Women - how many/what kind of cardigans/shrugs/wraps/coverups do you bring?

pookel

2 minutes ago, pookel said:

TY for the clarifications! I wasn't thinking of using a coverup for an evening wrap, more like something to throw over a tank top for a casual day outfit on a day when I wasn't swimming. But I hadn't considered the possibility of sand & sweat - that definitely sounds less appealing.

I'm also trying to focus on clothes that are very thin/light/packable so I can have more options without them taking up a ton of space.

You say it's your first cruise ... you're probably not considering that, unlike at home, you don't have a washing machine at your fingertips.  

Yes, thin /light /packable is the key.  Also folding things well makes a big difference.  And watch your shoes -- they are such space hogs.  

6 minutes ago, pookel said:

Honestly it just started because I realized I already own at least 4 tops that are very thin & stretchy knits - you know the type you can crumple into a tiny ball and they don't wrinkle? and I own lightweight black and white capris already. So I started with "stuff I own that packs well" but now I'm hunting for matching pieces on Poshmark and this may be a problem for my bargain hunting obsession, lol

"Stuff I already own" is a great starting place.  

I don't do capris, but starting with your bottom pieces makes sense ... add 2-3 tops that'll match each bottom.  I'll re-use a pair of shorts ... unless they've been worn off the ship for an island day /are too sweaty.  I plan carefully and wear already-worn-once shorts for a day of walking around the islands.

• Like 1

Today I'm packing for our next-week cruise, which is only three days.  As an example, here's what I'm packing /how I'm thinking it through.  When we cruised in September, I had exactly enough clothes -- I used everything /didn't take home a single thing un-used.  

Driving day:  Wear yoga pants, tee shirt, lightweight jacket, slip-on tennis shoes  

Packed in the shared night-before-hotel-tote:  Nightgown, boarding outfit ... this will stay in the car /along with the dirty clothes from the drive. 

Day 1, boarding day:  Orange print shorts, blousey-blue top, slip-on tennis shoes ... we will not swim on the first day, so this will be my around-the-ship outfit. 

Day 1, Dinner -- theme: casual:  Same outfit 

Day 2, on board morning:  Swimsuit, cover up, sandals.  

Day 2, Bahamas afternoon:  Same orange print shorts, white blousey-top, slip-on tennis shoes. 

Day 2, Dinner -- theme: dressy:  Blue dress, sandals ... have a blue chambray shirt, which works for a light jacket if needed for the evening 

Day 3,  Cocoa Cay:  Same swimsuit, cover up, sandals 

Day 3, afternoon onboard:  White stripe tee-dress, sandals 

Day 3, dinner -- theme: tropical:  White stripe tee-dress ... same blue chambray shirt if needed as a jacket 

Day 4, Disembarkation:  Blue chambray shirt, bright print leggings, slip-on tennis shoes 

Total clothes -- 10 items of clothing + 2 pairs of shoes  

- 1 pair shorts

- 1 pair leggings 

- 3 tops 

- 2 dresses 

- 1 swimsuit & 1 cover up 

- 2 pairs shoes -- a better-dressed woman would bring dressier shoes for the blue dress, but since they'd only be worn once, I'm just not doing it for a three-day cruise.  

- 1 night gown 

Do you know the 5-4-3-2-1 packing pattern?  Check out Pinterest, and you'll find lots of examples.  It really works, though I always end up tweaking it a bit.  

50 minutes ago, pookel said:

Honestly it just started because I realized I already own at least 4 tops that are very thin & stretchy knits - you know the type you can crumple into a tiny ball and they don't wrinkle? and I own lightweight black and white capris already. So I started with "stuff I own that packs well" but now I'm hunting for matching pieces on Poshmark and this may be a problem for my bargain hunting obsession, lol

re:  Poshmark -- unless you've 'shopped' there before (or on ThredUp) --- be warned --- both sites aren't the best for descriptions, sizes, conditions & returns to both are a real PIA.  I won't even look at those sites after being burned twice on both.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

re:  Poshmark -- unless you've 'shopped' there before (or on ThredUp) --- be warned --- both sites aren't the best for descriptions, sizes, conditions & returns to both are a real PIA.  I won't even look at those sites after being burned twice on both.

I have had really good luck with Poshmark, but I am SUPER picky about making sure the stuff I order is well described, with measurements and photos of the size/brand tags and multiple photos of the exact item that's being sent. I am too lazy to do returns ever, even if I intend to, so I figure if I get something that doesn't work for me I'll just donate to a thrift store.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Total clothes -- 10 items of clothing + 2 pairs of shoes  

- 1 pair shorts

- 1 pair leggings 

- 3 tops 

- 2 dresses 

- 1 swimsuit & 1 cover up 

- 2 pairs shoes -- a better-dressed woman would bring dressier shoes for the blue dress, but since they'd only be worn once, I'm just not doing it for a three-day cruise.  

- 1 night gown 

Do you know the 5-4-3-2-1 packing pattern?  Check out Pinterest, and you'll find lots of examples.  It really works, though I always end up tweaking it a bit.  

Thank you so much for this list!! I do not know the 5-4-3-2-1 packing pattern, I'll make sure to look that up.

