Tipping

lsw9658

I’m trying to find posts about tipping on MSC, but we’re on the ship(!) and the search function is a little slow. I’m looking for input from veteran MSC folks, what is your experience, what would you advise? Thank you! 🛳️

1 hour ago, lsw9658 said:

I’m trying to find posts about tipping on MSC, but we’re on the ship(!) and the search function is a little slow. I’m looking for input from veteran MSC folks, what is your experience, what would you advise? Thank you! 🛳️

This topic has been covered a thousand times, I'd recommend you simply talk to fellow cruisers on board! 😉

We give our Room Steward extra, Cabins are still serviced twice a day, always makes their day a little brighter! If we have a Bar Server who looks out for us and often one we have gotten to know throughout the cruise we do the same. MSC has one of the lowest Daily Service Fees in the Industry. Something extra always gets a big smile and thank you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lsw9658 said:

University Level Look at Tipping as a Social Norm

Tipping has several different forms, : reward-tipping, price tipping, tipping-in advance, bribery-tipping, holiday-tipping and gift-tipping. The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges [aka discretionary service charges] that are sometimes added to the bill (for example in many European countries), imposed gratuities (US restaurants often impose a 15-18 percent gratuity for large parties – usually six diners or more), [cruise ship imposed gratuities]and imposed tips (for example some tour packages include a certain amount that the consumer has to pay for tips). Indeed, these cases have little in common with voluntary tipping.

Tipping is a social norm that is economic in nature, in many cases the social norm of tipping has economic justification, as it solves some inefficiency and increases welfare. In particular, it can promote good service where other mechanisms fail to do so. “Norms of social behavior [eg. tipping] including ethical and moral codes. I (Arrow) suggest that they are reactions of society to compensate for market failures.”

P.S.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23748777_The_Social_Norm_of_Tipping_A_Review

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:46 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Tipping has several different forms, : reward-tipping, price tipping, tipping-in advance, bribery-tipping, holiday-tipping and gift-tipping. The common feature of all forms of tipping is the voluntary and discretionary nature of the tip: the consumer is free to choose how much to tip, if at all. This definition excludes service charges [aka discretionary service charges] that are sometimes added to the bill (for example in many European countries), imposed gratuities (US restaurants often impose a 15-18 percent gratuity for large parties – usually six diners or more), [cruise ship imposed gratuities]and imposed tips (for example some tour packages include a certain amount that the consumer has to pay for tips). Indeed, these cases have little in common with voluntary tipping.

Tipping is a social norm that is economic in nature, in many cases the social norm of tipping has economic justification, as it solves some inefficiency and increases welfare. In particular, it can promote good service where other mechanisms fail to do so. “Norms of social behavior [eg. tipping] including ethical and moral codes. I (Arrow) suggest that they are reactions of society to compensate for market failures.”

P.S.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23748777_The_Social_Norm_of_Tipping_A_Review

Sorry what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:46 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

You appear to have missed that for most of the Globe tipping is not the social norm and, in some Countries, it is seen as an insult! UK bookings have the daily service charge (Gratuities) included in the cruise fare. It is clearly up to Individuals if they choose to reward staff members at the end of their cruise, but low wages and this includes the US should not be used by an employer to expect/use tips as a way of subsidising their workforce wages.

• Like 2

As a former hairstylist I greatly appreciated receiving a gratuity. 
We reward good service with gratuities. That’s just how “we” do it. 
I’ve never been insulted when someone tipped me and I’ve travelled to many countries and never had the receiver of our gratuity been insulted. In fact in countries where tipping is supposedly frowned upon we have been graciously thanked. 

It’s subjective. Do what makes you feel is the right thing to do not what everyone else is doing. 

We have always tipped our MDR crew and room stewards extra and will continue to do so because we always receive exemplary service (for the most part)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, styles27 said:

It’s subjective. Do what makes you feel is the right thing to do not what everyone else is doing. 

We have always tipped our MDR crew and room stewards extra and will continue to do so because we always receive exemplary service (for the most part)

Agree, the extra is always appreciated, I am happy when I can add some joy to the hard workers who make my vacation the best. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidari said:

You appear to have missed that for most of the Globe tipping is not the social norm and, in some Countries, it is seen as an insult! UK bookings have the daily service charge (Gratuities) included in the cruise fare. It is clearly up to Individuals if they choose to reward staff members at the end of their cruise, but low wages and this includes the US should not be used by an employer to expect/use tips as a way of subsidising their workforce wages.

Ever word in  " quotations " are words from the academics, not mine. "should not be used by an employer (your words)...." We can all agree. So tipping.... " I (Arrow) suggest that they are reactions of society to compensate for market failures.”

Edited by morpheusofthesea

2 hours ago, sidari said:

UK bookings have the daily service charge (Gratuities) included in the cruise fare.

"This definition excludes service charges [aka discretionary service charges] that are sometimes added to the bill (for example in many European countries), imposed gratuities (for example some tour packages include a certain amount that the consumer has to pay for tips). Indeed, these cases have little in common with voluntary tipping."

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

As a former hairstylist I greatly appreciated receiving a gratuity. 
We reward good service with gratuities. That’s just how “we” do it. 
I’ve never been insulted when someone tipped me and I’ve travelled to many countries and never had the receiver of our gratuity been insulted. In fact in countries where tipping is supposedly frowned upon we have been graciously thanked. 

Yeah! But note that not all the cultures are like the US or the Caribbean Islands. Here in Portugal, tips are just expected as a way of rounding to facilitate hand money accountability. Receive an EUR 19.55 bill? Give an EUR 20.00 note to the servers and they'll be more than happy. If you give one or 2 EUR they'll generally to find strange. Not insulted, just strange. No tips expected if one pays with a card. Tips appreciated if you're being served in a large group though, but it should only to be a small nominal one per person.

MSC highly discourages tipping, at least here in Europe. That said, if you want to tip extra, do it in such a discrete way. I usually give an extra just for cabin steward and MDR server that way.

• Like 1