In Covid isolation on the Nieuw Amsterdam

birdie16

Now that the restrictions have been lifted to cruise, it doesn’t mean Covid is over.

We are on a 14 night cruise. Last week I sat next to a man in the theater that was coughing so bad he had to leave. This week I am sick, my husband was fine. I did the right thing, called medical from my cabin and they immediately came to our cabin to test both of us. My husband was positive and I am negative. They will not re test him to see if he had a false positive, they did test me a second time to see if I had a false negative.

We have been in isolation. Now that I tested negative, I have been released…although I am still very sick. My husband is still on lock down. How safe is that? I can kiss him good bye in our cabin and go out and dine, go to shows, even get off the ship…spreading his Covid germs as I go. Not that I want to do that.

My advice, wait a little longer to cruise. People are boarding sick and not telling medical because they don’t want to ruin their vacation. The ship does not seem to be handling Covid well if they think it’s ok to send me out to spread germs.

If you still decide to cruise, get insurance and make sure you have a balcony cabin, in case you are stuck in it for five days or more.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

You can cruise safely.  I’ve done it twice.  I’m on my third and hope to make it through the third.  I wear a mask all the time except when eating or drinking.  I don’t do shows, but I rarely did before.  I spend a ton of time outside.  I have a woman that’s in the cabanas that is barking (coughing) a lot. People just think Covid is over but it’s not.  That’s the problem.

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

I did the right thing, called medical from my cabin and they immediately came to our cabin to test both of us. My

Sorry to hear you are ill and glad u did the right thing and notified medical. I just returned from my fourth cruise this year and became sick with respiratory issues the day after returning. (2 covid tests came back negative) In May I had covid 2 days after returning from a cruise.  I am cruising again in January, but will have my mask on whenever I leave the cabin.  Hope the rest of your cruise goes better.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You can cruise safely.  I’ve done it twice.  I’m on my third and hope to make it through the third.  I wear a mask all the time except when eating or drinking.  I don’t do shows, but I rarely did before.  I spend a ton of time outside.  I have a woman that’s in the cabanas that is barking (coughing) a lot. People just think Covid is over but it’s not.  That’s the problem.

We also have KN 95 masks  .We do like the shows but try to star clear of people if possible  .no crowed  elevators for us  . got  to be very careful    but also this seasons bad flu  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We also have KN 95 masks  .We do like the shows but try to star clear of people if possible  .no crowed  elevators for us  . got  to be very careful    but also this seasons bad flu  

41 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

We did two earlier this year, but it was before they lifted all the Covid testing restrictions.

• Like 2

When DW tested positive in July and I negative, we both had to quarantine. Wonder why they changed policy. Their reasoning, understandably, was anyone close contact and in the room could be contagious even if testing negative. We both received FCC for daily cost while in quarantine. We wear masks onboard but believe it could have been on an excursion where we ate and drank where we may have picked up virus. I'm not sure requiring tests does anything since they won't retest if positive (but tested me 3 out of 5 days because I was negative) and so many cruisers reporting false positives, cancelled cruises and each ship in medical have variety of procedures/crew on how they test. 

• Like 2

Thank you for identifying feeling ill. Your assumption of the man coughing is a common misconception of COVID transmission. There has been a flu virus this season that is not COVID but has still made people sick..

You should have been given the option of your husband going into isolation alone and you being just testing negative two more times to be cleared. That way you would not have the fear of passing COVID germs. Remember you are only contagious Days 0-5. Your husband will need to test negative to be released from isolation.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you for identifying feeling ill. Your assumption of the man coughing is a common misconception of COVID transmission. There has been a flu virus this season that is not COVID but has still made people sick..

You should have been given the option of your husband going into isolation alone and you being just testing negative two more times to be cleared. That way you would not have the fear of passing COVID germs. Remember you are only contagious Days 0-5. Your husband will need to test negative to be released from isolation.

We were given the choice for him to go into isolation. I will not leave him!!! Who would do that? How can I go “enjoy” my cruise with him stuck in some isolation room. It’s bad enough together. No, that is NOT a choice. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, birdie16 said:

Now that the restrictions have been lifted to cruise, it doesn’t mean Covid is over.

We are on a 14 night cruise. Last week I sat next to a man in the theater that was coughing so bad he had to leave. This week I am sick, my husband was fine. I did the right thing, called medical from my cabin and they immediately came to our cabin to test both of us. My husband was positive and I am negative. They will not re test him to see if he had a false positive, they did test me a second time to see if I had a false negative.

We have been in isolation. Now that I tested negative, I have been released…although I am still very sick. My husband is still on lock down. How safe is that? I can kiss him good bye in our cabin and go out and dine, go to shows, even get off the ship…spreading his Covid germs as I go. Not that I want to do that.

My advice, wait a little longer to cruise. People are boarding sick and not telling medical because they don’t want to ruin their vacation. The ship does not seem to be handling Covid well if they think it’s ok to send me out to spread germs.

If you still decide to cruise, get insurance and make sure you have a balcony cabin, in case you are stuck in it for five days or more.

That's why a lot of Hal fans are waiting until this thing is over completely.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, birdie16 said:

We were given the choice for him to go into isolation. I will not leave him!!! Who would do that? How can I go “enjoy” my cruise with him stuck in some isolation room. It’s bad enough together. No, that is NOT a choice. 

Not trying to offend but just being logical with your concern of you passing germs to other passengers.

We are currently onboard a HAL ship right now for a 14-night cruise with 1,450 passengers and there have only been five COVID cases. The crew wore masks the first seven days and masks are now optional for them;  passengers with masks are probably less than 10%. The crew is constantly sanitizing the ship and we feel very safe. Post-cruise infections are more than likely the travel home, not from the cruise.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

6 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Not trying to offend but just being logical with your concern of you passing germs to other passengers.

