Japan to reopen to cruise ships!

Hlitner

4 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We will  be staying in Yokohama a few days before boarding our ship for a 42 day cruise that will end in Seattle.  I will take some antigen self-tests with us.  My concern is that if either of us tests positive would we be able to stay in our hotel for a week or ten days until we tested negative?  Not sure if any Japanese health laws would come into effect in that case.  Or, would a hotel allow a guest to stay if they knew he had covid?

I believe if you test positive, quarantine for a tourist would be in a designated Covid quarantine facility. 

i see no reason why after serving your 10 day quarantine, you would be ok to rejoin the ship at the next port that’s able to deal with your emigration details. (Not all ports can.) Your cruise line should be able to advise. Take a look at the itinerary and see where you’ll be. The distance may be a barrier for you to solve also.

I don’t believe the Japanese authorities would be a barrier to you rejoining the ship regarding Covid. These tests are CL led not Japan, so you are in their hands. It’s a good question and one I’d recommend asking the CL directly. My own cruise is 16 nights and unfortunately day 10 is a sea day and have left Japan for Alaska, so not feasible for our cruise. It’s wise to plan for any eventualities IMHO and research as you’re doing. What ifs can become real as we found out one year ago sailing the western coast of South America. We had no idea of what would happen and were fortunate the CL stepped in and allowed us to continue to quarantine on the ship or the 6 nights already served would have been extended with a further 14 nights in Ecuador.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:27 PM, les37b said:

Luckily I've managed to source some cheap test kits done via an app which should negate any issue as there will be a lab certificate. Not video needed - so again, seemingly easy to fudge with a little thought if you are minded to do so.

I spoke too soon.

I telephoned Randox to be sure these £11 fit to fly tests were suitable and they are. So I say cruise isn’t until 23 April and won’t be able to collect this week, so will order in one weeks time so can collect the following week.

just gone on to the Randox website… home antigen tests have gone. Phoned and told they’d taken them off last Monday and no longer selling……. So all this one working day after giving me assurances there was plenty available and no plans to stop.

I thought I’d got this all sorted and through bad inaccurate responses I’m now struggling. 

58 minutes ago, les37b said:

just gone on to the Randox website… home antigen tests have gone.

Try QURED https://coviduk.qured.com/shop/products

(Code BATRAVEL20 may still be valid for a discount on their Fit to Fly tests)

Not sure how long they will continue to offer the service as I am sure demand has dropped significantly

• Like 1

Has anyone going to cruise/visit Japan been successful doing the Visit Japan website? I could get myself registered on my tablet--then when I tried to get DH registered on the cell phone--kept coming up with invalid password email--I used his email and reset his password 3 times. AAARRRGGG, good thing we have 60 days to get it figured out--hopefully once we find out hotel/address in Kobe--or Osaka from Silversea. We only have 1 hour40 min in Haneda so don't think we can do it without the app.  

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Try QURED https://coviduk.qured.com/shop/products

(Code BATRAVEL20 may still be valid for a discount on their Fit to Fly tests)

Not sure how long they will continue to offer the service as I am sure demand has dropped significantly

Many thanks. I did manage to find another which also gives a second test in case of an inconclusive result so panic over.

https://www.medicspot.co.uk

I was just so annoyed with Randox for their awful responses.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:52 AM, les37b said:

I believe if you test positive, quarantine for a tourist would be in a designated Covid quarantine facility. 

i see no reason why after serving your 10 day quarantine, you would be ok to rejoin the ship at the next port that’s able to deal with your emigration details. (Not all ports can.) Your cruise line should be able to advise. Take a look at the itinerary and see where you’ll be. The distance may be a barrier for you to solve also.

I don’t believe the Japanese authorities would be a barrier to you rejoining the ship regarding Covid. These tests are CL led not Japan, so you are in their hands. It’s a good question and one I’d recommend asking the CL directly. My own cruise is 16 nights and unfortunately day 10 is a sea day and have left Japan for Alaska, so not feasible for our cruise. It’s wise to plan for any eventualities IMHO and research as you’re doing. What ifs can become real as we found out one year ago sailing the western coast of South America. We had no idea of what would happen and were fortunate the CL stepped in and allowed us to continue to quarantine on the ship or the 6 nights already served would have been extended with a further 14 nights in Ecuador.

Of course it would be bad news if one of us tested positive, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  We are on the Westerdam for 42 days starting in Yokohama and ending in Seattle.  It is three 14 day cruises B2B2B from Yokohama.  So if we happen to catch it on the flight over, or in the airport, we would just quarantine in Yokohama, enjoy a few extra days in the area and rejoin the ship on the second cruise from Yokohama.  Probably a smart thing to do would be to find a cheaper hotel for 14 days if we have to miss the first cruise.

Ray

On 2/4/2023 at 12:35 AM, USN59-79 said:

Of course it would be bad news if one of us tested positive, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.  We are on the Westerdam for 42 days starting in Yokohama and ending in Seattle.  It is three 14 day cruises B2B2B from Yokohama.  So if we happen to catch it on the flight over, or in the airport, we would just quarantine in Yokohama, enjoy a few extra days in the area and rejoin the ship on the second cruise from Yokohama.  Probably a smart thing to do would be to find a cheaper hotel for 14 days if we have to miss the first cruise.

Ray

Where are you planning to stay in Yokohama initially? I’d be interested in any hotel recommendations if you wouldn’t mind posting after your cruise. TIA.

7 hours ago, villauk said:

Where are you planning to stay in Yokohama initially? I’d be interested in any hotel recommendations if you wouldn’t mind posting after your cruise. TIA.

We are staying at Hotel JAL City Kannai Yokohama.  We have stayed there before on previous Yokohama visits.  It is moderate priced, includes breakfast and is close to Chinatown and a subway stop.

Ray

• Thanks 1