GeorgiaPeach Sails the Atlantic on Splendor

GeorgiaPeach51

So, one more piece of info on the two wayward passengers…..WP’s.

We happened to eat dinner tonight with a couple who have the adjacent suite to the WP’s.  The husband mentioned that he spoke with the male WP this morning and could tell something was a little off with the understanding regarding what passengers had to do for Border Control….he didn’t seem to think it applied to him since he is not an American citizen.  So he took pains to very specifically tell Mr. WP exactly what his responsibilities were regarding debarking.  

I don’t see how Regent could have been any more specific and detailed with information.  There were information sheets in our suites.  There were multiple and ongoing announcements.  Also, Mr and Mrs. WP are English speaking so language was not a barrier.  And that is all I will say on the matter.  Thanks to all who responded re their understanding of Regent vs port vs immigration responsibilities.

• Like 2

That is the same excuse used every time!    I’m not a citizen of x country,  so it doesn’t apply to me. Good grief…..

On a happier note, your post have been most enjoyable. Made even more so since we will board the Splendor for the first time Sat! Not our first Regent cruise just the first on one of the newest ships!

Thanks for taking time to post!

Edited by cwn
  • Like 1

Georgia Peach, THANK YOU for taking the time on your trip to share with all of us.  I have been very much enjoying vicariously cruising with you.  I have a question about the wine lunch.  It looks like something I would really enjoy, especially if there is some educational presentation about the wines served -- something about them and why they are a good pairing with each course.  Did they do that, or were they just served as listed with each course, but without commentary?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cwn said:

That is the same excuse used every time!    I’m not a citizen of x country,  so it doesn’t apply to me. Good grief…..

The classic one was heard during a face to face inspection on board ship immediately pre-CV.  "But I didn't think I needed to do this because I have a Global Passport"   (I believe she meant Global Entry...)        *sigh*

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, BBWC said:

This is not something Regent decides, it is US immigration authorities. I have also seen similar issues when crew did not have to face immigration. In any case, no passengers can get off until all crew are processed.

As for the wheelchairs, they are supposed to be provided by the port authority. Every time we leave the ship in Miami, Regent makes an announcement that they are not allowed to provide any support off the ship. I think it is because the crew’s visas don’t allow them to “work” in the US.

Yesterday, during the immigration in San Juan, I noticed two US members of the production cast assisting some passengers needing help getting back on the ship.  

• Thanks 1

Here is the daily for today.  Of particular note—the Krew Kapers and the CHOCOHOLIC Tea are both today!  

image.thumb.jpeg.b85de18dc73466efbc6bfb4ecadc455a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.7f23532dd0c75b0d7c3894593d7b6097.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.4a7eb234b228c3656c9dd08c3ac78d20.jpeg

If anyone is unfamiliar with the Krew Kapers, the crew members demonstrate their talents to charm the audience.  The one we saw on Explorer just touched my heart.  Well worth seeing.  Looking forward to this one.  And the tea, well, again, I will at least try to take photos for you.  Today may be my scone day.  I’ll let you know.

Coming up will be the differences we see between our Explorer cruise on a half empty ship as soon as sailing started again, and this ship, which is, I think, almost full.  It tells you something that we have four future cruises booked on Regent, but there ARE some differences.  I just need to set my feet in the direction of the Coffee Connection first.

BTW, I apologize for the photos being out of order to my references as I post.  Try as I might they seem to shuffle themselves like cards and appear however they want.  I know I could post one by one and assure the desired order but then I would post less due to the aggravation.  Thanks to @forgapI was able to fix my upside down photos, and that tested the limits of my technical skill.  

Regarding internet, though I have heard some grumbles about connectivity, there was only one day when I wanted to pitch my iPad overboard.  That is not too bad and is in my own range of acceptable. Others may have different needs and expectations.

It is December 1.  My inner child keeps hoping for Christmas decorations to appear, but nothing yet.

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 1:21 AM, Techno123 said:

He absolutely is 👍👍

Hey Techno,

Sorted out my renewal. The first set of documents said I had to pay £50 more this year. One quick call and I’m now paying £6 less this year!!

Apologies to GeorgiaPeach for crashing in on the holiday news, I was just so chuffed to get this deal I wanted to spread the word.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Comparing Explorer cruise to Splendor.  

