Can I connect a DVD player to the TV in Emerald Princess balcony cabin

CHK

29 minutes ago, CHK said:

In the past I've brought a small portable DVD player and could connect it to the TV in our cabin. Is that still possible?

It's possible with a little fenagling. 

I'm assuming you have an HDMI output on the DVD player.

As I recall the TV's on the Emerald are in the corner which makes it easy to reach the TV input and all you have to contend with is switching the TV's input so it'll see the DVD player's output.

Check out this post to see how it's done.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently on the Enchanted,  they seemed to have disconnected the ability to switch to any other than their one designated input. Unless I have  a bad HDMI cable there's no reaction from any other input for my Roku device. 

btw- Their movie selections offered on the TV are very old. Internet speed is also very slow. Around 120 kbs at most.

Edited by MissP22

49 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Currently on the Enchanted,  they seemed to have disconnected the ability to switch to any other than their one designated input. Unless I have  a bad HDMI cable there's no reaction from any other input for my Roku device. 

btw- Their movie selections offered on the TV are very old. Internet speed is also very slow. Around 120 kbs at most.

The LG Tvs we had on the Island Princess you had to use the button on the bottom of the tv to select the Input. TV had to be on a live channel, bridge channel is what I used.

On 11/27/2022 at 11:06 AM, MissP22 said:

It's possible with a little fenagling. 

I'm assuming you have an HDMI output on the DVD player.

As I recall the TV's on the Emerald are in the corner which makes it easy to reach the TV input and all you have to contend with is switching the TV's input so it'll see the DVD player's output.

Check out this post to see how it's done.

Actually, the TV's on the Emerald are on the wall across from the bed. They "updated" the cabins by removing the older tv sets from the corner shelf.We were in a corner aft cabin in May.

11 hours ago, GJCruiser said:

The LG Tvs we had on the Island Princess you had to use the button on the bottom of the tv to select the Input. TV had to be on a live channel, bridge channel is what I used.

I'm very familiar with using that toggle button to switch inputs but the HDMI input has (since Feb/Mar) been disconnected. 

Possibly for our cabins on deck 11??

LG TV.

After talking to a few of the crew members I quickly learned what I've been doing wrong.🥴 I brought the wrong cable to connect my Roku to the TV. It should have been a USB, not a HDMI cable. I disconnected it from my TV at home and didn't think about switching cables.

Anyway, connecting a hard drive directly to the LG TV works just fine once the drive loads all the files and you switch ine input. 

btw- the movies this cruise have all been replaced with old Christmas movies and kid movies. NOTHING recent.

Even Top Gun was only shown on MUTS and not in the cabin. 

14 hours ago, MissP22 said:

After talking to a few of the crew members I quickly learned what I've been doing wrong.🥴 I brought the wrong cable to connect my Roku to the TV. It should have been a USB, not a HDMI cable. I disconnected it from my TV at home and didn't think about switching cables.

Anyway, connecting a hard drive directly to the LG TV works just fine once the drive loads all the files and you switch ine input. 

btw- the movies this cruise have all been replaced with old Christmas movies and kid movies. NOTHING recent.

Even Top Gun was only shown on MUTS and not in the cabin. 

What ship are you one?  Are you saying TV does not have additional HDMI inputs?

Isn’t the Roku USB cable for the power?  (I sometimes find you have to use the AC power on some TVs). What cable do you believe you are missing?  It would connect from what into where?

Thanks.

I am cruising next month and I want to make sure I have everything I need.  I have a travel router in case it is needed.

On 12/20/2022 at 4:17 PM, MissP22 said:

I’m a little confused (sometimes normal for me)….

Regardless if you can hook your Roku streaming device into the TV or not, what good is it going to do for your reported internet speed of 120Kbs? Roku does not have any recording ability that I know of and needs a min of 3Mbs to run (per their specs).

Apologize  if I’m not understanding what your trying to do streaming with that slow of internet. 

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

What ship are you one?  Are you saying TV does not have additional HDMI inputs?

Isn’t the Roku USB cable for the power?  (I sometimes find you have to use the AC power on some TVs). What cable do you believe you are missing?  It would connect from what into where?

Thanks.

I am cruising next month and I want to make sure I have everything I need.  I have a travel router in case it is needed.

Enchanted. 

Yes, the LG TV's do have an HDMI input but I couldn't get the TV to accept  the HDMI signal from my Roku unit which has both HDMI and USB outputs.

I power the Roku from a separate AC connection either from the outlet behind the TV or an extension cord to the desk.

Had I brought my USB cable with me it would have worked fine but I didn't have my USB to USB cable with me.

Just feeding the USB input of the TV with a 2tb  hard drive is working OK but if I had the Roku working I would have been able to view my photos and videos from my cell phone. At least we have a selection of more current movies to watch.

6 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I’m a little confused (sometimes normal for me)….

Regardless if you can hook your Roku streaming device into the TV or not, what good is it going to do for your reported internet speed of 120Kbs? Roku does not have any recording ability that I know of and needs a min of 3Mbs to run (per their specs).

Apologize  if I’m not understanding what your trying to do streaming with that slow of internet. 

I use my Roku mostly for watching my own video files from a seperate hard drive or thumb drive.

Sometimes my photos and my phone videos.

I don't stream content since their internet speed is terrible most of the day.

At 4 AM it might approach 2 Mbs but as soon as everyone is awake it drops to 50 Kbs.

I'm downloading a 1 hour program from my home DVR right now and it's taken almost 2 hours and still not done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Enchanted. 

Yes, the LG TV's do have an HDMI input but I couldn't get the TV to accept  the HDMI signal from my Roku unit which has both HDMI and USB outputs.

I power the Roku from a separate AC connection either from the outlet behind the TV or an extension cord to the desk.

Had I brought my USB cable with me it would have worked fine but I didn't have my USB to USB cable with me.

Just feeding the USB input of the TV with a 2tb  hard drive is working OK but if I had the Roku working I would have been able to view my photos and videos from my cell phone. At least we have a selection of more current movies to watch.

Thank you for the detailed explanation and for answering my questions.