Cruising with dialysis solution

theump

Anyone who has cruise out of Galveston and taken their own solution and supplies with them, Do you take it in the boxes or do you pack it in a suit case.  If in a suit case wonder if it will end up in the naughty room.  This is first cruise needing it, have it ordered but thought about bring it also just in case.

The Ump

John

Supplies are ordered and supposed to be there. But being first time doing it kind of scary if we board ship and it not there then what.  As far as machine yes we will be carrying that with us but not sure I want to try and carry that and 4 or 5 more boxes as carry ons.

John

By doing a search in this forum, I found you asked the nearly identical question back on April 15, with some answers.  Go to the upper right of the threads page and type in dialysis, and leave it at the ‘this forum’ setting and you will find your other thread, and a few others.  If you choose the search criteria to everywhere, you will find more interesting stuff.  EM

Just returned from 14 day Cruise out of NYC. We were able to bring the full cartons directly from home.  However, when we’ve had to fly to the port, we bring a couple of bags in our rollaboard and the rest is delivered directly to the ship in original cartons. 
TSA usually does look at the open bags in the carry-ons so please be sure to bring a letter from your dialysis center stating that you’re a dialysis patient. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2022 at 4:48 PM, theump said:

Anyone who has cruise out of Galveston and taken their own solution and supplies with them, Do you take it in the boxes or do you pack it in a suit case.  If in a suit case wonder if it will end up in the naughty room.  This is first cruise needing it, have it ordered but thought about bring it also just in case.

The Ump

John

When my dad cruised doing dialysis we would put luggage tags and had them delivered to the room with no issues. Also, we have packed the in suitcases and carried them onto the ship depending on length of cruise. We didn't have the best of luck in having the solutions delivered to the ship from the medical company. 

• 6 months later...

We will be cruising in the Mediterranean, from Rome to Barcelona, has anyone got Baxter to deliver to Rome, Italy? This will be our first time and we are nervous about having the solutions deliver to the dock. I think having the delivery to a hotel could be better but then I will have to move 10 to 12 boxes with 2- 5 liters bags. Please provide tips or experiences.  Thank you

20 hours ago, Europe Cruising said:

We will be cruising in the Mediterranean, from Rome to Barcelona, has anyone got Baxter to deliver to Rome, Italy? This will be our first time and we are nervous about having the solutions deliver to the dock. I think having the delivery to a hotel could be better but then I will have to move 10 to 12 boxes with 2- 5 liters bags. Please provide tips or experiences.  Thank you

First of all, what cruise line will you be on?   You need to contact that line's Access Department as there may be certain guidelines they follow / require.   I'm not so sure Baxter delivers to Rome.  You might consult with your medical provider and ask if they have any recommendations for Rome.  

Also, do a search on this Board for dialysis and you will find other conversations about dialysis on a  ship.  

If you choose to bring your supplies with you, pursuant to the Air Carrier Access Act of 1990, your airline should allow your supplies to fly at no charge.  

On 7/21/2023 at 12:36 PM, kokopelli-az said:

First of all, what cruise line will you be on?   You need to contact that line's Access Department as there may be certain guidelines they follow / require.   I'm not so sure Baxter delivers to Rome.  You might consult with your medical provider and ask if they have any recommendations for Rome.  

Also, do a search on this Board for dialysis and you will find other conversations about dialysis on a  ship.  

If you choose to bring your supplies with you, pursuant to the Air Carrier Access Act of 1990, your airline should allow your supplies to fly at no charge.  

Good information, thank you, we are traveling thru Princess cruises, I printed their guide lines but they are kind of broad, one thing they ask is for us to supply a letter from the nephrologist allowing my wife to travel and showing proof that she has been ok for the  last 12 months before the starting of the cruise,  talked to Baxter and they told me that in fact they do deliver to Rome, thanks again.  Has any one embark on Rome I am curious about the process, I asked a princess rep about Baxter shipping directly to the cruise line and he couldn't give any information, bit disappointed.

First of all, cruises from Rome do not actually dock in Rome.  They dock in Civitavecchia, which is about a 45 minute ride away from Rome.  When we were there, we used RomeCabs.com to take us everywhere, including from the airport to our hotel, from the hotel to the cruise port and from the cruise port back to the airport.   Since our flight arrived in Rome earlier in the day and we didn't think our room would be ready, RomeCabs took us on a sight seeing tour of Rome for a couple of hours before we went to our hotel.   We had all our reservations made and confirmed with RomeCabs ahead of time.   RomeCabs is highly recommended on many boards.   

For transportation to the port, airport, etc you might look at the Italy ports of call board and see what others are doing for transportation to/from Rome.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

Verify that Baxter can deliver your supplies to the Civitavecchia cruise port.  You might also ask the Princess Access Office what the process is when a vendor delivers medical supplies to be taken to a passenger stateroom on the ship.  When you talked to Princess about delivering supplies to the ship, did you talk to a representative from their Access Office?    Once you get to your room, confirm all your supplies have been delivered and all equipment is operational.  

If you are staying overnight in Rome, you could also have your supplies delivered to your hotel and take them to the ship yourself.   Here is an interesting article from a cruiser about cruising with dialysis:

https://homedialysis.org/news-and-research/blog/196-cruising-with-home-dialysis-tips-from-a-platinum-cruiser

PS:   Make sure Princess, via their Access Office, knows you are bringing medical supplies or having them delivered.  

kokopelli-az, thank you so much for the information, I have not reach out to the access office yet, but I will, Baxter does delivers to Rome that I checked already, one thing I didn't want to do is to move all the boxes myself if they could be delivered to the dock. thanks for the information about the cabs, we are going to need it.