We are currently onboard a HAL ship right now for a 14-night cruise with 1,450 passengers and there have only been five COVID cases. The crew wore masks the first seven days and masks are now optional for them;  passengers with masks are probably less than 10%. The crew is constantly sanitizing the ship and we feel very safe. Post-cruise infections are more than likely the travel home, not from the cruise.

I’m not offended, just frustrated. How do you know how many covid cases? I asked, they wouldn’t tell me. The medical person that tested me had a little post it note with her little test kit. There were at least 30 to 40 cabin numbers on that little post it, she crossed off our cabin number. I can only assume they were cabins she needed to test. She did tell me they are having a lot more cases now that the testing restrictions have been lifted.

Only a handful of passengers have been wearing masks, I have not seen any crew wearing them. BTW, we got sick the second week of our cruise. I’m pretty sure we got it here. 

• Like 1

Just now, birdie16 said:

I’m not offended, just frustrated. How do you know how many covid cases? I asked, they wouldn’t tell me. The medical person that tested me had a little post it note with her little test kit. There were at least 30 to 40 cabin numbers on that little post it, she crossed off our cabin number. I can only assume they were cabins she needed to test. She did tell me they are having a lot more cases now that the testing restrictions have been lifted.

Only a handful of passengers have been wearing masks, I have not seen any crew wearing them. BTW, we got sick the second week of our cruise. I’m pretty sure we got it here. 

My numbers come from the hotel manager's talk today. It actually was the topic of a passenger's question. We do have another non-COVID medical case onboard which requires us to arrive nine hours early at the pilot station and then to our berth for the patient. Other passengers won't disembark until the next morning. But no current COVID cases.

If it is the second week of your cruise, it probably originated from one of the port calls and then brought onboard.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Seems you have a first.  Have never heard the exact number of covid cases announced during any cruise.

Agree with flu it is impossible to tell on sight if a person has covid or flu.

Am glad you feel safe.  The problem on board is many who are covid positive have no symptoms and others to avoid quarantine do not self report.  The chance of contracting covid is simply a function of the number of interpersonal contacts.  On board you simply have a large number - far larger than we would have flying across the country.

I hope everyone will being self tests and those who are ill will report.  I suspect from the number  coughing and hacking while walking down the corridors on board my recent cruise; that will sadly not happen. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Seems you have a first.  Have never heard the exact number of covid cases announced during any cruise.

Am glad you feel safe.  The problem on board is many who are covid positive have no symptoms and others to avoid quarantine do not self report.  The chance of contracting covid is simply a function of the number of interpersonal contacts.  On board you simply have a large number - far larger than we would have flying across the country.

I hope everyone will being self tests and those who are ill will report.  I suspect from the number  coughing and hacking while walking down the corridors on board my recent cruise; that will sadly not happen. 

I  have never heard exact numbers either.  I would love to be on a ship of 1450.  We have almost double that 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

My numbers come from the hotel manager's talk today. It actually was the topic of a passenger's question. We do have another non-COVID medical case onboard which requires us to arrive nine hours early at the pilot station and then to our berth for the patient. Other passengers won't disembark until the next morning. But no current COVID cases.

If it is the second week of your cruise, it probably originated from one of the port calls and then brought onboard.

You are just as correct as I am at how we got Covid. We didn’t get off in Grand Cayman, sat alone at a bar by the pier for one drink and went back to the ship in Cozumel. Our other port was Jamaica and we stayed on the ship because we had some sad family news. Our only other port last week was Holland’s private island. I am just as convinced we got it on the ship, or the private island, as that’s where we were with the most contact besides the ship. We will never know. I posted, to caution people that Covid is still an issue, cruise at your own risk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Thank you. That was my point.

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

To get numbers, all you need to do is ask. And maybe ask again. Someone will tell you.

Contact while traveling to or from a cruise is far higher than being on the ship. Airport terminals, cabs, restaurants, etc. have many more germ possibilities. I remember twice pre-pandemic returning on overseas flights and two days later having sinus infections.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

To get numbers, all you need to do is ask. And maybe ask again. Someone will tell you.

Contact while traveling to or from a cruise is far higher than being on the ship. Airport terminals, cabs, restaurants, etc. have many more germ possibilities. I remember twice pre-pandemic returning on overseas flights and two days later having sinus infections.

I know all about that.😊I’m a retired flight attendant, we got sick more often than a kindergarten teacher wiping noses all day. I stand by my theory that it was on the ship. I’m beginning to think you work for the cruise line.🤣

Edited by birdie16

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

That's why a lot of Hal fans are waiting until this thing is over completely.

That’s never going to happen.  Covid is the new ‘flu’, with  new variations each year.  

We were on a cruise where everyone was supposed to be negative at boarding, the night we got home my husband was sick, he had Covid, I tested positive a few days later.  We’ve had all the shots.  My husband felt like he had a bad flu, mine felt like a head cold. 

We went all that time without getting it.  

That all said there are plenty of other vacation options of course!

1 minute ago, Cruise NH said:

That’s never going to happen.  Covid is the new ‘flu’, with  new variations each year.  

We were on a cruise where everyone was supposed to be negative at boarding, the night we got home my husband was sick, he had Covid, I tested positive a few days later.  We’ve had all the shots.  My husband felt like he had a bad flu, mine felt like a head cold. 

We went all that time without getting it.  

That all said there are plenty of other vacation options of course!

With the flu no one was being isolated, most people know to stay low for a coupe of days because you're not feeling great, that what I call back to normalcy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1