I start this comparison by noting once again the Biggest difference.  Explorer was half full since it was one of the first once ships were allowed to sail again.  That is the reason I wrote the first blog.  There are differences, but for us it has been subtle.  I have to preface this by saying that we are pretty much happy campers in most situations.  We do not complain often, and it has to be on the egregious side for us to voice a complaint.  Our perspective leans toward gratitude that we get to experience ships the caliber of Regent because we never in a million years dreamed that we would be able to afford such elegant cruises.  And, keep in mind that we do not have the Regent experience many passengers on this ship have.  The more familiar you are with a particular experience the more you have to compare and probably you are more sensitive to shortcomings or differences.

Also, we have done about 18 Celebrity cruises, with brief forays early in our cruising history into Carnival, Princess, and Holland America.  So, most of our mindset is a comparison to Celebrity.  For us, Regent exceeds the Celebrity suite experience by a mile.  One reason for this is that on Celebrity, the suite experience is separate from the rest of the ship.  You have the Retreat area, which is very nice, and you have Luminae, the suite restaurant.  But the rest of the ship is not a luxury experience, IMO.  

On Regent you have the suite experience everywhere you go and it makes a big difference.  After so many years and so many dollars that I wish I had back, we just felt that the expense did not provide the value we required.  I think you need to know our history so you know why some things that might bother you do not bother us, and what we value may not be the same for you.

On Explorer we were like wide eyed kids just boggled by how lovely everything was.  The suite itself, with drawer space to spare, the big closet, the orchid in the room, the separate seating area and the drapes to separate the two sections.  We loved the variety of restaurants and the chance to eat lovely lunches in them on sea days.  The drinks were wonderful and no matter where you ordered a drink, it was make the same way in every bar.  That was a small irk we had with Celebrity.  Every time you ordered the same drink, you got a different variation, based on how freely the bartender sloshed the ingredients into the glass.

While we found that little problem nonexistent on Explorer, we have not found quite the same consistency on this ship.  I think it is a training issue, and they seem pretty close to solving it, but there is room for improvement.  It is easily solved by sending back a drink that doesn’t meet expectations, and I think that is what everyone should do so that the bartenders know they need to stick to the recipe.  If we all drink whatever appears they don’t know they need to up their game.

Food has been excellent, and is even more subjective than drinks.  That said, there have been a few meals that were slightly disappointing. In every case, the situation was remedied, or met with a reaction just short of hand wringing in their eagerness to fix the offending dish.  Here is an example…..you can, with adequate notice, request a particular special meal in Compass Rose.  My husband, who thinks lobster is the food of the Gods, requested a lobster roll one night for dinner.  Unbeknownst to us, that created such a stir and so much anxiety for the CR staff.  We received two separate messages from the CR staff asking anxiously for us to call or come to elaborate on exactly what this lobster roll is.  Is it warm or is it cold?  Is it similar to what is made in Pacific 

Rim?  I just wanted to hug them all.  When we went to eat that night in CR our table was visited twice by information seekers regarding this mysterious lobster roll.  In the end, my husband decided to just go with the normal excellent lobster tail and all was well.   Now how can you not be just charmed by so much attention to the desires of a single passenger?

I can tell you one thing that my husband DID officially complain about, and the result.  He loves 20 year port.  He requested it in the Pacific Rim after dinner and was told there would be an additional charge.  He encountered the same response in Compass Rose the next night.  That did it.  He sought the affable Food and Beverage Manager and basically said, “I am offended that I am paying X dollars per day per person and you are trying to charge me $15 for a glass of port from a bottle that can be purchased at Costco for about $38?”  He received a positive response and the charge went away and has not been mentioned since.

I do have to say that while we have not personally run into any provisions issues, other have shared that they have been less than happy about not receiving the Patron Silver or the Crown Royal they requested in their suite.  And I do know that, at least early in the cruise, there was so sake in Pacific Rim.  I would think that these issues will be corrected once the ship hits Miami and they can hopefully restock the supplies.

We have been impressed with how fresh the fruits, berries and vegetables are on the ship.  This is helped, of course, by the smaller buffet quantities with frequent replenishment, which is a big improvement over every other cruise line we have experienced.  The meat portions do not seem to be smaller or thinner, and the beauteous cronuts remain the crowning achievement and superstar food as far as I am concerned.  

