Suit jacket required?

LoriAB

42 cruises since the Mardi Gras in 76 and a jacket has never been required. There were times it was suggested and in the majority, but those days have been gone for two decades.
 Summer sailings finds me in a polo and khakis on Cruise Elegant and I switch to a long sleeve shirt and khakis for winter sailings.

No suit jacket required. Back in the day, people dressed up more. My husband wore a suit on our first cruise and I wore a sparkly cocktail dress. Now, I wear a dress of some kind but maybe not as formal or sparkly. Hubby wears black dress pants and a nice shirt on elegant night and then khaki pants or shorts the others. I have seen all ranges of attire from basketball shorts to suit pants. There really is no dress code even though they say there is.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I care if you are going to wear that in the main dining room on Elegant night, and I know I am not alone.

I think that is the posters point, he/she doesn't care if you care (or anyone for that matter). That also begs the question of how much do you care? Would you refuse to dine in the dining room in the presence of shorts and a t-shirt? Would you get up and leave? Would you focus on that all night and let it ruin your evening? Would it make your food not taste as good? I mean, I get having a preference but actually caring? Me personally, I couldn't care less, what someone else wears doesn't influence my experience in the least, sometimes it even creates a funny moment of laughter and entertainment if audacious enough. 😁   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

good thing I'm not worried about every girl! Just one I need to impress!😛

While this is the PC answer 🥰 It's also nice to know you "still got it" sometimes, no matter what any fella says about contentment. A little attention boosts the ego. 😉

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I think that is the posters point, he/she doesn't care if you care (or anyone for that matter). That also begs the question of how much do you care? Would you refuse to dine in the dining room in the presence of shorts and a t-shirt? Would you get up and leave? Would you focus on that all night and let it ruin your evening? Would it make your food not taste as good? I mean, I get having a preference but actually caring? Me personally, I couldn't care less, what someone else wears doesn't influence my experience in the least, sometimes it even creates a funny moment of laughter and entertainment if audacious enough. 😁   

I am not going to let it ruin my evening, given a choice, I would prefer that people follow the rules.  Same with chair hogging and smoking.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:28 AM, groundloop said:

The number of men wearing suits on "elegant" night has been steadily decreasing.  Once upon a time I'd see quite a few tuxedos and suits, not so much any more.  

Just wear relatively nice clothes and you're good to go.  

Carnival used to have a "formalities shop" that served as the pick-up spot for rented tuxes. I rented one once or twice 20 years ago, ended up buying one that I wore on a few cruises. For the last decade it just hangs in my closet!

Even on Celebrity a couple of weeks ago, I could count on 1 hand the number of tuxes I saw. Dress codes are easing up across the board... and I'm much more comfortable as a result!

Tom

5 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Carnival used to have a "formalities shop" that served as the pick-up spot for rented tuxes. I rented one once or twice 20 years ago, ended up buying one that I wore on a few cruises. For the last decade it just hangs in my closet!

Even on Celebrity a couple of weeks ago, I could count on 1 hand the number of tuxes I saw. Dress codes are easing up across the board... and I'm much more comfortable as a result!

Tom

I personally would be 100% OK if Carnival goes like Disney and formally (pardon the pun) changes cruise elegant night to dress up optional night or something like that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How does dressing up equate to being a “grown adult”? Why the hell would I ever want to dress like that when I’m on vacation? If that’s what you wanna do, and it makes you feel special in some way, then by all means do it. But leave the rest of us alone. Stop trying to dictate how the rest of us should dress just because you have some warped sense of proper

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

True, but shouldn't grown adults respect the rules without overt "enforcement"?  Isn't that kind of the definition of civility?

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

True - but, not all "grown" people are "adults" . . . 

Tom

45 minutes ago, Underxdog said:

How does dressing up equate to being a “grown adult”? Why the hell would I ever want to dress like that when I’m on vacation? If that’s what you wanna do, and it makes you feel special in some way, then by all means do it. But leave the rest of us alone. Stop trying to dictate how the rest of us should dress just because you have some warped sense of proper

@Underxdog, I think you are misunderstanding what @Tom-n-Cheryl is saying.  Please read their comment in the context of the comment to which they were replying (see above).  There was no implication that dressing up in any way equates with being an adult.

Edited by Schoifmom

1 hour ago, Underxdog said:

Whoa, time to take a chill pill.  It all depends upon someone's perspective as to whether or not they wish to get dressed up for "formal" night, "cruise elegant" night or whatever the cruise line calls it.

If you get dressed up for your job 5 days a week more than likely you want to relax in shorts and be casual while vacationing.  On the other hand, if you work a blue collar job or a casual white collar job, then maybe your significant other wishes you to get dressed up a few nights on your cruise.  There is no right or wrong answer, but it is wrong to lambast someone just because they are on the other side of the line in the sand regarding this topic.  

Cruise lines have relaxed the dress code big time over the last 10+ years starting with NCL.  Unless you're cruising on Cunard, there aren't too many entry level lines or even slightly elevated ones like Celebrity, Princess or HAL that make sport coats mandatory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Underxdog said:

No one said dressing up equates to being a grown adult.  What was said was respecting rules equates to being a grown adult.  Perhaps you should read a little better before you go on the defensive.