Going to puerto vallarta, get ready to tender

Florida_gal_50

11 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Just curious- why are they tendering?   Have they had damage to the port area making  them unable to dock there?

When there are more ships than dock space, someone gets to tender. It happens occasionally every season at PV. Not the end of the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

When there are more ships than dock space, someone gets to tender. It happens occasionally every season at PV. Not the end of the world.

Except for those who are handicapped  . Tenders are not handicapped friendly

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

No one said it was the end of the world. I have not had covid and I'm not interested in being in that  close proximity to others.

2 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Except for those who are handicapped  . Tenders are not handicapped friendly

Exactly.  I'm not sure footed so that's another reason.  

This is for information only and hopefully will be helpful for those that might like to know.  I'm not doing it for the usual pile on.

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Just curious- why are they tendering?   Have they had damage to the port area making  them unable to dock there?

There are 3 ships.  Not sure if this includes us.  I always thought there was room for 3.  I suspect it came down to money but that's my theory.  The crew that I talked to are disappointed because they like their Walmart run.  I don't blame them. It just makes it more difficult and time consuming.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Exactly.  I'm not sure footed so that's another reason.  

This is for information only and hopefully will be helpful for those that might like to know.  I'm not doing it for the usual pile on.

On one of our past cruises ,into Cabo San Lucas ,a tender port ,there was a terrible accident  .A elderly ladies  slipped  between the tender & the tender dock  of the ship  she was in quiet a lot of pain  ,

Many times  seas  have even small swells & not all the tender drivers are  that experienced . We experienced  that  condition on a Celebrity cruise  going into a Hawaii tender port . The person in charge of the tenders is usually the Staff Captain 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There are 3 ships.  Not sure if this includes us.  I always thought there was room for 3.  I suspect it came down to money but that's my theory.  The crew that I talked to are disappointed because they like their Walmart run.  I don't blame them. It just makes it more difficult and time consuming.

Absolutely correct . This is the port  that is very convenient  for Wal Mart  which  you can usually see from the ship ,so it is close . 

PV is a neat port to get to the  walk with the statues  & the shops across  the street  .Then there is the  Cathedral  & Square . During December they celebrate  OurLady of Gradalupe   Feast day & have a show of  Native Indians & Mexican dancers dressed in their costumes . One year I cam corder the entire performance   .To this day it was the very best performance we have ever seen  in Mexico or on the ships we have sailed  there many times   .There was a restaurant in the downtown area that had life sized statues of Liz Taylor & Richard Burton  . 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

On one of our past cruises ,into Cabo San Lucas ,a tender port ,there was a terrible accident  .A elderly ladies  slipped  between the tender & the tender dock  of the ship  she was in quiet a lot of pain  ,

Many times  seas  have even small swells & not all the tender drivers are  that experienced . We experienced  that  condition on a Celebrity cruise  going into a Hawaii tender port . The person in charge of the tenders is usually the Staff Captain 

I had a hard time getting back onboard at that port as well.  Almost fell into the water!  Of course I was not sober at the time!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

I had a hard time getting back onboard at that port as well.  Almost fell into the water!  Of course I was not sober at the time!

That should help ;).  I've had too many scary tender experiences.  No one that I have talked to is  excited about tendering.  From where we are I can't recognize anything so I have no idea where they are dropping people off.  I've been here at least 20 times.

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

That should help ;).  I've had too many scary tender experiences.  No one that I have talked to is  excited about tendering.  From where we are I can't recognize anything so I have no idea where they are dropping people off.  I've been here at least 20 times.

Their is always   the   pier where the fishing boats  dock  😄

• Like 1

I wonder if other cruise lines should follow Cunard's QM2 and impose a "step test" before allowing people onto tenders.  They have 2 tape strips on the floor I think 18 inches apart and if people cannot step across that gap they are not allowed anywhere near the tender.  Of course that might not help getting back on the ship depending on the shoreside refreshments.

Roy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I wonder if other cruise lines should follow Cunard's QM2 and impose a "step test" before allowing people onto tenders.  They have 2 tape strips on the floor I think 18 inches apart and if people cannot step across that gap they are not allowed anywhere near the tender.  Of course that might not help getting back on the ship depending on the shoreside refreshments.

Roy

I don't think that's a bad idea.  Some people have no fear but maybe should?  I tend to be overly cautious.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Just a heads up, PV has room/docking space for three large cruise ships - see pic - at Muelles 1, 2 and 3. If K-dam will be tendering on 19 and 26 Nov, as the RCI ship in the pic is doing, they drew the short end of the stick....twice. That's an old pic, btw, but the three docks remain the same as we speak 

Puerto Vallarta #2.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Just a heads up, PV has room/docking space for three large cruise ships - see pic - at Muelles 1, 2 and 3. If K-dam will be tendering on 19 and 26 Nov, as the RCI ship in the pic is doing, they drew the short end of the stick....twice. That's an old pic, btw, but the three docks remain the same as we speak 

Puerto Vallarta #2.jpg

Thank you for confirming the crew Intel.  

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, lstrong said:

Please let us know where the tender drops you off. If it is far from the port shops area are there shuttles for the walking impaired?  Thank you 

The tender dock in PV is in the corner, right in between Muelles (Docks) #1 and #2 which will put you right smack across the street from the PV Wal-Mart for your local shopping experience 😉 - see map. Also as an FYI in this discussion, crew will still get crew leave, even when tendering, providing that process runs smooth and yes, the PV Wal-Mart is a major crew fav 😉

Puerto Vallarta.jpg

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, lstrong said:

Please let us know where the tender drops you off. If it is far from the port shops area are there shuttles for the walking impaired?  Thank you 

I'm sorry I won't be going ashore.  It's impossible to tell from the ship but if I hear I will let you know.

8 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you for confirming the crew Intel.  

De nada Senora! 😉 Is Henk Draper K-dam's captain or Robert-Jan Kan? And have you had a "Broodje Kroket" at the Grand Dutch Cafe yet? Highly recommended!

• Like 1

cruisetimetables.com and cruisemapper.com show three ships on 23-Nov. There is the Koningsdam, Norwegian Bliss and Carnival Panorama.

There are only two ships in PV on 30-Nov, Koningsdam and Discovery Princess.

If true, not sure why we would not get one of the three docks.

Unless there another web site that shows something different, and is considered more accurate?

15 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

De nada Senora! 😉 Is Henk Draper K-dam's captain or Robert-Jan Kan? And have you had a "Broodje Kroket" at the Grand Dutch Cafe yet? Highly recommended!

Henk, I had to ask because I wasn't sure.  I haven't made it to the Dutch Cafe. I should have gone for it today because I enjoy the broodje kroket.

• Thanks 1