I will return with more thoughts later.  It is time to play a serious game of Baggo, passengers vs the very accomplished officers, who annihilated us last time.  They can boast of their sniper-like accuracy for sure.  I personally think they should have to play with their non-dominant hand!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NCCruzQueen said:

Yesterday, during the immigration in San Juan, I noticed two US members of the production cast assisting some passengers needing help getting back on the ship.  

I have seen entertainment staff help with checking in on embarkation day, but I think they have a different type of visa. Doesn’t NCL have a US-based facility where the production casts, including Regent’s, practice the shows? So I assume they are allowed to work in the US.

• Thanks 1

Differences, continued.

The Coffee Connection is much brighter and seems larger than on Explorer.  It is more inviting to us, but that is just personal preference.  Visually, some parts of Splendor I like better others I like Explorer better.  I tend to lean more to darker, clubby colors than sleek marble and silver.

One person mentioned that at the pool the servers are not coming around to get drink orders.  She said you have to go to the bar to order your drink.  I am not a pool or sun person so have no direct experience with this.  She is a very experienced Regent cruiser snd she feels that there are some service issues she has encountered.  She is not as happy with this cruise as she has been with others…all I can do is report back to you what I have heard.

I think David Nevin is an outstanding CD.  Talented, funny, personable.  The entertainment staff is excellent, and do a good job with their many interactions with passengers.  Entertainment is great, both the guest performers and the ship staff.  

I like the Vero water machines.  You can get room temp water or ice water….and since I don’t like drinking ice water most of the time, that is a 👍🏻 from me.  The ice cream on board is very good, and they offer multiple kinds of toppings.  They also offer different types of sundaes, which I am tempted by but have not tried.

The passengers are lovely.  We have met so, so many nice people.  It has been really fun.  This is the first time on any ship that we have asked to be seated with strangers and I have loved it.  People are just fascinating.  I have not witnessed any ugly incidents that you sometimes see when people are at reception yelling about something,  The only wrinkle has been the WP experience, and that is certainly out of Regent’s control.  I would love to know if those two were fined.  (It was stated on the paperwork we received that passengers who did not comply could be subject to a fine).  I hope they were but we will never know.  

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

Differences, continued.

The Coffee Connection is much brighter and seems larger than on Explorer.  It is more inviting to us, but that is just personal preference.  Visually, some parts of Splendor I like better others I like Explorer better.  I tend to lean more to darker, clubby colors than sleek marble and silver.

One person mentioned that at the pool the servers are not coming around to get drink orders.  She said you have to go to the bar to order your drink.  I am not a pool or sun person so have no direct experience with this.  She is a very experienced Regent cruiser snd she feels that there are some service issues she has encountered.  She is not as happy with this cruise as she has been with others…all I can do is report back to you what I have heard.

I think David Nevin is an outstanding CD.  Talented, funny, personable.  The entertainment staff is excellent, and do a good job with their many interactions with passengers.  Entertainment is great, both the guest performers and the ship staff.  

I like the Vero water machines.  You can get room temp water or ice water….and since I don’t like drinking ice water most of the time, that is a 👍🏻 from me.  The ice cream on board is very good, and they offer multiple kinds of toppings.  They also offer different types of sundaes, which I am tempted by but have not tried.

The passengers are lovely.  We have met so, so many nice people.  It has been really fun.  This is the first time on any ship that we have asked to be seated with strangers and I have loved it.  People are just fascinating.  I have not witnessed any ugly incidents that you sometimes see when people are at reception yelling about something,  The only wrinkle has been the WP experience, and that is certainly out of Regent’s control.  I would love to know if those two were fined.  (It was stated on the paperwork we received that passengers who did not comply could be subject to a fine).  I hope they were but we will never know.  

We recently heard from friends who were on Splendor not too long ago that they ordered Crown Royal and were told it was not available but that JW Scotch was then put into the CR bottles and served. As an ex Canuck (David Nevin is one of us, albeit not an "ex) I would view this as sacriligous and would probably become a tad vocal. I am trusting CR will be onboard for our March TA on Splendor. Great reports, GP, from another GP from Georgia. 

• Like 1

In the interest of balance I specifically asked a Regent regular who has been on the ship for multiple back to backs what she thought of the cruise. She replied that she had no issues.  She has seen a few service struggles as new ones work on their learning curve, but no biggies.  She is like me, I think.  I just don’t get wrapped up in tiny details.  The big picture is our overall satisfaction, and we both remain very happy with what Regent offers.

