Women - how many/what kind of cardigans/shrugs/wraps/coverups do you bring?

pookel

On 12/9/2022 at 4:30 AM, awhfy said:

You will have, at most 3 hours at Disney. It’s really better done as a separate trip. You need a lot more time for Disney or it’s really a waste of money 

I believe her itinerary is the same as mine, and if so they're in port from 7 am to 1 am. Plenty of time to get to Disney and back. 

• Like 2

Admittedly I’m an older cruiser, with many cruises under my hat, what I’ve experienced is “ no one “ cares what you are wearing. That said you don’t want to feel out of place. One shawl, kimono, or cardigan is fine for warmth during dining. For comfort most people pack at least one short sleeve top and one long sleeve, pack the same with bottoms, at least one short and one long pant. Weather is unpredictable. You are on vacation be comfortable. That said a lightweight hoodie comes in handy while you are on the deck. Several swim suits sound like what you need. A cotton sarong type wrap works wonders and is useful in many ways. I always have a tee and long cotton pants to sleep in. The pants should be comfortable enough for just lounging in your room. Stateroom temperatures vary. 

Bring and wear a hat, bring an unstructured beach bag. Comfortable foot wear is the most important items to pack. 

To recant: In the future on some cruise lines dress is important. You will want to dress to fit in. 

Regardless relax have fun!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 5:30 AM, awhfy said:

You will have, at most 3 hours at Disney. It’s really better done as a separate trip. You need a lot more time for Disney or it’s really a waste of money 

I think we'll have more, but even so it's not a waste for me. I've been before and know just where I want to go and what I want to see again. I didn't book shore excursions at the other ports because nothing really caught my eye, and this trip is my reward for surviving a hellish semester. I agree that I'd love to have more time at Disney, but I'm thrilled to get to go at all. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, rtdiva said:

Admittedly I’m an older cruiser, with many cruises under my hat, what I’ve experienced is “ no one “ cares what you are wearing ... 

... Bring and wear a hat, bring an unstructured beach bag. Comfortable foot wear is the most important items to pack ...

I did learn something about other people "caring what you wear". 

I took a tee-shirt that my friends gave me when I retired in June:  It says "RETIRED ENGLISH TEACHER.  Fix the grammar yourself".  I love this tee; I'm actually wearing it right this minute.    

I took this tee and gray Sophie shorts for the gym, but I ended up putting them on kinda late at night when I was going down to the Promenade to get a snack /drink to bring back to the room.  EVERYONE read that tee and laughed.  EVERYONE.  Then I felt like I couldn't wear it again.  I felt like it'd be "obvious" that I was wearing it again.  I won't take a "memorable tee" again.  

21 hours ago, Antimony said:

... this trip is my reward for surviving a hellish semester ... 

Teaching or studying? 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Antimony said:

Studying - I'm in nursing school. I plan on getting my Master's degree and teaching, but that's definitely a long-term goal.

Oh, wow -- good for you.  My oldest daughter is an RN, and it was a hard degree -- but she's had some great career opportunities.  She graduated from college in 2016 and has already left what she calls "bedside nursing" and is in nurse management.  She doesn't have a Masters, but she worked her way up from Clinical Nurse 1 to Clinical Nurse 3.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 12:36 PM, pookel said:

We are flying from ND to Newark the night before and then making our way over to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in the morning, so yeah, I think I need a coat 🙂  It's a lightweight puffer coat from Columbia

I'm also doing NYC to Bermuda in January and I'm also thinking about sweaters.

The internet claims average temp in Bermuda in January is 70 for a high and 60 for a low, and can be rainy. That to me is chilly, I am one of those always cold folks, so I'm bringing more lighter layers and fewer summer clothes. I'm basically planning on dressing for casual early fall/spring with some flexibility. 

I'm planning on wearing a Columbia zip up fleece under my lightweight Columbia omni-heat jacket for boarding, instead of a big winter coat. So that should cover me for anything from snow in NYC to a rainy day on land to chilly night on deck. Either piece can be stuffed into a carry on.The Columbia stuff isn't officially rainwear but I've noticed it's decent at shrugging off light rain while staying warm. 

I'll probably bring three of those light, drapey Jersey knit cardigans to throw over nice tops or tanks and black skinny jeans for casual evening outfits. Daytime is casual, I tend to live in Columbia hiking pants. I swear, I don't work for Columbia. I just like how practical the clothes are and they travel so well.

I haven't figured out formal night, I'm on NCL and not inclined to get super dressed up, maybe a cute velvet dress and flats. I'll bring a sun dress in case, which I can wear with one if the cardigans if it's chilly.

So basically I'm bringing my usual fall clothes with a couple of summer outfits in case we do get a warmer than normal day. The nice thing about the layers is that they're all light so they pack easily and if you need to hand wash, they dry quickly.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:11 PM, pookel said:

Is it January 16 out of NYC on the Norwegian Gem?? That's my cruise & we have a roll call for it here too. 

Oh, I'll be on the Gem the week before you. I'll let you know how it goes. My entire wardrobe is basically some flavor of drapey cardigan over layers, in everything from duster to shrug length. 

• Like 2

On 12/15/2022 at 12:01 AM, Antimony said:

I think we'll have more, but even so it's not a waste for me. I've been before and know just where I want to go and what I want to see again. I didn't book shore excursions at the other ports because nothing really caught my eye, and this trip is my reward for surviving a hellish semester. I agree that I'd love to have more time at Disney, but I'm thrilled to get to go at all. 

That's Disney Marathon Weekend. The parks will be packed and some roads will be closed. Just an FYI

• Like 1