Winter transatlantic crossing on Silversea?

Sweetpea711423

Hi.  I'm considering a transatlantic crossing on the Nova next November 2023 (ending in NY on November 18).  I have done many transatlantic crossings on Cunard over the years (QE2; QM2), but even with those ships specifically built for transatlantic travel, have not done a true winter crossing.

So I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with a winter transatlantic crossing on a Silversea ship.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

When the Nova departs Lisbon for the transatlantic, you'll be squarely in the fall season.  And, when it arrives in New York you'll still be over four weeks away from winter.  With that said, there are scads of people with fall transatlantic experience here in the forum.

I've done 5 Trans-Atlantic crossings and three of the journeys featured mirrored glass type seas.  Absolutely no waves for five days.  The other two had minimal ship movement.  Of course, all were not North Atlantic crossings, but rather Spain to the Caribbean routes.

6 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Today's wave map ... purple is the roughest 🤑

Never done one on a cruise ship but have done plenty on 'working' ships some of which were smaller than SS ships.

Screenshot_20221117_185100_Windy.jpg

Thanks for this.  Could you help interpret this for me?  I'm really not good at understanding what this kind of thing actually means.  Also, you said that you were on some working ships smaller than Silversea.  Were any of those in the Atlantic in November?  If so, how was it?

Thanks

On 11/16/2022 at 7:41 PM, Sweetpea711423 said:

Hi.  I'm considering a transatlantic crossing on the Nova next November 2023 (ending in NY on November 18).  I have done many transatlantic crossings on Cunard over the years (QE2; QM2), but even with those ships specifically built for transatlantic travel, have not done a true winter crossing.

So I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with a winter transatlantic crossing on a Silversea ship.  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

We did a T/A from Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale on the Moon in Nov last year, arriving early Dec, there is a ‘live’ report on here.

5 hours ago, Sweetpea711423 said:

Could you help interpret this for me?  I'm really not good at understanding what this kind of thing actually means.  Also, you said that you were on some working ships smaller than Silversea.  Were any of those in the Atlantic in November?  If so, how was it?

Crossings done at all time of the year. Some good, some bad, and some awful, but we were not deviating for passengers benefit as time was money, and if it was safe then we put up with it.

Attached is a colour chart showing how the colours are graded. This one happens to be for wind, but the colour scheme is the same for waves etc.

Enjoy mother nature .. it will be fine. You will be on a southerly routing.....probably 🤐

Screenshot_20221118_073159_Windy.jpg