lanyards

xray0111

1 hour ago, Longford said:

As a recent first-time cruiser, I was bothered by the appearances of some others on the ship.  Disgusted, actually.  And I'd thought about posting some comments about it.  However, it's likely I would have offended some readers, and what would have been gained had I done that?  Nothing really, except me venting.  

Clearly, in this discussion, we witness a few examples of the increased level of intolerance, not much different than we see permeating society today.  It's just a lanyard, relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things. 🥰

I'm with you.  I find a lot of what people wear as disgusting.  But, I don't care what others wear.  It's not going to change the taste of my meal or the temperature of the pool water.  

The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the immoral clothing or lack thereof.  Some of the swimwear is far too revealing for my comfort level and pants below the butt with my grandkids present just ain't right.  I think Royal and Carnival should do a better job of policing some the the immoral and/or revealing clothing.  It's not just disgusting, it's immoral, period. And they are the ones that say they are family friendly!  Well, prove it, Royal and Carnival.  Make it so I don't have to turn around and leave, with the gkids because of the immorality of things. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the immoral clothing or lack thereof.  Some of the swimwear is far too revealing for my comfort level and pants below the butt with my grandkids present just ain't right.  I think Royal and Carnival should do a better job of policing some the the immoral and/or revealing clothing.  It's not just disgusting, it's immoral, period. And they are the ones that say they are family friendly!  Well, prove it, Royal and Carnival.  Make it so I don't have to turn around and leave, with the gkids because of the immorality of things. 

So you want YOUR idea of morals imposed on everybody else. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crazyank said:

So you want YOUR idea of morals imposed on everybody else. 

Yes, if they are way beyond reasonable.  I have certain societal standards for my underage kids and grandkids.  I don't think boobs hanging out of bathing suits are appropriate.  I don't think pubic hair growing out of bathing suit bottoms is appropriate.  I don't think pants should be hanging below one's butt is appropriate.  I don't think speedos that show every detail of a man's junk is appropriate.  Your milage may vary and I don't care.  This is my opinion and desires.  You can be triggered all you want, I DON'T CARE.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Yes, if they are way beyond reasonable.  I have certain societal standards for my underage kids and grandkids.  I don't think boobs hanging out of bathing suits are appropriate.  I don't think pubic hair growing out of bathing suit bottoms is appropriate.  I don't think pants should be hanging below one's butt is appropriate.  I don't think speedos that show every detail of a man's junk is appropriate.  Your milage may vary and I don't care.  This is my opinion and desires.  You can be triggered all you want, I DON'T CARE.  

Not sure who is triggered here… I understand your viewpoint but in the end that is the way things are. You either choose to live among it or not. I have yet to be on a cruise yet but am less worried about other peoples actions than what I teach my kids. I refuse to hide them from the world so I teach them to cope and understand the world so they can deal with things better when they do run across things that are out of the ordinary.

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

ROFL,  you're the one who is triggered, trying to force your idea of morals on everybody else.  The rest of the world doesn't care what you think is appropriate. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StickyWombat said:

I understand your viewpoint but in the end that is the way things are. You either choose to live among it or not. I have yet to be on a cruise yet but am less worried about other peoples actions than what I teach my kids. I refuse to hide them from the world so I teach them to cope and understand the world so they can deal with things better when they do run across things that are out of the ordinary.

This is probably the best answer I've seen.  Teaching kids to cope with reality is an excellent idea. Much better than trying to force others to conform to somebody else's idea of morality.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, ballarinamom said:

We use something like this on the back of our phones and they work great! Especially since we have it with for the app as well as our camera. image.thumb.png.5b58f51e8a7c9ed7669465b5169f3d13.pngse 

We have this as well.  I wore my lanyard at work with my ID badges.  Not doing it on vacation.  Uncomfortable IMO.

9 hours ago, StickyWombat said:

Not sure who is triggered here… I understand your viewpoint but in the end that is the way things are. You either choose to live among it or not. I have yet to be on a cruise yet but am less worried about other peoples actions than what I teach my kids. I refuse to hide them from the world so I teach them to cope and understand the world so they can deal with things better when they do run across things that are out of the ordinary.

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

ROFL,  you're the one who is triggered, trying to force your idea of morals on everybody else.  The rest of the world doesn't care what you think is appropriate. 

You know, because of the boards rules I can't respond the way I want to.  I'll just say that the two of you just don't get it.  It's about standards of conduct in public places and just look around at our inner cities and see how much we have deteriorated in the past few decades because of people that think that, "well that's just the way it is".  It doesn't have to be "the way it is" and I'm hoping for a big change in the very near future.  

