Connecting rooms question

Jcol5786

Hello,

Just back from a cruise on Oasis. We won a room upgrade and were assigned an Ocean View Balcony. We noticed that our room was connected to a Grand Suite room beside us. We had never stayed in a connected room before but were happy to get a balcony room. We liked the room and I thought it had a little more space. As for noise we could easily hear our neighbors talking in normal tones, this is not something we had experienced in our usual non-connected rooms however they were good neighbors and it never became an issue but it high-lighted how much noise was coming through the connecting door. Our room steward said that there was only a single door between the 2 rooms so it was not surprising that we could hear them and I assume they could hear us. 

I just came across a post here on CC where it was mentioned that on some ships when a connecting room is connected to a suite than it's considered a family connected and only has 1 door, however if the connection is between two standard balcony or ocean view rooms then each room has a door which would reduce the noise somewhat. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact how it is setup on ships such as Oasis or Anthem? If that is generally the case it would make me think twice about booking a connecting room that connects to a suite room with a single door.

Thanks

24 minutes ago, Jcol5786 said:

ocean view rooms then each room has a door which would reduce the noise somewhat. Can anyone confirm that this is in fact how it is setup on ships such as Oasis

Was recently in connecting OV balcony on Oasis and there's one connecting door. Example in:

#8694 & 8696 - facing the doors from the hallway, #8694 (my cabin) was on the left and the connecting door opened up into my cabin with the magnet latch on my side of the wall. My girlfriends in #8696 could open the door as there were handles on both sides. Yes you can hear the TV and conversations 'tween both rooms. Ditto for cabins #8574 & 8576.

Personally I'd only want this setup if I specifically selected connecting rooms when traveling with hubby or friends!

Edited by long4acruise

Thanks for posting this question. I am booked in cabin 9150 on Symphony next month. It is a connecting ocean view balcony. The people in the connecting room are not with my party. I'm a bit concerned about noise from their cabin since from the info above it sounds like it will only be a single door. I will have to see what options I have at this point for any possible cabin changes. I looked online and only balcony guarantees are being sold for the ocean views. Ugh. I could purchase a higher level cabin for double the price of this balcony cabin we have. That's double ugh. LoL. I will certainly call Royal as well to check. Any helpful suggestions? 

12 minutes ago, blueslily said:

Thanks for posting this question. I am booked in cabin 9150 on Symphony next month. It is a connecting ocean view balcony. The people in the connecting room are not with my party. I'm a bit concerned about noise from their cabin since from the info above it sounds like it will only be a single door. I will have to see what options I have at this point for any possible cabin changes. I looked online and only balcony guarantees are being sold for the ocean views. Ugh. I could purchase a higher level cabin for double the price of this balcony cabin we have. That's double ugh. LoL. I will certainly call Royal as well to check. Any helpful suggestions? 

Since 9150 is a connecting balcony and it is a connecting balcony category the only cabin you can change to at no cost is another connecting balcony.  Any move to any other balcony cabin would mean that you would have to pay current rates.

21 minutes ago, long4acruise said:

Was recently in connecting OV balcony on Oasis and there's one connecting door. Example in:

#8694 & 8696 - facing the doors from the hallway, #8694 (my cabin) was on the left and the connecting door opened up into my cabin with the magnet latch on my side of the wall. My girlfriends in #8696 could open the door as there were handles on both sides. Yes you can hear the TV and conversations 'tween both rooms. Ditto for cabins #8574 & 8576.

Personally I'd only want this setup if I specifically selected connecting rooms when traveling with hubby or friends!

Thanks for sharing this info as I have an ocean view balcony, 9150, reserved on Symphony for next month. Now I'm more concerned. A slightly different question. Due to the location of the door, did you still have a sofa in your room or did you just have a chair? In a separate threadhere, I think the OP mentioned having a chair versus a sofa. Thanks

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Since 9150 is a connecting balcony and it is a connecting balcony category the only cabin you can change to at no cost is another connecting balcony.  Any move to any other balcony cabin would mean that you would have to pay current rates.

