Multiple credit card charges for one purchase

I took advantage of the Black Friday sale to buy a drink package, and was charged three times for it. I've seen other people on a different social media site saying the same thing happened to them.

Has anyone learned how RC is going to handle this? Should I be contacting my credit card company, or do we think this will be resolved automatically?

4 minutes ago, jennyfranco said:

I took advantage of the Black Friday sale to buy a drink package, and was charged three times for it. I've seen other people on a different social media site saying the same thing happened to them.

Has anyone learned how RC is going to handle this? Should I be contacting my credit card company, or do we think this will be resolved automatically?

Personally, I'd always dispute the charges with the credit card company, first.  Then I'd call Royal and let them know about the repeated chargers.  They'll have plenty of time to correct it before the dispute hits their desk.  If they give you credit back right away, call the credit card company and let them know that all is well and drop the disputed charges.   Easy Peasy! 🙄

This is an example of why I tell my adult kids and Gkids to always use a credit card and not a debit card, federal protections.  

Having said all that.  I'm sure Royal will correct the issue for you, immediately.  Although it takes, usually, a few days to a week or so for a credit to show up in your C.C. account.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Be sure that it is not saying pending.  Usually it "comes off"  itself.  If it does not say pending on your credit card charges then you have an issue and I would call your card issuer.

I was hoping that was the case. But they moved from pending to full transactions yesterday. I'm glad it was an otherwise empty credit card. I don't mind carrying a $2000 balance for a few days, but I want it to be resolved before the payment date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jennyfranco said:

I was hoping that was the case. But they moved from pending to full transactions yesterday. I'm glad it was an otherwise empty credit card. I don't mind carrying a $2000 balance for a few days, but I want it to be resolved before the payment date.

If you do the dispute, you don't have to worry about payment until it is resolved.  If you win, the debt is removed, if you lose, you owe the principle and interest.  

I've never lost a legitimate (not that I've ever filed a dispute that was not legitimate) dispute.  

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 11:41 AM, steveru621 said:

Your credit card bank won't file a dispute on a pending charge.

Before you dispute a charge you must attempt to contact the merchant.

Not exactly but you cant dispute until the current billing cycle has closed. Ie. If your billing closes the 10th of each month, then after that you can dispute. Then it's actually charged. 

I worked disputes for amex... 

I would take screen shots and contact, mbayley@rccl.com to get it fixed. They are quick to respond. 

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Not exactly but you cant dispute until the current billing cycle has closed. Ie. If your billing closes the 10th of each month, then after that you can dispute. Then it's actually charged. 

I would take screen shots and contact, mbayley@rccl.com to get it fixed. They are quick to respond. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Is that an Amex policy.  I just disputed a charge with my BP Visa the day it showed up as not PENDING and the close date didn't hit yet.  FNBO had no problem taking the dispute right away.  

BTW, be forewarned, if you use the BP App (BPme), when you finish pumping your gas and the you immediately get the receipt in email, it doesn't mean that the pump was properly cleared.  The guy behind me got a free tank of gas.  I won my dispute, BTW.

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

that is not my experience. i recently booked a flight and that too got double charged on my credit card. once the duplicate charge posted and cleared, i file a dispute right away with my credit card provider

i did contact the airline and told them about the duplicate charge so they have a heads up and told me to dispute it

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 6:08 PM, firefly333 said:

Visa and MC are different.  BTW I've disputed charges on my AMEX and never had to wait.

• 3 weeks later...

After 4 weeks and 7 emails I have a refund. I actually received too little one day so emailed again and by the time I had a reply more money had gone in...more than I'm due back. Weirdly they stated exactly how much they've refunded which matches what I've received but doesn't match with any amount I paid or the screenshot of the erroneous payments. Maybe its for the amount of time wasted ...

On 11/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, steveru621 said:

Your credit card bank won't file a dispute on a pending charge.

Before you dispute a charge you must attempt to contact the merchant.

Correct:  the first obligation a credit card hold has is to attempt to resolve the issue with the merchant directly before filing a dispute.

However, one of those exceptions is "Duplicate Charge."  If there are two identical amounts from the same merchant on the same date, your credit card issuer can usually process that dispute immediately.

The danger in NOT calling RCI --so they can add notes to your booking about the duplicates-- is that when they receive the first chargeback, they could simply cancel out your payment, thereby canceling your purchase which sounds like it was at a better sale price.

On 11/27/2022 at 5:19 PM, Ret MP said:

Is that an Amex policy.  I just disputed a charge with my BP Visa the day it showed up as not PENDING and the close date didn't hit yet.  FNBO had no problem taking the dispute right away.  

BTW, be forewarned, if you use the BP App (BPme), when you finish pumping your gas and the you immediately get the receipt in email, it doesn't mean that the pump was properly cleared.  The guy behind me got a free tank of gas.  I won my dispute, BTW.

I just noticed an error.  "the day it showed up as NOT pending".  Don't know why I put the "NOT" in there.  It was pending when FNBO took my dispute.  Now, whether they acted on it right away, I don't know.  They could have waited for it to fully mature and then started the process.  

Edited by Ret MP

On 11/22/2022 at 10:33 AM, jennyfranco said:

Just curious!  Has this been resolved to your satisfaction?

On 12/16/2022 at 5:26 PM, Ret MP said:

Just curious!  Has this been resolved to your satisfaction?

Yes, I found a tab on my disputes page to report multiple charges for the same transaction. The card immediately took those charges off of my statement. A few weeks later, I got a letter saying that Royal Caribbean had also found the mistake and reversed the charges. It all worked out in the end.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2022 at 11:18 AM, jennyfranco said:

Yes, I found a tab on my disputes page to report multiple charges for the same transaction. The card immediately took those charges off of my statement. A few weeks later, I got a letter saying that Royal Caribbean had also found the mistake and reversed the charges. It all worked out in the end.

Whoops - spoke too soon! My credit card company gave me a permanent credit for one of the charges. As for the second charge, Royal refunded only half of it and my credit card company closed the dispute. So now I have applied to reopen that dispute, to get the other half back. I have a valid charge for $650, plus an additional charge of $325. My fear is that Royal will somehow cancel the valid one, so I will no longer have the drink package at the Black Friday price of $54.99.