Will my hair dryer fry the ship?!

MaraHornraven

Sorry to ask something so ridiculously trivial, but I'm a bit of a fuss pot with drying my hair and need something with a concentrator nozzle on it and a bit of oomph!

• What are the ones on board like (been on QV in 2019 and cannot remember, but I seem to recall they were pretty weak!)
  • If I take my own, will it A: Be confiscated or B: Blow the electrics?!

Like I say, sorry for the trivial question, I did do a search before posting, I promise.  Found one line on another thread that seemed to suggest it would be okay, but what do the experts think?

1 minute ago, carlmm said:

The simple answer is, they are not allowed.

Oh damn!   Found this on the Cunard webpage "Passengers are not permitted to bring on board irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements, however hair dryers, straighteners and curling tongs are permitted."  

https://my.cunard.com/en-gb/mycruise/articles/warnings?otprrf=1

Was pinning my hopes on that!  Tongs and straighteners ok?

So what am I left with on board?  Can anyone confirm what the cabin ones are like?

40 minutes ago, MaraHornraven said:

Sorry to ask something so ridiculously trivial, but I'm a bit of a fuss pot with drying my hair and need something with a concentrator nozzle on it and a bit of oomph!

• What are the ones on board like (been on QV in 2019 and cannot remember, but I seem to recall they were pretty weak!)

Like I say, sorry for the trivial question, I did do a search before posting, I promise.  Found one line on another thread that seemed to suggest it would be okay, but what do the experts think?

We came off the ship QM2 in September and my DW brought hers hairdryer.

When she used the onboard one she liked it so much she will leave hers home next time.

1 hour ago, MaraHornraven said:

DW takes a commercial one identical to her stylist, complete with 3 different nozzles.  
Never had a problem.

• Like 1

Passengers are not permitted to bring on board irons, kettles or appliances with heating elements, however hair dryers, straighteners and curling tongs are permitted.

Hairdryers are allowed - I always take mine and it has never been a problem. In Britannia the hairdryer is fixed in a drawer and I found it awkward to use. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jacqueline said:

It just goes to show how convinced people are about being right on something. Even when the answer in black and white demonstrates that they are incorrect. 

I used to take mine with me but on the first long haul, left it behind [on purpose] and used the one in our cabin [QV].

Since then, I've never brought one along with me. I have thick, just below shoulder length hair and I reckon it takes me an extra five minutes to dry it with the less efficient [than mine] but more than adequate cabin dryer and at least it doesn't fry my hair with excessive heat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Really. Never been to a hairdresser, never owned a hairdryer. But I do find the balcony very helpful in warmer climes.

Probably not much fun in December though!  I think we're in a sheltered balcony, but I guess sticking my head out would increase the volume of my hair!

In any case, thanks to all who replied, I'm unfortunately a bit of a worrier and overthink EVERYTHING! 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MaraHornraven said:

Probably not much fun in December though!  I think we're in a sheltered balcony, but I guess sticking my head out would increase the volume of my hair!

In any case, thanks to all who replied, I'm unfortunately a bit of a worrier and overthink EVERYTHING! 

Possibly one next Cunard worry will be, does one utilise a folding sack truck, or a collapsible four-wheeled trolley, for the cruise beverages?  😉😀

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Possibly one next Cunard worry will be, does one utilise a folding sack truck, or a collapsible four-wheeled trolley, for the cruise beverages?  😉😀

Haha yes, priorities!!  Can I take my hairdryer, then can I sneak on board some booze to save us just a few pennies (although we are STILL umming and ahhing about the drinks packages 🤦‍♀️)  It's not like we're big drinkers or owt, but the last bar bill we had (Hamburg round trip in 2019) frightened us!!

3 minutes ago, MaraHornraven said:

Haha yes, priorities!!  Can I take my hairdryer, then can I sneak on board some booze to save us just a few pennies (although we are STILL umming and ahhing about the drinks packages 🤦‍♀️)  It's not like we're big drinkers or owt, but the last bar bill we had (Hamburg round trip in 2019) frightened us!!

No such word as sneak on Cunard, everything goes openly with hand luggage, separate 4 wheel rollers/s.  Although, it appears money on spirits is saving exercise.  It’s just Cunard do not stock the preferred marques for Rhum/Rum, Armagnac or Cognac for the room.  
Our view on Bar and Dining Room will be “It is what it is” and just go with the flow.  Life’s too short to count beans on a Voyage.

However, one would think seriously, if the preferred Rhum/Rum expressions were available in Bars at the current markup percentages.

2 hours ago, MaraHornraven said:

The hairdryer could potentially cause a serious fire. The booze is trivial - and you don't have to sneak you can take what you want on 

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Certainly wouldn't be the first to do so 

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

As an aside

@MaraHornraven - Just trying to assist with additional onboard spend.

Is one a Carnival Shareholder? -
As the current share price is an excellent return on investment for future OBC across the Group

Nice idea, but I don't have the current disposable income to think about buying shares!  Maybe one day.  Alas, the cruise was originally a TA bought pre-pandemic when we all had businesses doing well in the wedding industry (which pretty much disappeared overnight with the first wave of lockdowns 😪)

3 minutes ago, MaraHornraven said:

Per Stateroom

14 days or more US $250 US

7/13 days US $100 US

6 days or less US $ 50

Current share price is below $10 per share.  100 shares = $1000

Dividend @ 50 cents per share 4 times a year.

4 cruises = money back plus dividends