What to wear?

golfnut64

We are going on our first Silver Sea cruise in January.  When reading about what to bring, they say the men need a jacket?  Does anyone know if they can get away without one.  We have never had to have on on Oceania.

YES you need a jacket if you want to  dine in any of the main restaurants. Or eat by the pool  / room service on the nights you need a jacket to  dine in a restaurant. 

You are not on Oceania now ! 

From the Silverseas website :

"Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual
all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. "

Edited by rojaan19
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, golfnut64 said:

When reading about what to bring, they say the men need a jacket?  Does anyone know if they can get away without one. 

As long as you’re willing to eat in your suite or in one of the always casual dining venues (pool grill or pizza joint), yes, he can get away without a jacket.  He’ll also be able to dine outside your suite on casual nights which are always, and at a minimum, the first and last night of your voyage.

• Like 3

There is always that 1% that think  the dress code  doesnt apply to  them  ... BUT it does  !

It is a jacket  or a nice dress   !!!!  How much space does that take !  we travel  from Australia  ,,, its a long way - and we pack  accordingly !!

🙄  If you dont  want to  adhere to  the dress code dont  book  Silversea !!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rojaan19 said:

From memory on the daily chronicles it is listed what the dress code is for the day,  the online one only notes the formal  night  with a bowtie  on top of the date.   

Good morning, you are correct except for one thing. The first Chronicle's shows what the dress code is for the entire cruise (well, it showed on my recent Whisper cruise). But you are right, each day the Chronicle's are delivered, the dress code is at the top portion.

34 minutes ago, Not a Georgia Peach said:

Lois, you are right.  I hadn't noticed it in the first day Chronicle from our recent Dawn cruise, but it is listed.

Hi,🙂 thanks....I thought I had seen it on my first day's Chronicles on most of my sailings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

There is always that 1% that think  the dress code  doesnt apply to  them  ... BUT it does  !

It is a jacket  or a nice dress   !!!!  How much space does that take !  we travel  from Australia  ,,, its a long way - and we pack  accordingly !!

🙄  If you dont  want to  adhere to  the dress code dont  book  Silversea !!

I am not trying to get away from taking a jacket or implying the dress code does not apply to me,  it was just a question.  Lots of cruises say jacket for men but they don’t wear them.

51 minutes ago, golfnut64 said:

I am not trying to get away from taking a jacket or implying the dress code does not apply to me,  it was just a question.  Lots of cruises say jacket for men but they don’t wear them.

Dress is a very contentious question here at SS.  I'd recommend taking a sports coat and wearing it most evenings.  I'm a rule guy.  There are also quite a few "formal" evenings which you should check the requirements and policies.

A classic blue blazer will get you through every night, except for the formal night, which is supposed to be dinner jacket or dark suit.

That being said, I would bet that if you wore dark grey slacks, a white shirt, blue blazer with a snappy bow tie, you'd probably fit right in on formal night.

Not saying you should (because you should always take advantage of formal nights to wear the full dinner jacket kit), but just noting that you can look pretty good with a classic blazer.

We will be on the Dawn on 11-20-22. We were on the Moon last July. Here is what this guy is taking and wearing- I am taking a black Armani Sports coat, black and gray dress slacks and a couple of ties. On formal nights I will wear Armaini, black slacks and a tie. Informal nights, Armani with either slacks and NO tie and casual nights no sports coat. Less to pack. That's my story and I am sticking to it!!

• Like 1