No More Mixed Shots!

id10t

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

It looks like you're about ten days out from your cruise. Congratulations! And honeymoon. Double congratulations! And newly weds. Triple congratulations! Ok...I think that's all the congratulations! 

I'm sorry you were misled by the liars of NCL's marketing department. You will need to read everything, very closely, and ask a lot of questions on your cruise to be sure you get what you want (and don't have to pay extra for it). The good news is, you'll still be able to drink a lot of included (not free) booze! 

Here's what you won't be able to drink:

Specialty coffees from Starbucks, milkshakes (never included which is stupid), high end liquor, boxes of water, bottles of fizzy waterm the ice bar, bottles of wine, mini bar, fresh squeezed juice (I've never even seen this), and energy drinks. There's probably a few more drinks I'm missing. 

BUT, there's a huge world out there of alcohol you can drink. And, if you do enjoy high end liquor (or Bailey's), you can still order it and only pay the price difference from the highest included priced drink of $15. So, for example, Bailey's is $16. You would receive $15 toward the cost, thus having to pay $1 for the Baileys and 20% gratuity, so your total charge is $1.20. Expensive and stupid? Yes. Ruining a honeymoon? I hope not! 

NCL is annoying and you have to really read the terms and conditions. I felt like you just before I booked my first NCL cruise. Then I joined Cruise Critic, dug into all the terms and conditions, read reviews, and watched too many YouTube videos. I still despise NCL's leadership, including Frankie boy (the CEO of NCLH) and their marketing department. Marketing is just a fancy term for professional liars. Don't worry, there will be some out there that will say you and I are the problem. We're not - just ignore those Cruise Criticers. I would highly suggest you read the terms and conditions to the Free at Sea package to see what you're really getting. Here they are: https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions.

Even though I despise the above parties, I still sail NCL and recommend NCL as a company. The onboard experience is amazing which is why I think you'll still have a great honeymoon. Just know you'll have to pay extra for some things, or not participate. It's good you know now, rather than finding out onboard. 

You might be able to make your life onboard better by ponying up a little more cash. I'm not saying you should, but want to know you have the option of purchasing the Free at Sea Plus upgrade. All the drinks I mentioned above that you are not able to get, you can get it (except milkshakes). Plus you'll get a $50 shore excursion credit for guest number two on your reservation, two additional specialty dining meals per person, and an unlimited Wi-Fi package (not streaming). It does cost $49 per person, per day so is definitely pricey, but maybe worth it if you'll use the benefits and know you can receive virtually all alcohol onboard (there's still some exclusions). The total for you two would be $686. 

Here are the amenities, also found at the terms and conditions link I placed above. Apparently you can pay $59 per person, per day to get the streaming package, if you'd prefer that. 

image.png.c20cde8f95f126e98a4b5094485584f6.png

If you have any other questions that might make your honeymoon a little bit better, please let us know!

Thank you very much for your kind reply!  I have ordered a case of water to be delivered to our stateroom.  My [almost] husband plans to drink only alcohol all day every day instead of his two energy drinks each morning.  Hopefully that will work out for him. LOL! We are bringing two bottles of wine with us and I plan to drink drip coffee all week instead of my iced coffee that I enjoy in hot and cold months alike.  The specialty restaurants still confuse me though we are booked in for several during the trip.  Hopefully we have already paid anything that we will need to for the specialty dining.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jennypoo803 said:

I have ordered a case of water to be delivered to our stateroom.  

Sorry if this was stated, but when is your trip?  I believe after the first of the year (? or some specific date), the drink packages are going to include a 6 pack of waters delivered to your room.  Also, if you are receiving non-refundable on board credit (OBC) and don't have plans for how you would spend it (e.g. no intentio to use spa services, or go-kart rides or other pay for activities), then buying the water onboard would help you to use that non-refundable OBC.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

My son is on the Breakaway right now and he told me the Vibe bartender confirmed that there is a mixed shot ban, fleet wide. I’m pissed. That’s half the fun of the Vibe experience.

This just feels like one more step to ratchet down just how much you can get with the "free" drink packages.   

Add me to the list of people who are pissed off by this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Sounds like it's time to talk to the Beverage Manager.  Doubtful it will change anything now, but, if enough people complain maybe gets it reversed.  I had such a conversation with him last week on Encore regarding lack of Captain Morgan.

The Asst Customer Service Mgr - Racquel - was at the Haven bar one day on Prima and I asked her if Crown was included in regular drink package.  She must have not known or was having a bad day as she frowned and told the bartender 'ohh, just give it to him'.  Learned it is $1.00+20% now, for our convenience, of course.

17 hours ago, missnd said:

So, no Captain Morgan and did I also hear they no longer have Crown Royal?  Maybe I'm just basic, but that cuts out like 80% of my drinks.  And right when they've finally switched to Coke!

They have crown but it is $1.00+20% now, at least for us.

28 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Sorry if this was stated, but when is your trip?  I believe after the first of the year (? or some specific date), the drink packages are going to include a 6 pack of waters delivered to your room.  Also, if you are receiving non-refundable on board credit (OBC) and don't have plans for how you would spend it (e.g. no intentio to use spa services, or go-kart rides or other pay for activities), then buying the water onboard would help you to use that non-refundable OBC.

