Beverage Packages

Balsam12

Hi Folks,

Have booked our first cruise with HAL, 7 Night Alaska on Koningsdam in September 2023. We went with the Have It All package as it seemed like good value.

I have some questions about the beverage packages that hopefully can be answered by more experienced people in here.

1. Can I upgrade the Signature package to the Elite, either prior to the cruise or once on board?

2. As the Signature package covers 15 drinks of any kind, can I choose to pay for some drinks before I hit the 15 per day limit? e.g. on a sea day where I plan on having more than 15 drinks, can I choose to pay for water or sodas early in the day, and leave the 15 drink allowance for alcoholic ones?

Not sure if I would hit the 15 drink limit anyway, but it seems like a waste if I wanted a couple of bottles of water, and then had to pay for cocktails later in the day.

Finally, I have seen some drink menus that list a few whiskies that are included in the Signature package, but have also seen other drinks menus that have more whiskies that are under the $11.00 limit. Can I get ANY whisky that is under $11.00, or are there only specific ones available on the package?

Thanks in advance,

Balsam

1. You can only upgrade onboard, BEFORE  you buy your first drink on the plan.

2. I suppose you could do that. Just be clear you are buying the drinks.

3. Any alcoholic drink under $11 is covered by the beverage package,  except what is in the mini bar in your room, or on Half Moon Cay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balsam12 said:

As the Signature package covers 15 drinks of any kind, can I choose to pay for some drinks before I hit the 15 per day limit? e.g. on a sea day where I plan on having more than 15 drinks, can I choose to pay for water or sodas early in the day, and leave the 15 drink allowance for alcoholic ones?

If you use your keycard, any drink will be charged to the package. To avoid this, purchase a beverage card and use it rather than your keycard for less expensive drinks. Any amount left on the card will be credited to your onboard account or refunded if there is no balance in your account. The beverage cards are available to pre-purchase in the beverage section of manage my booking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Have booked our first cruise with HAL, 7 Night Alaska on Koningsdam in September 2023. We went with the Have It All package as it seemed like good value.

Not sure if I would hit the 15 drink limit anyway, but it seems like a waste if I wanted a couple of bottles of water, and then had to pay for cocktails later in the day.

Hi Balsam!

We like the HIA and specifically the SBP. If you like better wines or top shelf liquors, I understand upgrading to the Elite package costs US$11.80 per person per day, all persons in cabin must buy. This is more than the $5pd they are if bought in advance and without HIA, and that is because the HIA value for SBP is "discounted". However, as any drink over $11 is charged at full value + 18% service, the cost to upgrade is paid for by one drink/day/person!

I have been told to see a bar tender, not a server, to upgrade before buying (or accepting from a server) any sailaway drinks! If bartender thinks it's not possible, either ask for a manager or go to a different bar -- people HAVE reported success quite recently.

As far as exceeding the 15-drink limit -- stock up on water (it will be canned not bottled) on first day or any day that you have not reached 15. You may want to bring or obtain your own reusable water bottle for when you don't want to down a whole can at once! You can also get beers and have them not be opened, to save in your room fridge.

• Thanks 1

Yes you can pre purchase water to have in your cabin from the HAL website.  It is pricey IMO.  You can also bring up to 12  cans per person----no plastic bottles allowed.  The water from lido is good & we drink from the tap in our cabin, glasses are provided in the cabin.  You can also bring your own refillable water bottle (empty) from home.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Banditswife said:

You can also bring up to 12  cans per person-

Cans or cartons and depending on size, it can be 12 or 6. The permitted amount is 6 litres (ie 12 cans of 500ml each or 6 cartons of 1litre each).  Or, I presume a mixture of both!

From HAL's current FAQ

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding.