Emerald Princess - boarding delayed - coast guard inspection?

chalex

20 minutes ago, chalex said:

We have been waiting for 2 hours to board. and they cannot give us an update as to when boarding will start. It is now 1pm.

In all the cruises I have taken I have never had this happen before? Is this normal?

If it is a USCG inspection, that is running late, there is really no telling how long it can be.  If at any time during the crew fire and boat drill, if the inspectors are not satisfied with the response, actions, training, or enthusiasm of the crew to the drill, they can stop the drill, and restart it from the beginning again, or even require a different scenario, if they feel this is a "canned" scenario the crew trains specifically for use during inspections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Emerald, coming back from South America. The ship was delayed for disembarkation, for Customs Inspection, when we arrived in Los Angeles. Better to be stuck waiting to board, than getting off the ship. I was not flying home until the next day, but there were some people that were going to miss their flights. The Emerald had been out of the country, for a while, cruising South America

Edited by Greg4502

o p, I've read your tea leaves. You do not appear to a patient person.  Be thankful when you finally board  and order a double. 👍

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, kiwimum said:

Quite common for delayed boarding after arrival from a Transatlantic.   According to a fellow passenger in your roll call, Princess sent an email informing of delayed boarding.

Yes, when a ship clears in the US for the first time, after an absence, every crew member has to have a face to face meeting with CBP, as well as the USCG inspection, and if they are really unlucky, there will be a USPH inspection as well.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I've had it happen at FLL. Only about an hour delay embarking tho as the terminal slowly filled up.

If the USCG pops a random inspection, you cannot blame the cruise line for the issue.

Unlike the USPH, which does not announce it's inspections, the USCG inspections are well known in advance.  As noted above, the ships know that when arriving at the first US port, after an absence, that they will have a USCG inspection.

We just got off the Emerald. The crew told us they were preparing for CDC inspections, crew immigration/customs and USCG inspections. USCG we’re on board when we disembarked at 9:30 and we looking at everything! This was the Emerald’s first visit back to the US after being in Europe all summer.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

Thanks for the insights. Everyone seemed to handle the delay well. We got onboard just before 2pm and then we were delayed setting sail until 6pm as the supplies were still being loaded. 

Love the Emerald. Fist time on her but not the last. Crew is wonderful, food is delicious and the entertainment last night was good. 

We are sailing with 1500 passengers and only 22 of those are children. It’s like being on a private yacht. I wish all cruises were  like this!😀

Edited by chalex
  • Like 4