Our cruise is December 3rd.  Everything that we had read led us to believe that the water would be included and we were even told at least once that it would be included.  I preordered because I didn't want to have to haul it in from the gift shop.  We have $75 credit.  We will use it for something fun.  Didn't know that go-kart rides are paid.  Ugh.  More nickel and diming! 

1 hour ago, jennypoo803 said:

The specialty restaurants still confuse me though we are booked in for several during the trip.  Hopefully we have already paid anything that we will need to for the specialty dining.  

Using Free at Sea I assume? Depending on your room, you'll receive one or two free specialty meals per person. 

image.png.18ef6793016971f89ed9b2d99672f2f3.png

Hopefully you have a balcony, or above, since you're saying meals. 

You're all set for those if you are! When you review the terms and conditions I linked earlier, it's important to note that you can order the following:

As many appetizers/salads as you want

One entree

As many side dishes as you'd like

As many desserts as you'd like

Food Republic and Pinchos do have different rules (four items per person, I believe). 

And of course, Moderno is all you can eat of anything. Teppanyaki is similar to the above, even though it's a cover charge meal, as is Moderno. 

The servers may tell you that you can only order one appetizer, one (or two) side dishes, and one dessert. Ignore them and order what you want. If you want more than one main course (entree), then you'll have to pay extra. But, honestly, my husband and I are fatty fat hippos and can only get through maybe one extra appetizer. 

You're going to have so much fun!!! 

• Like 2

Just now, gmbhardy said:

I hate when threads get hijacked. What does all this have to do with a ban on serving mixed shots? 

Someone showed me kindness as a new cruiser who is disappointed with the information that has been communicated from the supposed professionals of the cruise line.  I responded to the comment.  I thought cruise people were supposed to be friendly...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jennypoo803 said:

Someone showed me kindness as a new cruiser who is disappointed with the information that has been communicated from the supposed professionals of the cruise line.  I responded to the comment.  I thought cruise people were supposed to be friendly...

They are.  Most of the time. 

4 hours ago, roger001 said:

MUD SLIDES...mud slides...can you still get those on the regular drink package, or are they an additional charge? 

The mudslide is still an under $15 drink....but per the "no mixed shot" edict, the capable bartender is not allowed to divide said mudslide into smaller, equal parts shots.  Total BS.

Take away Cagney's, get rid of the crepe station, get rid of the chocolate-covered strawberries, but don't mess with the @(*&#(& bar please.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PATRLR said:

IMO, rum is vile.  There is a reason spices were added.  

The Bacardi spiced rum is the Bud Light of spiced rums.  The Kraken they serve is much better, but, has a certain taste that makes me prefer Captain Morgan. 

rum.....good rum is amazing and my favorite spirit. i was 15 when i discovered rum....both gold and white and that i liked it neat; however, i have long long since outgrown Bacardi.

this is my favorite 

ron zacapa is nice too 

jjjjj.webp

8 hours ago, tsahall01 said:

could spell trouble real fast.  But again, you can get real drunk onsingle liquor shots just as well, so really the point is moot.

•  

exactly! I’m trying really hard to understand their reasoning for this decision. It’s usually motivated by $$$ but I can’t see how that plays out when almost everyone has the UBP.  Thanks. 

Edited by MissRabbit
Quote messed up

35 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

rum.....good rum is amazing and my favorite spirit. i was 15 when i discovered rum....both gold and white and that i liked it neat; however, i have long long since outgrown Bacardi.

this is my favorite 

ron zacapa is nice too 

jjjjj.webp

I fell in love with Rum in Jamaica. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

So, if I understand what was stated:

Any cocktail that has more than 1 shot (ounce) of alcohol is not honored with the Premium beverage package.

Hmmm...  smells like $$$ reduction.

Good think I like to order a shot of Fireball with a coke back.

If you're correct, my mouth is going to slam so hard into the floor I'll be known as gummy bear for the rest of my life. 

I think this is only referencing shots. Pretty sure drinks that have multiple shots will still be made. I can't imagine being told no if I order a Long Island - what's that? About five different liquors?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSUjohn said:

this is my favorite 

ron zacapa is nice too 

jjjjj.webp

So this reminds me of tequila which IMO is best used to power your lawn mower.  Or strip paint.  Or, at least I used to think that was the case until I got to talking to a Mexican shop owner who proceeded to let me sample the "good" tequila.  Much, much different than the mass market tequila and actually enjoyable, but any of those good bottles were $100 or more (one was like $300+ IIRC).  I don't like it enough to spend that kind of money.

The good news about the bottle you posted above is it looks like it's only about $50.  Maybe, just maybe I'll try to have a bit more open mind about it.  

• Like 2

If the changes about shots and mixed drinks is verifiable by current cruisers — and it appears it is by some accounts — this is probably a worthwhile daily post on CC. This new policy is EASILY reversed by NCL. If the majority is complaining about the new policy and discouraging the purchase of drink packages, it does put pressure on NCL.