previously seen. Yeah, they don't want the US market by itself. They want to be a truly global company. And if it wasn't for the CCL group to have many trademarks for many "specialty" international markets, I'd say, MSC would be in the way forward to become the first global cruise market line. Well: Actually they're becoming that, exactly on a single trademark!...

And what about the US market?... Well: Only the expats from Europe whom wish to come with their families are a great base fare, let alone al the cosmopolitan college level affluent clientele out there and one can make the case. With time they'll reach there, I'm sure.

Sadly their attention to detail in some other areas is sadly lacking.

33 minutes ago, sidari said:

Sadly their attention to detail in some other areas is sadly lacking.

I may agree to a point. Italian businesses do have generally such a larger learning curve, but once they "take it" nobody stops them. They were far from the first ones on fast train transportation, but now, both Frecciarossa and Italo trains are among the best ones Europe wise. This is just an example. Surely MSC could largely improve their IT and consumer support both land and ship side. I believe that even with all the current challenges they'll go there. I just wished they could have remained more authentic to their Italian heritage, but well. There's a sacrifice for global market capture. Things are what they are. Thanks your observations and have a nice day!

Edited by Nunagoras

I, for one, hope they never become more Americanized.  We found the MSC shows very entertaining.  On the other hand, we have stopped going to the shows on other lines.  I never again want to hear a performance of "I..I..I..I...will always love you..oo..oo" or "We will we will rock you".  

• Like 4