Thanks. Yes, I understand that part, that I would be paying for a different category for an ocean view balcony. When I looked, there were only ocean view balcony guarantees shown as an option. 

3 hours ago, blueslily said:

Due to the location of the door, did you still have a sofa in your room or did you just have a cha

Yes, we had a full sofa in both sets of cabins on Oasis.

The connecting door was on your immediate right/left upon entering the cabin, opposite the bathroom.

Edited by long4acruise

We have had several connecting rooms (assigned) with Royal.  Only one of them couls we hear the conversations next door.  That family of 4 could have been heard without the connecting door!  I expect that their conversation level was normal for them.  I wouldn't bother changing pre-cruise for a fee.  You never know who will be next door.  Enjoy your cruise and maybe bring earplugs for nighttime.

23 hours ago, blueslily said:

Thanks for sharing this info as I have an ocean view balcony, 9150, reserved on Symphony for next month. Now I'm more concerned. A slightly different question. Due to the location of the door, did you still have a sofa in your room or did you just have a chair? In a separate threadhere, I think the OP mentioned having a chair versus a sofa. Thanks

OP here. On Oasis our room had the bed near the balcony and we did not have a sofa. The head of the bed was at the wall with the door. We had a tub chair beside the bed and then the connecting door and then the closet. This to me seemed to open up the room a bit as there was additional wall space, if you count the door as wall space. The chair was comfortable.

After reading the replies no one has reported having two doors between connecting rooms so I guess a single connecting door is the norm on Oasis class ships. Thanks.

We just got off Quantum with connecting balcony rooms.  We were travelling with the couple in the other cabin - the connecting room was requested.

The doors (there were two) are located beside the cabin entrance, each with handles that could be operated from the cabin side.  Sound wasn't intrusive, but if all was quiet (like early morning), you could hear normal conversation and understand it if you listened closely.  

10 hours ago, watcher_62 said:

We just got off Quantum with connecting balcony rooms.  We were travelling with the couple in the other cabin - the connecting room was requested.

The doors (there were two) are located beside the cabin entrance, each with handles that could be operated from the cabin side.  Sound wasn't intrusive, but if all was quiet (like early morning), you could hear normal conversation and understand it if you listened closely.  

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the one door versus two door situation varies depending on the class of ship. Hoping someone that's been on Symphony responds also. Hope you had a nice cruise. 

1 hour ago, blueslily said:

Thanks for sharing. I wonder if the one door versus two door situation varies depending on the class of ship. Hoping someone that's been on Symphony responds also. Hope you had a nice cruise. 

we has 2 doors with the connecting rooms we had on Harmony 

2 hours ago, blueslily said:

Symphony's cabins were made by the same facility that made the Q class ships and Harmony so I would say there will be 2 doors.  

7 hours ago, molsonschooner said:

we has 2 doors with the connecting rooms we had on Harmony 

Interesting. Since Harmony and Oasis are the same class it appears there are room combinations that have 2 connecting doors. In addition most have reported the connecting door is located near the room entrance. This was not the case in our room. Our connecting door was in the main living area between the closet and the bed which would make the sounds from the other cabin more apparent. It's starting to seem that the mention of "family connecting" is the case in that if the standard balcony room is connecting to a suite as was our case than the location of the connecting door and the number doors (one) is different than if the connection is between two standard OV or OVB rooms. Interesting. Something else to keep in mind when booking or considering an upgrade. Thanks for the replies.

9 minutes ago, Jcol5786 said:

Interesting. Since Harmony and Oasis are the same class

There is a difference betwwen Oasis and Harmony

Oasis and Allure have one type of cabin configuration while Harmony and Symphony have an entirely different configuration as Royal changed the shipyard that built HM and SY to the same shipyard that built the Quantum class ships which is why cabins on HM and SY are almost identical to those on Quantum class.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jcol5786 said:

if the standard balcony room is connecting to a suite as was our case than the location of the connecting door and the number doors (one) is different

Yes that is correct.  Those kind of connecting rooms are very few so the answers that people are giving here are for 2 balconies that connect