Starlink Equipped Ships

Epinz300

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Do these numbers mean anything.

It's better than the former O3B system, though than download speed (8Mbps) may be further limited in the future (on most ships it's limited to about 4 Mbps, even with Starlink). The end user may not notice any degraded performance in day-to-day use even with the lower limit. The biggest gain in performance is from that ping number (40ms) - it's 5 times better than O3B and more than 12 times better than legacy systems.

• Like 1

How about Harmony?  We just returned after a short cruise on Mariner of the Seas.  I have never had such poor internet access.  I was never able to keep a signal more than a couple of hours.  I finally gave up after many trips to the Voom person.  We are going on Harmony in January.

50 minutes ago, tampadee said:

How about Harmony?  We just returned after a short cruise on Mariner of the Seas.  I have never had such poor internet access.  I was never able to keep a signal more than a couple of hours.  I finally gave up after many trips to the Voom person.  We are going on Harmony in January.

We too had horrible internet on Mariner. So bad it couldn’t do a speed test, it would crap out without completing.  

In the past we had had great luck on Harmony and we sail on her December 31st.  I’m hoping my live review will go much easier in a few weeks, than my one on Mariner. 

3 hours ago, tampadee said:

It is still marketed as Voom but Harmony has Starlink now.  Speeds varied depending on location within the ship and your Wi-Fi signal strength. In cabin 14591 it was mediocre at around 4 Mb/sec with pings over 100 and substantial jitter. Elsewhere speeds over 30 Mb/sec were possible. 

I've been told, by the Internet, that if you bring Aluminum Foil (Reynolds is the best) and attach it to your phone, make it look like a bowtie, your reception and signal strength improves by 96.7%.

Yep, I read it on the Internet so it's got to be true.  Don't doubt me!

If you don't get this,, you are too young!

• Haha 3

On 12/10/2022 at 7:39 AM, orville99 said:

East of the Bahamas in the Atlantic Ocean 300 miles from PC.

E783BB51-7839-4A26-8D87-E89F38118B12.png

Do you have the free internet for D+ or did you buy a package? We’re on Jewel for the NYE cruise and plan to have us just use the free internet for this cruise. It’s only a 6 night trip and between us we get the 4 days of surf. We have TMobile and get data in Mexico, so we hoped that the surf with Starlink would work

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Do you have the free internet for D+ or did you buy a package? We’re on Jewel for the NYE cruise and plan to have us just use the free internet for this cruise. It’s only a 6 night trip and between us we get the 4 days of surf. We have TMobile and get data in Mexico, so we hoped that the surf with Starlink would work

We are pin, so internet is free for us. When we were D+, DW would get the free internet for two days and then I would get it for another two.

37 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We are pin, so internet is free for us. When we were D+, DW would get the free internet for two days and then I would get it for another two.

That’s what we do. But the D+ is surf only and the P is surf &stream. I’m hoping the surf is decent with starlink. I usually get the WiFi pkg but not on a short trip

That’s what we do. But the D+ is surf only and the P is surf &stream. I’m hoping the surf is decent with starlink. I usually get the WiFi pkg but not on a short trip

Question:

If you are D+, and get the Surf only included in your status but you purchase the Surf & Stream, do you only pay the difference between the two levels of service or pay full price for Surf & Stream?

Two things: D+ is s set $ amount that you can use towards any package, and on Jewel there no longer is any “surf” option available - just stream.

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Question:

If you are D+, and get the Surf only included in your status but you purchase the Surf & Stream, do you only pay the difference between the two levels of service or pay full price for Surf & Stream?

You have a $$ credit that you can use for S+S packages. You only pay for the balance due after the credit is applied.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Awesome, I’ll just use the 4 free days! Thanks!

BTW, the onboard price is $22.99/day, and I believe the D+ credit is either $49.99 or $59.99 (it’s been a while), so you should be able to get 3 days each for ~$15 out of pocket.

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Is that also true for the 24 hr package?

They were only offering one internet option on board. No more surf,  only surf+stream for $22.99/day. When you connected to the ship’s Wi-Fi, there were no “surf” options offered.

Sitting at the pier in Labadee waiting for all aboard in 20 minutes;

3AF6DD01-6500-493F-B946-8A8B01219855.png

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Yes, but there is only one level of service offered. No more high speed/low speed choice. You get the same speed as everyone else.

I was trying to figure out what they are basing the D and D+ discount on with no 24 hr Surf being available.  I recall the 24 hr Stream package was about $33?

On 12/10/2022 at 1:59 PM, A&L_Ont said:

We too had horrible internet on Mariner. So bad it couldn’t do a speed test, it would crap out without completing.  

In the past we had had great luck on Harmony and we sail on her December 31st.  I’m hoping my live review will go much easier in a few weeks, than my one on Mariner. 

On 12/10/2022 at 1:05 PM, tampadee said:

We were on Mariner last week and the internet was horrid despite it saying Starlink. And to add insult injury, the cruise director kept touting how great Starlink was. Maybe they only had it turned on for the crew?

C44A34B1-8F58-404C-A3F0-39FC4E09D7F3.png

E3EF3480-AFD9-4487-B8B9-BB8C7A7AEF5C.png

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I was trying to figure out what they are basing the D and D+ discount on with no 24 hr Surf being available.  I recall the 24 hr Stream package was about $33?

The last time we paid for stream on Harmony it was $24.99/day and the D+ coupon was for $59.99. If I remember correctly, you could use the coupon on whichever internet option you chose. You were not limited to just surf.