Medjet

shuguley

My wife and I have had Medjet Horizon coverage for a number of years and it is time to renew although this time we will need the more expensive Diamond coverage.  Before renewing, I was wondering if any CC members with a Medjet membership had actually used the service for medical transport or evacuation and how the process went?  We have two Regent cruises planned for 2023 beginning in January so I need to move ahead if I am going to get coverage in place before departure.  Although I did suffer a heart attack in 2018 we both are in relatively good health.

Edited by shuguley

We had a need for Medjet about 7 years ago and they really came through. Originally bought it expecting that, if we did need it, it would happen in some distant part of the world, as we cruise a fair amount of time. However, our need and appreciation for it occurred in a less exotic situation. Wife was visiting grandchildren in New York area. At the time we lived in Maryland. An otherwise healthy person, she suddenly developed a serious life threatening infection. Spent nearly a month on IVs in a hospital. When she became a little better and was okay to transfer, Medjet did the job, transfering her from a private jet airport on Long Island to the Washington DC area. She fully recovered and the whole scary event is a distant memory. Was told that if we had to pay for the jet transfer, it would have cost nearly $20,000. We will hit the age soon where Diamond coverage will be our only option, but will almost certainly keep our coverage. Happy to answer any further questions. 

Ed

• Like 2

We bought it because we were going to Europe and Africa. We actually used it last month while in San Diego and my husband broke his hip. They flew him via private jet from San Diego to Phoenix. It only works if you are inpatient and going to another inpatient facility. We chose the facility that he wanted to go to. Their staff was very responsive and proactive in helping us through the process. They even offered to fly me with him, but I decided to drive home. We will definitely be keeping the Medjet insurance. 

• Like 4

We have had MedJet for years.  However, this past year we did find a bit of a surprise upon renewal.  My husband was diagnosed with AFIB.  He was treated successfully with procedures and is using a CPAP machine.  On our last renewal, MedJet said they would not transport him if he had a stroke related to the AFIB.  So, it is worth noting that a preexisting condition upon renewal can have an impact.

32 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

We have had MedJet for years.  However, this past year we did find a bit of a surprise upon renewal.  My husband was diagnosed with AFIB.  He was treated successfully with procedures and is using a CPAP machine.  On our last renewal, MedJet said they would not transport him if he had a stroke related to the AFIB.  So, it is worth noting that a preexisting condition upon renewal can have an impact.

Wow..I’ve never heard that.  That is disturbing.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

Are you purchasing in the age 75 plus diamond category where a physician letter is required, or is this pre existing condition restriction you are encountering applicable to under age 75 purchases for which no medical form is required?

33 minutes ago, edgee said:

Are you purchasing in the age 75 plus diamond category where a physician letter is required, or is this pre existing condition restriction you are encountering applicable to under age 75 purchases for which no medical form is required?

34 minutes ago, edgee said:

It is for the age 75 plus category and medical forms are required.

So bottom line is that if you are under age 75, there are zero pre-existing condition exclusions to be concerned about. For those over 75, how broadly the pre-existing condition definition is interpreted may be a concern. In our experience several years ago, the travel medicine team at the University of Pittsburgh was active in medically related decision making and were very professional.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 10:25 PM, Csphoenix said:

It only works if you are inpatient and going to another inpatient facility. We chose the facility that he wanted to go to.

This is quite an important factor for all of us.  The way that I look at Medjet, is as a supplement to the other travel insurance I buy.  

Another issue (and somewhat difficult to parse out sometimes) is what is considered an "inpatient admission."  It is somewhat standard practice (from what I hear from my clinical colleagues) for patients to be admitted utilizing a process entitled "observation."  There are various (mostly financial reasons)for a hospital to utilize this.  In some eyes, "observation" does not equal "admission".

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, BamaT said:

Can anyone provide the approximate cost of an annual Medjet Assist policy for a "family/couple" over 75 (Diamond category)?  

We checked a couple of years ago and it was $800 per year. Diamond membership is limited to one MedJet transfer per year.

Dave

8 hours ago, Tsunami74 said:

For those of you who have used Medjet, either in US or abroad, how did you get from hospital to the airport?

Do they arrange transport, or is that something you or a companion has to figure out?

The flight nurse goes to the hospital to pick up the patient and get the discharge papers and any necessary meds. Then you’re transported to the airport via ambulance or med transport van. Same thing when you get to your destination city. Remember, it must be a hospital to hospital transfer. 

19 hours ago, Csphoenix said:

The flight nurse goes to the hospital to pick up the patient and get the discharge papers and any necessary meds. Then you’re transported to the airport via ambulance or med transport van. Same thing when you get to your destination city. Remember, it must be a hospital to hospital transfer. 

Thank you -  good to know.

We just bought a two year package.

Good information is found on this site!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 4:18 PM, Eno-Bob said:

A friend recommended a similar service - Global Rescue.  Was wondering if anyone has had any experience with that company?  TIA

Yes. I have MedJet but my husband has Global Rescue. He was quarantined in Jerusalem..not hospitalized ...but they called him every single day to check on him, they called the Covid hotel front desk one day when I couldn't reach him or anyone, and they called the Ministry of Health to help get the letter he needed to be allowed to leave. I couldn't have been more impressed with their service and have renewed with them.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 8:12 PM, sabreline said:

Yes. I have MedJet but my husband has Global Rescue. He was quarantined in Jerusalem..not hospitalized ...but they called him every single day to check on him, they called the Covid hotel front desk one day when I couldn't reach him or anyone, and they called the Ministry of Health to help get the letter he needed to be allowed to leave. I couldn't have been more impressed with their service and have renewed with them.

MedJet's "MedJet Horizon" membership does the same thing. There's an article in FORBES by a writer who was evacuated during Covid because he was a member. So that's the one I got...seems like all the travel writers have it, so figured it was the best one.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, Very Sherry said:

MedJet's "MedJet Horizon" membership does the same thing. There's an article in FORBES by a writer who was evacuated during Covid because he was a member. So that's the one I got...seems like all the travel writers have it, so figured it was the best one.

We use Global Rescue for him because they didn't require a doctor's signature whenMedJet did.