Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

9 hours ago, viperfoth said:

I know you stated the 'trick' to get HDMI selection using the Closed Caption before. But do all ships have this trick?

Keep us updated on how the Solstice has been updated for the TVs. Last we went (in AQ) they were roughly 36" TVs that were a bit thick and we had to unplug a MacMini (inside the nightstand) to get it connected.

This January we are all suite for a month in a CS so maybe its different now 🙂

Keep up the posts Jim_Lain... Love them (except for the gas price)

Follow up.     As soon as I got to my room and I clicked the CC button and it popped up.   I later went through the regular routine and worked perfect.    I setup my Firestick and happy I did.     Was watching TV when we set sail and when the flipped on the satellite suddenly on YouTube TV I got a message that I was outside my country.

I logged into my VPN and now watching our Local News from the Bay area.

8 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

We had the same experience.  He just sat there and watched two seniors struggling to get our bags in the car. Also no personality.  Is it a California thing? First time it's ever been that way for us on many trips.

My experience in Northern California is totally different.   Most drivers are very attentive and some even have water and snacks in the back as well as charging cables.

The driver that picked us up in LAX  was a real gentleman and insisted on getting in the car and assured us he would take care of the luggage.    He did the same at San Pedro.  He also was polite and asked about our journey.   He got the extra tip the first driver lost.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, fyree39 said:

We’re on this cruise. On the freeway and should be there in about two hours. Please tell me the app is all we need to board! Never been on Celebrity. RS for our first time. Subscribed!!

Sorry for the delay in answering.    Yes the App was all we used.    Enjoy the RS

6 hours ago, lkj1301 said:

Glad I found this "live" and have finally caught up.

Will be sitting back &  following along.  We have never been on a Pacific coast cruise (yet). And I haven't been to Calif. in many, many, many years (I was 18, on a family summer trip to visit the grandparents).

Have a wonderful cruise.

Lorie

I can tell it's going to be a fun cruise.  The passenger load seems low.   Will get a count later.   Weather is beautiful for departure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ILOVESHIPS said:

We are going on the Solstice  in  a couple of weeks.  Please  tell us how the entertainment is and the dinners in the  Main dining  room.  Thanks for all your  info.

Have a great  cruise.

I hope some of our fellow CC members aboard are reading and can answer you questions.    We rarely go to shows anymore but the entertainments in the Bars, al Bacio and pool are really good so far.

We only eat in Luminae and the Specialties so will not be in the MDR    

I'm sure others will chime in and fill in for my failure. 

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Yes, but... did you wave?!?! 😜

Judging by the relative position of Anacapa Island, we were either at the right edge, or just out of frame in this pic. 

Now, we are in traffic, headed home, and feeling jealous.

Hve an awesome time!!

I did wave ...  It was a beautiful approach.     I was a pilot and always love to see which approaches we use.   Today was 100 Visual. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

No, if you are flying out of the Bay Area in bad weather you want to go San Jose or Oakland. The delays at SFO are terrible.

Your not kidding.   Mostly if the ceilings drop and they go IFR.    The two runways are too close for IFR and they shut one down cutting arrivals by 50%.   Ouch.  

San Jose was quick and dirty.   When we left the terminal the Captain said we should be airborne shortly we are Number 1 for take off.   We weren't even a the threshold.   

4 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

I've only used Uber in the past but will be sure to download the Lyft app before our January cruise on Soltice!  Please let us know how much you pay to return to LAX at the end of your cruise.  

Have a great cruise and thanks for all the info!

Will do.    Maybe I'll book a car in advance and lock in the price.   I'll check prices while we are on the B2B turnaround.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Follow up.     As soon as I got to my room and I clicked the CC button and it popped up.   I later went through the regular routine and worked perfect.    I setup my Firestick and happy I did.     Was watching TV when we set sail and when the flipped on the satellite suddenly on YouTube TV I got a message that I was outside my country.

I logged into my VPN and now watching our Local News from the Bay area.

Jim, how are you getting the stream? Do you have an internet package, or are you able to watch without it?

3 hours ago, silkismom said:

LAX question, do they have golf cart type transportation between terminals? We have a short connection in Apr.

They have inter terminal shuttles.    To my knowledge none of the terminals are physically attached.     Been many years since I changed terminals but you use to have to go outside of security and catch a shuttle then reclear.   Maybe some or our LAX folks can update us.

4 hours ago, Cajuntraveler said:

jelayne - thanks for the info.  We will be arriving LAX on a Friday at 2PM in early January and also staying at the Crowne Plaza.  Reviews of the CP Hotel have been very mixed, making me a little concerned about our choice.  Would you choose this hotel again?  Any tips on the hotel, restaurants and transportation to the ship would be appreciated.  Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

As an aside we met @jelayne at lunch today at Luminae.    Really glad we finally got to meet.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Buckeye94 said:

I can be an extroverted introvert at times! 😀 My attempt will be limited only by the wifi. I am so excited for this trip! Only wish I could join the B2B group for Antarctica, but I need to retire first. Goals! 

Retirement is incredible.   Far better than I could have ever imagined.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, cinderellen said:

Looking forward to following along with you again. My husband and I actually booked this cruise back in June of 2021. It was originally supposed to be on the millennium (our favorite ship). Earlier this year it was changed to the solstice (which we like very much). On top of that, a niece and nephew announced their upcoming weddings, requiring us to fly to two different states within two weeks of each other. Knocked the cruise off the calendar. Enjoy!

Darn -  I'm sure you really enjoyed both of their weddings.   Cruises are fun but family gatherings are on the top of our list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LaCal said:

Happy  to follow your Live posts 

We’re taking our First Celebrity cruise next April on the Solstice and looking forward to your review and photos 

How was the Retreat/Suite check in area in San Pedro? 

Thx and have a great cruise 

Booked another Celebrity cruise yesterday on the Eclipse  for next November to Mexico 😜

Usually we cruise on NCL and Carnival but really looking forward to trying Celebrity 

By the time we arrived at Noon we were the only ones in the Suite area.    No lounge just  a little space with 4 agents.    Check In took no more than 3-5 minutes.   Then through Security and to your room to pick up you seapass and drop your bags.  Our room was already setup.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

No they use the standard HDMI .   May have been the picture I took.   I did have to buy a USB to HDMI as my new PC doesn't have a standard HDMI port.

Thank you for confirming.  Just want to make sure I have the correct type.

My MacBook Air only has two Thunderbolt 3/USB 4 ports so I use a USB to HDMI converter as well. 

29 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I really wish I was more tech savvy. Smart tags, fire stick, hdmi at sea 😳. I wouldn’t know where to begin. 

One mistake was I forgot to switch one of my AirTags to my new suite bag.   When I looked from the airplane Iain's and my backpack were with us but mine was at home.  LOL.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, helenb said:

Jim, how are you getting the stream? Do you have an internet package, or are you able to watch without it?

We get a Free Premium Package as a Zenith.    You have to have the Premium in order to stream.   More on that later.    

I'm still confused -  There is a sign on the desk that we have the new Starlink -   I'll have to see how it goes.   I wasn't aware that they installed it on Solstice.