BTW, my two kids were brought up in the military and Law Enforcement environment.  They were not shielded from too many things.  BUT, they have never heard the F bomb come out of my mouth, even as adult children today.  I don't purposefully take my kids/gkids to Fantasy Fest just so they can experience it for themselves, they can do that on their own when they get to be adults. Nor would I take them to San Francisco, LA, et al, today. They are now adults and they will not go to Key West to watch that fiasco or the cities mentioned.  I go and take my kids/gkids on a cruise fully expecting a "family friendly" experience any place on the ship except where it is pre-advertised as "Adult Only".  

But, you are right, this does trigger me, the lack of standards triggers me!

This is how I raise my kids and when my gkids are on vacation with us, I want to not have to explain to them that that guy with his junk or gal with her boobs hanging out is what we would consider as okay. I shouldn't have to do that in a "family friendly venue and I will do everything in my power, legally, to have Royal enforce societal norms/rules/standards.    

19 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Have you ever considered that your point of view might actually be teaching your grandkids to be uncomfortable and self conscious with their own bodies? Policing other peoples comfort level with nudity is really just teaching your grandkids that they should think of their bodies as embarrassing or gross. 

I think it's great that people feel so comfortable and confident with their bodies that they can wear things that others might feel self conscious in. And it could serve as a reminder to the rest of us that we don't need to be so worried about what other people think of how we look. Wear what you want with confidence and it will always look good. Stop teaching children that they should feel badly about their bodies. It's a very antiquated and oppressive way of thinking. 

59 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Have you ever considered that your point of view might actually be teaching your grandkids to be uncomfortable and self conscious with their own bodies? Policing other peoples comfort level with nudity is really just teaching your grandkids that they should think of their bodies as embarrassing or gross. 

I think it's great that people feel so comfortable and confident with their bodies that they can wear things that others might feel self conscious in. And it could serve as a reminder to the rest of us that we don't need to be so worried about what other people think of how we look. Wear what you want with confidence and it will always look good. Stop teaching children that they should feel badly about their bodies. It's a very antiquated and oppressive way of thinking. 

Nope, never thought that way.  And my kids and Gkids are very well centered and emotionally stable adults and teens.  Both my daughters are very successful in the medical and electronic fields.

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Have YOU ever considered that ,no, I am not teaching my children to be ashamed, far from that.   i teach them to respect themselves and their bodies.  It is their body and it does not need to out on display so that some pervert can ogle them and have who knows what thoughts about my children.   Why is is not normal to protect our kids by teaching our children self respect.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Nope, never thought that way.  And my kids and Gkids are very well centered and emotionally stable adults and teens.  Both my daughters are very successful in the medical and electronic fields.

But your granddaughters probably have special clothing they only wear when they visit you 😂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cruiser52forever said:

Have YOU ever considered that ,no, I am not teaching my children to be ashamed, far from that.   i teach them to respect themselves and their bodies.  It is their body and it does not need to out on display so that some pervert can ogle them and have who knows what thoughts about my children.   Why is is not normal to protect our kids by teaching our children self respect.. 

perhaps you should start by teaching the people who are doing the ogling not to ogle 

• Haha 1

I taught my daughters to be proud of what they are, who they are and their social conservatism.  

Look, I don't care what adults do in adult settings.  If a gal want so show me her stuff, I'll look and probably have a smile on my face.  I'm no prude when it comes to adult stuff.  But, when it involves my kids (which are all grown up and responsible, in good moral standings with the communities they live in) and gkids, I have not tolerance for immoral public displays.  There is a time and a place for everything, some of the behavior in many social settings, including a cruise ship pool area is not my cup of tea and not what I expect to find on a "family friendly" venue, period.  There are cruise lines that offer adult only bookings and I wouldn't mind booking one for myself and my wife.  If you want to be proud of your body and show off every inch of it, join a nudists colony or go to topless beaches or whatever, as long as it isn't accessible to kids.  If we have no standards, we will have chaos.  We need rules, policies, laws, and a code of morality standards.  Some will like them, some won't, it's a fact of like.  I will happen to err on the side of a less tolerant moral society.  Note:  I'm no bible thumper either.  I'm a believer, not a goer.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

perhaps you should start by teaching the people who are doing the ogling not to ogle 

That is not my job.  IT IS, however, MY job to teach MY children right and wrong and self worth.  Displaying their goodies for the whole world to view is a quick path to the wrong type of self esteem.  If my children think they need to show too much, then they will get the incorrect  interaction with others.  I Hate, hate when I see 14/15 yr girls dressed inappropriately.  What message are they sending to the boys doing the ogling.  Granted the boys are ultimately to blame, but Girls, why give them a reason to not respect you.

Edited by cruiser52forever
correct wording
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I will do everything in my power, legally, to have Royal enforce societal norms/rules/standards.    

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

We need rules, policies, laws, and a code of morality standards. 

As long as it's YOUR policies, laws, and moral standards.  Never mind what anybody else thinks, wants, or feels.   There's a bunch of folks in the middle East who would wholeheartedly agree with you.

Edited by crazyank
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, crazyank said:

As long as it's YOUR policies, laws, and moral standards.  Never mind what anybody else thinks, wants, or feels.   There's a bunch of folks in the middle East who would wholeheartedly agree with you.

