Which specialty restaurant?

jbrinkm

On Allure in April & we have a free specialty dining credit from our TA. Pescatarian family with teens (slightly picky in different ways - younger will eat seafood but not crazy about spices or vegetables and older doesn't like fish but likes all kinds of pasta and will eat more adventurously than the younger). We've never dined at any of the specialty restaurants and really know nothing about them.

Two questions - where should we go? (tagging @CatLadyFemme because I followed along on your Allure review last spring with the UDP!) We'd love sushi but I think I've read that the sushi place doesn't take the credit?

Second, how do we use the credit? Do we book ahead and then just give them our SeaPass card? Do we book once we're on board? How quickly do reservations fill up? Where do we go to make a reservation?

Thanks for any help. New territory here...

Izumi can't be used with the travel agent credit. Hooked is a casual seafood place but there's no non-seafood options for the one that doesn't like seafood, so I'd scratch that off the list too.

The Italian restaurant (Jamie's or Giovanni's) has salmon and prawns on the menu. That might be your best bet.

I boarded Symphony today and they had booths for making dining reservations all over the place on the promenade deck (the deck where you'll walk onto the ship). The earlier you board the better, because you'll have your choice of days/times.

If you're not picky about when you eat then you should be able to get a reservation at the Italian place, but if you want a specific time slot, get on the ship before noon.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Thanks 1

Didn't think Allure had Hooked.  If your credit shows up as a general OBC, as "dining credit" big box online stores sometimes do, there are no restrictions on using it anywhere. 

Given your requirements, I'd recommend Izumi Sushi or Giovanni's.  Izumi offers a couple of types of ramen and yaki udon in addition to sushi and other Japanese dishes.  Izumi Teppanyaki is the same as what you can find at any Teppan grill on land.  Not worth it,  IMO.  Giovanni's should have something for everyone from steak to seafood to pasta.  A visit to the restaurant with your pescatarian requirements ahead of time would be a good idea so you don't hit a snag when you arrive.

Check out the menus in the app for your cruise.  See if 150 Central Park would appeal.  It's very, very good.  Since you want to use a credit, be prepared to book as soon as you board by going to any of the specialty venues.  They can book for each other.  Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2022 at 10:57 PM, jbrinkm said:

On Allure in April & we have a free specialty dining credit from our TA. Pescatarian family with teens (slightly picky in different ways - younger will eat seafood but not crazy about spices or vegetables and older doesn't like fish but likes all kinds of pasta and will eat more adventurously than the younger). We've never dined at any of the specialty restaurants and really know nothing about them.

Two questions - where should we go? (tagging @CatLadyFemme because I followed along on your Allure review last spring with the UDP!) We'd love sushi but I think I've read that the sushi place doesn't take the credit?

Second, how do we use the credit? Do we book ahead and then just give them our SeaPass card? Do we book once we're on board? How quickly do reservations fill up? Where do we go to make a reservation?

Thanks for any help. New territory here...

Go to the app or your cruise planner and pull up the menus.  See what the majority wants.  Probably the most diplomatic way to do it.  Because I'm already seeing posts about Jamie's and Hooked which aren't on the Allure.  My favorite was 150.  Loved the Izumi Hibachi.  We were fans of Sabor and Samba.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

So I really love 150 Central Park, though that is a more modern type place. MxCatLadyFemme would say Giovanni’s: we went twice on our cruise because they loved the steak so much!

Wondering mostly about the vegetarian and fish options (veg/pescatarian family). Would you still recommend 150? Or Giovanni's? 

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Wondering mostly about the vegetarian and fish options (veg/pescatarian family). Would you still recommend 150? Or Giovanni's? 

Giovanni’s is our favorite restaurant on Allure. 150 CP would be our last choice for anything that came from the sea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

Think about getting a 3 night specialty package and trying 3 different restaurants you normally get a good discount with that, we really liked hibachi and Giovanni’s on allure last November. 

Thanks for suggestion but we're not going to spend extra money on specialty dining. We really like the main dining room and live in a city with great restaurants so prefer to use what already comes with our fare when we're on a cruise vacation. We are only doing this one because it was a free promotion. Maybe once kids are grown and we're able to do more cruising as a couple, we'll look forward to eating at the specialty restaurants more.

• Like 1

My favorites are Hibachi and Chops.  Both have and/or don't have what concerns you.  

BTW, there is nothing wrong with bring in a meal from another venue if someone in your party doesn't like what's on the menu.  We've done it many times.  My granddaughter doesn't like Hibachi at all, so we get her a hamburger and fries from Johnny's, bring it to the Hibachi, and she is a happy camper.

• Like 2

Allure doesn't have Hooked, so I'd probably recommend Giovanni's as they have shrimp, pasta and salmon,.   I would like to mention most dinners offered by a travel agent only include two dinners, not four.

If you are booked into two cabins, perhaps all will be comped a dinner.  Allure is my favorite ship and, selfishly, I wish it were still sailing from FL. Enjoy!

27 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

Allure doesn't have Hooked, so I'd probably recommend Giovanni's as they have shrimp, pasta and salmon,.   I would like to mention most dinners offered by a travel agent only include two dinners, not four.

If you are booked into two cabins, perhaps all will be comped a dinner.  Allure is my favorite ship and, selfishly, I wish it were still sailing from FL. Enjoy!

Yes, 2 balcony cabins. Each cabin gets a credit.