How is the Safety Drill Being Handled Now

mcrcruiser

• mcrcruiser changed the title to How is the Safety Drill Being Handled Now
1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

We once had to drag  the life vests to the drill & put them on .There must be a better way now . what is it ? 

TIA

On sailing da complete the drill on the App - we do it on the way to the port. Once on board report to your muster station to be checked in. Job finished.

4 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

We once had to drag  the life vests to the drill & put them on .There must be a better way now . what is it ? 

How long has it been since you had to bring the life vests to the safety drill?  I've been cruising since 2014 and I've never, ever had to do this.

The new, new way is to watch a safety video on your phone/tablet/cabin TV sometime before sailaway, then report to your assigned muster station.

The old, new way (returning to Disney cruises soon!) is to report to your assigned muster station (often by the lifeboats, sometimes inside - it depends on the design of the ship) where you'll be given a safety briefing after everyone shows up.

14 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

How long has it been since you had to bring the life vests to the safety drill?  I've been cruising since 2014 and I've never, ever had to do this.

Your question stirred my curiosity.  In my notes from a December 2017 Ruby Princess  cruise, I commented:   "2:30, we are on board.  There is no time to eat or drink before the muster. We do not have to bring our life vests!" 

On my Dec 2016 Princess cruise, we were required to bring the life vests.  So it was in 2017 that Princess stopped requiring life vests to be carried to the Safety at Sea lecture.  

In Nov 2019, Princess was still requiring us to meet at our muster station and be lectured.  But there was no physical check-in, attendance was taken through the Medallion.  My notes do not show when they switched to in-cabin or app viewing of the lecture.

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

In my notes from a December 2017 Ruby Princess  cruise, I commented:   "2:30, we are on board.  There is no time to eat or drink before the muster. We do not have to bring our life vests!" 

On my Dec 2016 Princess cruise, we were required to bring the life vests.  So it was in 2017 that Princess stopped requiring life vests to be carried to the Safety at Sea lecture.  

In Nov 2019, Princess was still requiring us to meet at our muster station and be lectured.  But there was no physical check-in, attendance was taken through the Medallion.  My notes do not show when they switched to in-cabin or app viewing of the lecture.

My first cruise on Princess wasn't until 2021, so that explains that.

No cruise line allowed video viewing of the safety briefing for its ordinary customers until 2020.