Wines

lhsail

We will be on our first princess cruise in Feb 23 on Majestic, and this thread does not make for good reading when it comes to wines. We are also on the plus package

in the MDR can you ask for a Merlot or a Pinot Gris? will they just bring you a generic Red or white wine? wife is more fussy than me and likes Prosecco / sparkling wine - I assume there is some covered in the plus package? 

We were also impressed with Celebrities wine selection on our first cruise, but we're going on this cruise with an open mind and are looking forward to it

3 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

We just got off the Discovery Princess and I was very disappointed in the wine selection on the Plus package. We're not wine snobs per se, but I do like a good dry rose, a nice Cabernet, and a light pinot grigio. Hubby was happy enough with the pinot grigio, I think it was Canyon Road? But the Charles & Charles rose I got once in Good Spirits was nigh undrinkable. They found me a better one in the MDR thank goodness!

I guess I was spoiled by Celebrity's wine selection, but Princess did have a much better variety of Bourbon and scotches. So it really worked out in the end.

Rams in the house !  

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

We will be on our first princess cruise in Feb 23 on Majestic, and this thread does not make for good reading when it comes to wines. We are also on the plus package

in the MDR can you ask for a Merlot or a Pinot Gris? will they just bring you a generic Red or white wine? wife is more fussy than me and likes Prosecco / sparkling wine - I assume there is some covered in the plus package? 

We were also impressed with Celebrities wine selection on our first cruise, but we're going on this cruise with an open mind and are looking forward to it

You can order specific glasses of wine, but the selection was limited. If you only have the Plus package, you can simply pay the difference for any of the "Premium" selections.

It was the Mexican Riviera and I prefer a Rose when it's warm. They didn't have a good selection to put it mildly. But I'm sure their selection of Reds is better. They had Port for dessert which was delicious. I was drinking Aperol Spritz by the pool and I'm pretty sure that it was always Prosecco, so those should be covered.

My overall impression was positive. I think the liquor selection was better than Celebrity's (at least in May, but that was a first back to cruising ship so supply chain issues) and I'm sure if you really want a good red, they'll find one for you. The service was top-notch.

5 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

You can order specific glasses of wine, but the selection was limited. If you only have the Plus package, you can simply pay the difference for any of the "Premium" selections.

It was the Mexican Riviera and I prefer a Rose when it's warm. They didn't have a good selection to put it mildly. But I'm sure their selection of Reds is better. They had Port for dessert which was delicious. I was drinking Aperol Spritz by the pool and I'm pretty sure that it was always Prosecco, so those should be covered.

My overall impression was positive. I think the liquor selection was better than Celebrity's (at least in May, but that was a first back to cruising ship so supply chain issues) and I'm sure if you really want a good red, they'll find one for you. The service was top-notch.

thanks for that - puts us a bit more at ease

We are on a transatlantic now and I just brought on a bottle in Bordeaux. DH doesn’t drink so it usually takes me a few days to go through a bottle. If I bring it to the dining room, will they store it for the next evening for me as they do when I have bought their bottles?

10 hours ago, Muffinz said:

You can order the varietal and that’s what you will get.  You just may not know the winery where it was produced.  I am not a huge fan of their Canyon Road Chardonnay but their Pinot Grigio was much better.  Under the Plus package, they found a Decoy Chardonnay for me, which was quite drinkable.  You can always go to Vines and pay an upcharge for a nicer wine by the glass or even purchase a bottle with a 25% discount.  They may even give you a double pour to take to the dining room.  
BTW, the Prosecco that we were given on the Royal recently was quite good and included in the plus package.  Bellinis will have a larger selection of bubbly wines.  
I think  each ship will have different policies and each bar stocks different wines but you can probably find something you will enjoy.  

• Like 1

A couple of notes in addition to what others have added.

I am glad you upgraded to the premium package.  We have always found the wines at Vines to be very good.  I would suggest if you spend a couple of nights at Vines before dinner with wine and their appetizers a couple of things will VERY likely happen.  First the steward will likely ask if you want to take an extra glass of wine with you to dinner which is nice for two reasons, one the wine is good and two the glass will be a nice Reidel glass, which if you are a bit of a wine snob like me, you will appreciate.  You will need to return the glass to Vines later that night, but you will likely have the same opportunity the next night.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

We are on a transatlantic now and I just brought on a bottle in Bordeaux. DH doesn’t drink so it usually takes me a few days to go through a bottle. If I bring it to the dining room, will they store it for the next evening for me as they do when I have bought their bottles?

they definitely will. Hope you get the same servers you had the previous night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, deultgen said:

A couple of notes in addition to what others have added.

I am glad you upgraded to the premium package.  We have always found the wines at Vines to be very good.  I would suggest if you spend a couple of nights at Vines before dinner with wine and their appetizers a couple of things will VERY likely happen.  First the steward will likely ask if you want to take an extra glass of wine with you to dinner which is nice for two reasons, one the wine is good and two the glass will be a nice Reidel glass, which if you are a bit of a wine snob like me, you will appreciate.  You will need to return the glass to Vines later that night, but you will likely have the same opportunity the next night.   

We have always had the same experience. We promise, with a capital P, to bring back the glasses, then always do so. Celebrity has all Reidel, which spoils us. 

• Like 1