We had lunch today in Prime 7 and our sweet waiter is from Ukraine.  Now, there is a reality check.  Electricity, heat, water, food, silence, peace of mind, sense of security, a restful night’s sleep, knowledge that those I love are safe and secure.  All scarce or totally missing.  So, no, I not going to whine in this trip report about piddly stuff.

it was very busy in Prime 7 and while service was slower than what we have experienced it was no big deal.  It’s not like we have an appointment anywhere.  The same is true in Compass Rose.  It seems very busy to me.  I have sympathy for trying to staff when you have no idea regarding the whims of passengers.  This would be true for all meals in Compass Rose, La Veranda, Sette Mari and the restaurants at lunch.  Remember that I reported that we ate two successive nights in Sette Mari?  One night was jam packed and the next had lots of empty tables.  Roll of the dice.

I have not mentioned the S word.  Suitcase.  Odious.  Double ugh.  Triple, even.  I’m mentally resistant to the idea that said suitcase is going to appear like a dark wraith and glower at me till I fill it.  In some ways it feels like we just boarded.  However, my clothes tell me otherwise.  I am just about fooded out.  I asked the person who was on the ship for so long how in the world you handle the food over that length of time and she said that after the first couple of weeks you settle into pretty much how you eat at home.  I’ll take her experienced word for it, because we have really enjoyed ourselves.  

But we have four cruises booked, and that tells you that we are very happy with what Regent has to offer.  We will be on the Navigator, Miami to Montreal next May.  Then in October we will be on the Voyager, Athens to Rome.  Then in April 2024 we will do the Grandeur, New York to Barcelona.  And finally, the Explorer, Hong Kong to Bali in November, 2024.  Nothing for 2025 yet.  I hope to see some of you on board!

I have reported before that I will be the one wailing when it is time to disembark.  But I will think about that tomorrow, to paraphrase Scarlett’s response to Rhett Butler.  Right now I am getting ready to head to the Chocoholics Tea.  Have I got my priorities straight or what?  I will try to dazzle you with photos and if I do not partake of chocolate, I will, by golly, investigate the scones!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

We had lunch today in Prime 7 and our sweet waiter is from Ukraine.  Now, there is a reality check.  Electricity, heat, water, food, silence, peace of mind, sense of security, a restful night’s sleep, knowledge that those I love are safe and secure.  All scarce or totally missing.  So, no, I not going to whine in this trip report about piddly stuff.

GeorgiaPeach51 you have hit the nail on the head there. We should all thank whichever deity we worship that despite some of the difficulties we are all experiencing and the very minor blips which those of us fortunate enough to cruise on a Regent ship might experience, there are people in this world who are fighting for their freedom 💕💕💕💕💕 🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

• Like 5

Georgia Peach I think I speak for most and say you are a true delight!  It will be us who are screaming when they drag you and your suitcases off the ship.  I have never enjoyed a blog more.  Your Explorer report was fantastic…this one is Beyond!  Thank you. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

In the interest of balance I specifically asked a Regent regular who has been on the ship for multiple back to backs what she thought of the cruise. She replied that she had no issues.  She has seen a few service struggles as new ones work on their learning curve, but no biggies.  She is like me, I think.  I just don’t get wrapped up in tiny details.  The big picture is our overall satisfaction, and we both remain very happy with what Regent offers.

it was very busy in Prime 7 and while service was slower than what we have experienced it was no big deal.  It’s not like we have an appointment anywhere.  The same is true in Compass Rose.  It seems very busy to me.  I have sympathy for trying to staff when you have no idea regarding the whims of passengers.  This would be true for all meals in Compass Rose, La Veranda, Sette Mari and the restaurants at lunch.  Remember that I reported that we ate two successive nights in Sette Mari?  One night was jam packed and the next had lots of empty tables.  Roll of the dice.

I have not mentioned the S word.  Suitcase.  Odious.  Double ugh.  Triple, even.  I’m mentally resistant to the idea that said suitcase is going to appear like a dark wraith and glower at me till I fill it.  In some ways it feels like we just boarded.  However, my clothes tell me otherwise.  I am just about fooded out.  I asked the person who was on the ship for so long how in the world you handle the food over that length of time and she said that after the first couple of weeks you settle into pretty much how you eat at home.  I’ll take her experienced word for it, because we have really enjoyed ourselves.  