If you say so.  BTW, my morality isn't too much to ask.  I just don't think showing off your body parts to young children is a moral thing to do.  I'm sorry if you do, I'll never agree or support that kind of behavior, NEVER!  Once again, I can't debate this with you the way I would like because of the boards rules, Imagine that, I abide by rules, I'm not perfect, in any way, and I have made a mistake or two in here.  But, I try my best to abide by rules, laws, morality standards and I'm sure that you do as well.

Do you support rules, laws, morality?  Where do you draw the line?   If someone goes beyond the line that you draw, do you turn the other cheek or do you do something, reasonably, to correct it?  Don't forget, anything that you draw the line with, you will upset someone else because they don't draw the line in the same place you did.  

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

If you want to be proud of your body and show off every inch of it, join a nudists colony or go to topless beaches or whatever, as long as it isn't accessible to kids.

All the topless beaches I've been to have had kids present.  The problem in the US is people look at a topless woman and think sex.  In many countries, it is perfectly acceptable.  

I do think Royal should enforce their rules, whatever they are. Shorts, thongs, speedos, whatever.  Just have rules and enforce them and everyone know what to expect.  Who gets to decide what is morally wrong dress?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

All the topless beaches I've been to have had kids present.  The problem in the US is people look at a topless woman and think sex.  In many countries, it is perfectly acceptable.  

I do think Royal should enforce their rules, whatever they are. Shorts, thongs, speedos, whatever.  Just have rules and enforce them and everyone know what to expect.  Who gets to decide what is morally wrong dress?  

Yep, I lived in Europe for 6 years.  Topless is nothing to them, on billboards and so on.  Men urinating in public as long as they're facing away from public.  Public swim pools with coed hours, and public saunas that are coed, families of all ages attend.  As I said, I lived in Europe for 6 years and they can have their way of doing things.  I'm very happy with ours.  I don't care if a public swimming pool has hours for adults, just leave the kid at home.  Sitting in a sauna nude with my family and who knows who else is not my idea of "family friendly.   The Europeans are welcome to it. 

That is THEIR standards, not ours here in the U.S.A., and I'm glad of it.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I would like examples of what dress code exactly on a cruise ship is triggering some of the responses.  I admit I haven't cruised as much as some but still some of these responses are over the top.  Shorts in the MDR I get may offend some and yoga pants.  The way some of these posts are sounding are getting to be bizarre.  I have 5 kids and I don't think I would shield them from yoga pants or shorts in the MDR.  It's not exactly traumatic ij my book.  I have never seen topless on the ship.  I've seen a few bellies that were offensive but that's been it.  Can those defending give an example of offensive to the point of shielding minors?

• Like 1

On 11/21/2022 at 10:13 AM, ballarinamom said:

We use something like this on the back of our phones and they work great! Especially since we have it with for the app as well as our camera. image.thumb.png.5b58f51e8a7c9ed7669465b5169f3d13.pngse the 

Does a charge card fit in it without it being a pain to get it out? I have a silicone stick on one from the Wonder Inaugural cruise. The charge cards stretches it to much and it’s starting to rip. Sea pass fits in fine.

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I would like examples of what dress code exactly on a cruise ship is triggering some of the responses.  I admit I haven't cruised as much as some but still some of these responses are over the top.  Shorts in the MDR I get may offend some and yoga pants.  The way some of these posts are sounding are getting to be bizarre.  I have 5 kids and I don't think I would shield them from yoga pants or shorts in the MDR.  It's not exactly traumatic ij my book.  I have never seen topless on the ship.  I've seen a few bellies that were offensive but that's been it.  Can those defending give an example of offensive to the point of shielding minors?

If that is directed towards me, I've given examples.  I will say that I woke up this morning and I watch several of the national news stations, the alphabets, if you will, and I see what I consider the societal norms for the public. None of the male hosts or their guests were wearing tight spandex that show every curve of their junk and the female hosts weren't wearing swimwear so small that you can see ever crack and cranny of their body and the tops weren't so tight that they're boobs were squished out to the top and sides and their you know what's exposed, at least partially, or their guests.  And to top it all off, none of them were twerking each other in a sexual manor with pure lust on their faces.  I didn't see anything that I didn't want my kids (when they were kids) or gkids to see.  You see, I haven't set the societal norms, we all have and they have been set since the establishment of this country.  My local radio and TV stations don't cuss (think George Carlin) on the air (those that are regulated by the FCC).  Again, it's not my moral standards, it's society's.  If people want to see nudity or suggestive sexual content and have no issues with their children being exposed to it, I suggest a vacation in Europe, et al.  

Also, there are moral societal standards right here in this forum.  Violate them and see what happens.  I'M NOT THE HYPORCRITE!  I just happen to agree with the standards that society has set, a long time ago. 

Edited by Ret MP