Tropical Disturbance off Florida Coast

rolloman

Leave this Monday for a week on the Indy for a 4 and then a 3 day.  Not looking good. Waves forecasted to be up to 10+ near shore and 25+ offshore. Seems it will hang around until Thursday. At this point hoping for an itinerary change...Cozumel weather looks great. 

Definitely some poor weather headed  ( they say north then west/ northwest for Florida and Bahamas. Ive seen nothing about 25' waves ( reading marine forecasts ) but the whole thing is still uncertain as of this evening.

Edited by RJ257

We are set to leave tomorrow for Florida and the Bahamas on Anthem.  I wish they would just re route us to Canada at this point.  The weather and seas are going to be terrible.  Just saw it’s probably going to be a tropical storm in the next few days.  

Where else might they re route in a situation like this?  Do they always go north or is there a possibility we could go somewhere else in the Caribbean?

Edited by Cruzinforpeace***

If you're from out of town and sailing in this area, you may want to search for WPLG Channel 10, which is the South Florida ABC affiliate with great weather coverage.  It seems like Tuesday to Thursday are NOT going to be great days for the intended itinerary for Independence, Liberty & Freedom, that stop at Coco Cay and/or Nassau.  (Oasis by the topic of this thread must also fall into this category.)

Watching this morning, it looks like the storm track will take the path right over Coco Cay and just north of Nassau.

Storm Track Sunday the 6th at 6am.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

If you're from out of town and sailing in this area, you may want to search for WPLG Channel 10, which is the South Florida ABC affiliate with great weather coverage.  It seems like Tuesday to Thursday are NOT going to be great days for the intended itinerary for Independence, Liberty & Freedom, that stop at Coco Cay and/or Nassau.  (Oasis by the topic of this thread must also fall into this category.)

Watching this morning, it looks like the storm track will take the path right over Coco Cay and just north of Nassau.

I’ve been watching closely, arrived in Miami yesterday, boarding Explorer today. We are supposed to be at Coco Cay tomorrow… 

Edited by ckrobyn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, RJ257 said:

Definitely some poor weather headed  ( they say north then west/ northwest for Florida and Bahamas. Ive seen nothing about 25' waves ( reading marine forecasts ) but the whole thing is still uncertain as of this evening.

https://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/cape-canaveral-florida

I have to assume re-routes to Cozumel or maybe Cayman Island for most ships who are doing a 4 day + and scheduled for a Bahamas run only...not sure about the 3 day as there is not enough time to do much of anything than the Bahamas.

4 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I have to assume re-routes to Cozumel or maybe Cayman Island for most ships who are doing a 4 day + and scheduled for a Bahamas run only...not sure about the 3 day as there is not enough time to do much of anything than the Bahamas.

Here’s our Explorer itinerary. 

0E95AFDE-20AB-459E-BF64-0A8C04C44230.png

12 hours ago, RJ257 said:

Not sure why you would say that...even the link you provided shows 25 ft waves just off the coast of Canaveral late Wednesday into Thursday. But like you said, it is now unfolding so we shall see what really develops. 

1 hour ago, PWP-001 said:

Add Anthem to the list

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

How long do these storms usually last?

There is no simple answer to that.  When you say "these storms", are you referring to any tropical disturbance?  If so, those can last anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks, depending on many factors.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rolloman said:

Robin,

More than likely they will just skip Coco Cay. As it stands currently, it looks like the storm will be at its worst Wednesday into the wee hours of Thursday.

Honestly, as much as I’d love a Perfect Day… I’d be happy to miss it to stay in calm seas. I’m on a b2b with the week of the 12th - heading to the ABC’s .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Royal Caribbean and the Captain of the ship you are going to sail on loves you, but they love their very expensive ship more. They will try to avoid heavy storm weather with just about any route that they can justify. 

Ships can easily handle a tropical low.  They can easily handle a lot of hurricanes.  The issue is really passenger comfort.  Royal doesn't want a lot of seasick passengers or people to fall due to rough seas.  My DH has ridden a couple of hurricanes in a much smaller  Navy cruiser.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

There is no simple answer to that.  When you say "these storms", are you referring to any tropical disturbance?  If so, those can last anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks, depending on many factors.

I'm mostly curious what the likelihood is that my cruise during Thanksgiving week is going to have this weather too.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I'm mostly curious what the likelihood is that my cruise during Thanksgiving week is going to have this weather too.

Slim to none. A tropical storm this late is pretty rare unless it is a traditional Nor'Easter 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1