Price match?

micheecruise

Not only would Princess not offer us the rate and the perks that we knew we should get, when we did try to rebook with a great travel agent who actually had it on hold for us,  Princess pretty much kept us from cancelling and rebooking by holding our payment refunds hostage until 'whenever'. 

Showing them that booking on hold, no response.

We weren't able to get thru to the Princess Planner, for weeks and weeks.  Gave up.

If you find a great TA with a good offer, take it.

• Like 1

Interesting discussion and obviously confusion.

A TA cannot offer discounted individual fares.  They can and do offer group fares and can put you into a group they have formed.  This gets you the extra perks.  One of which is usually fully refundable till final payment. 

Princess does not form groups, but if you got a bunch together you would get exactly the same offer from Princess.

A TA can offer OBC that comes from their commission.

A booking made with Princess certainly can be canceled, but not transferred to a TA after a specific number of days.  Your deposits with Princess are. Subject to the terms you agreed to - But probably did not fully understand. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Interesting discussion and obviously confusion.

A TA cannot offer discounted individual fares.  They can and do offer group fares and can put you into a group they have formed.  This gets you the extra perks.  One of which is usually fully refundable till final payment. 

Yes they can.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

We get discounted individual fares quite often from our TA

I think if you look closely they have put you into a group.  You did not need to do anything and Iikely would not notice.  The group is usually shown with a only fare code.  TAs cannot give special discounted individual fares.   They do give discounts to military teachers etc just like Princess.

46 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yes they can.

Hmmm.  Suggest you ask your TA.  They can offer various discounts just like Princess.  My clients usually never know they are in a "group".  It only means your TA blocked a group of cabins - 10+ - and passes the special fare on to you.

When I have a large group I contact the cruiseline and set up a block.  Specific cabins with extra perks and terms.  I then credit the accounts after boarding with extra OBC.

1 hour ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Hmmm.  Suggest you ask your TA.  They can offer various discounts just like Princess.  My clients usually never know they are in a "group".  It only means your TA blocked a group of cabins - 10+ - and passes the special fare on to you.

When I have a large group I contact the cruiseline and set up a block.  Specific cabins with extra perks and terms.  I then credit the accounts after boarding with extra OBC.

I know exactly how my TA does pricing. My TA does discount and I get group perks on top of it. I have been using the same TA for 25 years of cruising. I know how this works.

• Like 1

I think if you look closely they have put you into a group.  You did not need to do anything and Iikely would not notice.  The group is usually shown with a only fare code.  TAs cannot give special discounted individual fares.   They do give discounts to military teachers etc just like Princess.

We get group pricing plus discounts!

She discounts her commission. She is a high producer and works off of volume.

Edited by Coral

They can with Princess. Other lines, they often will write a check to us after the cruise as a discount that comes off of their commission.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I am surprised you are a TA and don't know this exists.....I am guessing you do not specialize in cruising?

4 hours ago, riffatsea said:

It's kind of hard to believe that every cruise I book is also p art of some group!

They call it their agency discount for many randomly different cruises

When cruises open up for initial booking, TAs can arrange with Princess for them to have X number of cabins available for them to sell. This number of cabins is a "group" and the TA gets a discount on the pricing which may (but does not have to) be passed on in all or part to the customer.

The TA also gets "amenity points" that can be used to give customers perks such as OBC, wine, specialty dining, etc. The TA could also choose to use the points to get a higher commission instead of passing them on as a perk to the customer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1