Starlink Equipped Ships

Epinz300

28 minutes ago, screenname2004 said:

Anyone knows where they put the Starlink antennas on the Symphony? Speed was not impressed yesterday on the way to St. Maarten. Now that we are docked, the speed seems to be better.

I think they are experimenting with antennae placement

28 minutes ago, screenname2004 said:

Speed was not impressed yesterday on the way to St. Maarten. Now that we are docked, the speed seems to be better.

Lots of things affect sat based internet - the position of the antennae is not likely to make any diff with the undisturbed view of the sky from a ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screenname2004 said:

I wonder if they use wired connection when they are in port to save some money.

I don't recall anything other than the same providers (Starlink or SES Networks) when doing a speed test in port.

6 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

Anyone knows where they put the Starlink antennas on the Symphony? Speed was not impressed yesterday on the way to St. Maarten. Now that we are docked, the speed seems to be better.

Agree was not as good as it had been.

much better today.

We have found the best location to be at the bar on the Suite Deck.

Ping rate below 75 for pretty much everything.

I have not looked for antenna’s or seen anything that stands out as Starlink HW

3 hours ago, jencruzin said:

Looks like Anthem being our next ship doesn't have Starlink. We've had unfortunate luck with Internet onboard our past two sailings

Unlikely Starlink will fix any issues you had, nor can you say definitely that she won't have it by your sailing.

54 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Just an fyi - we are onboard Grandeur and were told the Starlink was scheduled for this ship in Feb 2023. 

Question is, how is the wifi. If you cannot get connected, Starlink is useless.

5 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Question is, how is the wifi. If you cannot get connected, Starlink is useless.

We all understand that there are tons of related and tangential issues, however my comment was directed to the OP‘s  question as to a list of ships with Starlink. 

On 12/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, Biker19 said:

Unlikely Starlink will fix any issues you had, nor can you say definitely that she won't have it by your sailing.

I now see your point. It's the wifi inside the ship that hits us more. I forgot about that factor!

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 7:39 PM, easyqueasy said:

We had departed out to sea for 2 hours when I tested the speed. Unbelievable the amazing difference from same sailing in March.

B73CF1B8-EC71-464F-B728-E08CB1B157B4.png

I got speeds like that on Liberty two weekends ago. On Indy, it has not even been close. Heck, I think Indy was better before they changed it.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:10 PM, Biker19 said:

This is a crowdsourced table which has some updated info about the type of internet on each ship. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kZ1gCFtt1eiX1OWw9q-8tnEU5uQCWIjBwQt-w3t040s/edit

All ships have VOOM and Freedom has had Starlink for several weeks. 

There not enough of a diff between O3B and Starlink to make much diff on Liberty for most use cases, including remote work. 

You and I were talking prices for wifi. The dynamic prices. I'm on allure I assume is starlink. I see the discount I'm allowed has gone up since sept. I think I got 56.99 or 55.99 in sept discount for my free 2 days. I get on at midnight and click for the rest of the cruise and in the past had $2 left over when I choose surf and zoom. 

I had quit a bit more left over of my discount this time and a bigger amount allowed. About $6 left over when I got on thursday night for surf and zoom. I wait to get surf and zoom and get 3 nights this way. I got extra obc I might look at adding a extra day, but I wait until midnight to get the extra night. And then do surf and zoom until the end of the cruise. Nice they gave us extra allowance $$$. Almost $6 discount for wifi unused. Used to be only $2 unused

20221209_000256121.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I think I got 56.99 or 55.99 in sept discount for my free 2 days. I get on at midnight and click for the rest of the cruise and in the past had $2 left over when I choose surf and zoom. 

The D+ discount is usually $52, hence your $2 left last time. I assume the 24 hour Surf package went up to $28/day to come up with the current $56 discount.

15 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The D+ discount is usually $52, hence your $2 left last time. I assume the 24 hour Surf package went up to $28/day to come up with the current $56 discount.

It's nice to wait and get until they cut me off sunday and get the surf and zoom. I have a game I'm worried wouldnt load with just surf. So thursday at midnight when the daily prices change thru sunday morning works great for me. So 2 full days and sunday turn around morning. For my discount.

Next week I'll look and see what the daily surf price is. Cant see it now until this pkg expires. 

My wifi is working fine here in central park. Was on my way to solarium and got way laid to see 150 restaurant menu for next week. Wifi is very good on allure but I dont know how to measure.

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

In a browser go to a site like fast.com or install a speed measuring app. 

Do these numbers mean anything. Upload and download speed, or try another link.

It knows I'm on starlink lol. I'm in the solarium if that makes it better or worse. No idea, it gives me upload and download and ping numbers. Jitter

All I know is it seems to work well to me. 

20221210_105110109.jpeg

20221210_104911484.jpeg

20221210_104606284.jpeg

A ping, using a very non technical metaphor, is basically how long it takes someone to say "who's there?" when you say "knock knock"

40 is quite good for satellite internet.

Jitter is kind of like static or lag or hiccups when you're watching a movie or just waiting for a website to respond.  15 is plenty good there.

• Like 1