Question about "included" alcoholic beverages

BillK400

Just booked a cruise(Nov. 2023 South America/Amazon River) and I noted that they indicate alcoholic beverages are "included". Is this just at meals or anytime? Not that we drink much but is there a specific number of drinks/day? We took an Azamara cruise about 9 years ago and as I recall alcoholic drinks (wine & beer) were only at lunch and dinner?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, BillK400 said:

Just booked a cruise(Nov. 2023 South America/Amazon River) and I noted that they indicate alcoholic beverages are "included". Is this just at meals or anytime? Not that we drink much but is there a specific number of drinks/day? We took an Azamara cruise about 9 years ago and as I recall alcoholic drinks (wine & beer) were only at lunch and dinner?

Thanks!

Anytime-there are specific brands included and there are upgraded drink/wine packages you can purchase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BillK400 said:

Thanks!

The included drinks are available anytime, and no limit on number.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BillK400 said:

Thanks!

I think your memory fails you!

AFAIK Azamara have never had such a policy - but the 'usual suspects' may leap in to correct this!

8 minutes ago, blag said:

I think your memory fails you!

AFAIK Azamara have never had such a policy - but the 'usual suspects' may leap in to correct this!

Maybe I had too many drinks on that cruise to remember correctly!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BillK400 said:

Thanks!

That was the policy about 9 years ago on AMA (AmaWaterways) river cruises* –  could you be confused on the initials?

but AMA has recently added a happy hour before dinner with free drinks.

2 hours ago, BillK400 said:

Thanks!

House beverage package on Oceania perhaps?

Definitely on our first cruise on Azamara in 2010 it was only wine & beer at meal times, I can remember because we didn’t realise you could have the wine in bars during meal times not just the restaurants.

I think it must have changed not long after as I’m sure drinks were included on our second Azamara cruise in 2011.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, uktog said:

In the early days they only offered drinks with the meals, it was not until about 2013 that they changed.  We had done 4 cruises on Azamara before it changed

Memory plays tricks, our second Azamara cruise was 2011 with friends and our 3rd was in 2014 traveling with the same friends so 2013 could well be the year it changed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uktog said:

In the early days they only offered drinks with the meals, it was not until about 2013 that they changed.  We had done 4 cruises on Azamara before it changed

Who can forget the heated exchanges on this Board when Larry P. announced the “more inclusive”  policy?

Some posters were convinced that this change would result in the “Carnivalization” of Azamara and perhaps the inevitable “hairy chest” and “belly flop” contests at the pool. Okay, that may be an exaggeration but there was a concern that drunkenness might be a common problem.

There was so much concern that cruisers were offered the opportunity to cancel (at no penalty if memory serves) and our first CBO here,  Bill Leiber, earned his pay.

Fortunately, it doesn’t appear that the worst has occurred, but in a positive light the rather unique attachment to the Azamara experience means that any change onboard continues to often be met with valid concern as to its possible impact.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

That was the policy about 9 years ago on AMA (AmaWaterways) river cruises* –  could you be confused on the initials?

but AMA has recently added a happy hour before dinner with free drinks.

No, it was Azamara, I am sure of that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nordski said:

Who can forget the heated exchanges on this Board when Larry P. announced the “more inclusive”  policy?

Some posters were convinced that this change would result in the “Carnivalization” of Azamara and perhaps the inevitable “hairy chest” and “belly flop” contests at the pool. Okay, that may be an exaggeration but there was a concern that drunkenness might be a common problem.

There was so much concern that cruisers were offered the opportunity to cancel (at no penalty if memory serves) and our first CBO here,  Bill Leiber, earned his pay.

Fortunately, it doesn’t appear that the worst has occurred, but in a positive light the rather unique attachment to the Azamara experience means that any change onboard continues to often be met with valid concern as to its possible impact.

I came in second in a legs contest on NCL [I don't think it was called 'hairy legs,' but not sure what the adjective was at this point].  Not winning has nothing to do with why I won't sail NCL ever again...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, nordski said:

What is a CBO?

3 hours ago, blag said:

What is a CBO?

Chief Blogging Officer a role Azamara no longer supports. Bill was the most fantastic person. He was a retired very experienced senior player on the industry and was the CEOs ears on these boards, he did not get involved in individual booking queries but he did listen to general debate. He also knew where to get answers so queries like dare I say bed sizes would get answered very quickly and in great detail. 

If Azamara had an announcement to make he placed it on the boards as soon as it went to the trade press sometimes even before then. 

He did not report to the marketing people, he reported to the CEO, he didn’t write blogs and he certainly wasn’t a spin doctor. When communication from head office wasn’t clear, he fixed it. He said it as it was and if there were issues he listened, sometimes he would give an explanation or a counterview but always you felt he listened. 

Sadly Bill took ill and passed away. Azamara tried to take the successor role in a different direction. By placing it in marketing they lost the independent thinking and direct route to the CEO many here indirectly benefitted from even today. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

A few quick insights about this topic. We took an Azamara cruise in Europe this past summer. On day one we upgraded to the Ultimate Drink Package just of habit. This was a mistake as there were pervasive out of stock on many of the spirit brands on the Ultimate list and wine was simply awful. The house brand served in the regular package was undrinkable and when we asked for a wine with our Ultimate Package at dinner, what they served wasn't much better. On the last day I used my Vivino app and took a picture of what they were serving us. The Rose from the Ultimate Package  that my wife was drinking was $9USD a bottle and Pinot Noir could be bought at retail store for $8. 

Cruise was fantastic, but the alcohol selection with the Ultimate Package was substandard. 

• Like 3