But we have four cruises booked, and that tells you that we are very happy with what Regent has to offer.  We will be on the Navigator, Miami to Montreal next May.  Then in October we will be on the Voyager, Athens to Rome.  Then in April 2024 we will do the Grandeur, New York to Barcelona.  And finally, the Explorer, Hong Kong to Bali in November, 2024.  Nothing for 2025 yet.  I hope to see some of you on board!

I have reported before that I will be the one wailing when it is time to disembark.  But I will think about that tomorrow, to paraphrase Scarlett’s response to Rhett Butler.  Right now I am getting ready to head to the Chocoholics Tea.  Have I got my priorities straight or what?  I will try to dazzle you with photos and if I do not partake of chocolate, I will, by golly, investigate the scones!

Montreal….our home town. If you need any suggestions….ask away…

On 11/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, vegasdriven said:

GP, going to try and follow your lead re the things we didn’t do first cruise- thanks for the list(except we did do Sette Mari a couple of times, and loved it, as well).

You seem to know just what sort of things we would all like to hear about.

Wouldn’t you know, I just wanted to do my online check in, and my Mac had an attack. Grrrr!

I can do it on the iPad or phone, but I want to print it out, as well as mobile..

oh well, we certainly have time to figure it out.

Nice to see Zqueeze jumping back in here. Miss his wonderful posts- wish he would take another cruise!

Thanks for the kind words.

Your wish is my command.  We recently retired and are building a house, so we have been out of pocket for a while.  But, we just booked the Splendor for a 13 June 23 sailing from London to Stockholm and will run another corny thread.  

Back to GP. 

Z and TB

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

@SusieQft  You will be happy, then!  There was commentary about the wines, information about them, and why they were appropriate to each dish.  I learned a lot, and of course, it is such a pleasure to drink really superb wine rather than the wines we normally drink.  

Really hoping we can sign up to this on our forthcoming transatlantic on Voyager. Thank you for all the fab positive posts about it. 

• Like 1

Chocoholics Tea was well attended.  Here is a feast for the eyes…

image.thumb.jpeg.eb8f0e69ad3996f0b524d04747d260c2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.77a243070b1190284d2d8244e1ddf44a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.4d891ccf81228ddbdd5b6682370e5f37.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ecf0be3ed2581da2653528cf6aaaaaf2.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.01178f99798c0d9a8d0fe15e010b3ed0.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.80ca571a9e2c9f7a71a1624caa710e9b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.c50c42edc6e67a220673e47466e95d97.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ceb904a06451458d17d37d6f534c54b6.jpeg

I did have a scone, which comes with jam and clotted cream.  It was yummy.  I only ate half but was sorely tempted.  My husband tasted some of the chocolate goodies, as he called them, and found them superlative.  So if you are boarding soon, start dieting now, because once you board it is all bets off, and your will power will be tested and will probably be in shreds by the time you waddle off the ship.  Honestly.  

Unless you have will power up the wazoo and nerves of steel and have lost the ability to smell and your vision is starting to fade.  If you have all four of these factors, you will be okay, because temptation, you knoweth not.  Everyone else, just forget it and enjoy some really excellent food.

The crew show was wonderful.  Loved it.  Don’t miss it.  It will make your heart happy.

And here is the final daily, the one for tomorrow..

image.thumb.jpeg.143d0240945c0f18be5f5c6230c38f1b.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e7d0859afb3eed8a354b4f788eb6e439.jpeg

Edited by GeorgiaPeach51
  • Like 1

Wow, the chocolate tea looked amazing.

Thanks for the dieting tips, I’m not sure I have enough time to work off the weight I’m sure I will be putting on in less than 3 weeks.

Thank you, GeorgiaPeach, you have brought Splendour to life and given us great tips for our cruise. Hope the nasty suitcase situation has resolved itself!

• Haha 1

@GeorgiaPeach51 adding my thanks to the legions who already have. We board Explorer in 10 days - first cruise since we got off Navigator in January 2020…..

…..Appetite’s are definitely whetted, excitement levels barely contained.

Enjoy your last day and safe travels home.

LP 

• Thanks 1