For reference here is my draft packing list. Nine-day NCL cruise out of NYC to Bermuda, Bahamas, Florida, then back to NYC. PLEASE feel free to critique anything that sounds unnecessary or anything you think I'm missing:

In the suitcase:

1 – evening dress, gray beaded

4 – casual dresses (b&w maxi, b&w midi, black slinky maxi, blue and green maxi)

2 – capris (1 black, 1 white)

1 – black shorts

5-6 – tops – misc lightweight coordinating with black and white, 1 black tank top, 1 plain white shirt*

5-6 – camisoles/shaping tanks (instead of bras, I don't normally do bras)

3 – thin bike shorts to wear under dresses

1 – black TC2 leggings

10-12 pairs of underwear

1 – actual bra (maybe)

1 – bathing suit

1 – black tie-front cardigan

1 – white tie-front cardigan (maybe)

1 – dressy black lace cardigan/shawl*

1 – swim coverup

2 – shoes (1 black sandals that can dress up or down, 1 white Keds)

3-4 – pairs of socks

Wearing on the plane both ways: black Duluth Trading pants, long-sleeved shirt, warm black cardigan, winter coat, socks, sneakers

• Like 1

So you have 5 dresses to wear to 9 dinners.  This is good.  Most of these dresses could "double" as afternoon-around-the-ship dresses as well.  

The thing that started this discussion:  I think three cardigans is overkill + another that you're wearing during travel.  Pick one.    

3 bottom pieces + 5-6 tops.  With 9 days, I'd be tempted to add another pair of shorts + 1 more shirt.  Of course, you have the maxi dresses too.  I'd be afraid capris would be too hot in the Caribbean.  

I don't think the leggings will be useful in the Caribbean -- and you've already identified your travel pants.  

I sometimes wear bike shorts under dresses too, especially during the day on the ship -- the wind can whip your skirt up, giving everyone "a show".  But three of your four non-dress-ups are maxis -- you wouldn't wear bike shorts under a maxi dress, would you?  I think you could drop to one.  

I'm getting the idea you're not a water person?  For 9 days, for sure I'd bring 3 swimsuits & 3 coverups.  What about water shoes for beach days?  I'd bring them only if you're doing some sort of a water-based excursion OR if you know you're going to a rocky beach.  

You're bringing one pair of black sandals that can dress up or down -- I think you're light here.  I'd go with a pair of dressy shoes to finish off your dinner dresses nicely + a pair of walking sandals.  

Travel outfit:  I'd go with a short sleeved shirt under the cardigan -- when you arrive in Florida, long pants and a long-sleeved shirt will be pretty hot.  

I don't take any socks on the ship, but I don't wear a lot of socks at home.  Also, I'm coming from the Carolinas, where the temp will be 50-60ish /will wear slip-on Keds for travel. 

You didn't mention a nightgown.  What about gym clothes?  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

I suspect you're not as fat as I am 😄 The bike shorts under dresses are to keep my thighs from rubbing together uncomfortably, not for modesty. I pretty much have to wear either those or leggings under any dress or skirt I wear.

I do enjoy the water - what I don't enjoy is *sunshine* actually (I realize I'm weird!). If I have my swimsuit on, I want to be in the water swimming - I don't want to spend a lot of time lying around at the beach or sitting by the pool, it's just kind of boring to me and usually too bright/sunny for my comfort. So I'm expecting to swim on the beach days in the Bahamas and probably go to the pool or a hot tub a few times on the cruise, but I'm not really interested in just sitting around the pool area all day.

I've been looking at packing lists that recommend 2-3 swimsuits and thinking they were insane. I guess I don't see the point in bringing more than one? Is that just in case one is still wet and you want to get back in the pool later that day? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to bring a spare.

I do own pajamas, but I was figuring to cut down on clothes I'd probably be fine sleeping in camis and bike shorts.

Is there anything I'm likely to need gym clothes for other than going to the gym? I'm not really a gym person. 

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The thing that started this discussion:  I think three cardigans is overkill + another that you're wearing during travel.  Pick one.    

OK, one thing to keep in mind here is that, given the choice, I will wear a cardigan all day, every day. I have light ones for summer and heavy sweaters for fall and spring. I have crochet cardigans and T-shirt cardigans and sweater cardigans, I have waist-length cardigans and mid-calf cardigans .... I am a cardigan person. So paring it down to 3-4 is already quite difficult for me 😄 But I will take that under advisement!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, Oh...the winter coat? Traveling from ND........I agree, even if I lived in cold country, not sure I would want to bring one on a cruise.

Colorado here, I bring a packable down hooded jacket (it weighs about 6 oz & has its own packing bag (makes a lovely pillow). 

• Like 3

Pookel I’d definitely add another swimsuit, nothing worse than trying to put a cold, wet swimsuit back on (& it can take more than one day to dry a bathing suit on a ship, nothing left on veranda). I understand wanting cardigans, but honestly, it’ll likely be too hot to wear one except in the evening on deck. I wear one onboard (it can be cool in FL) & always have a black cardi for evenings. I’d add one more pair of shoes (my feet swell terribly on all ships & I need to switch footwear. Good luck & enjoy

31 minutes ago, pookel said:

I suspect you're not as fat as I am 😄 The bike shorts under dresses are to keep my thighs from rubbing together uncomfortably, not for modesty. I pretty much have to wear either those or leggings under any dress or skirt I wear.

I do enjoy the water - what I don't enjoy is *sunshine* actually (I realize I'm weird!). If I have my swimsuit on, I want to be in the water swimming - I don't want to spend a lot of time lying around at the beach or sitting by the pool, it's just kind of boring to me and usually too bright/sunny for my comfort. So I'm expecting to swim on the beach days in the Bahamas and probably go to the pool or a hot tub a few times on the cruise, but I'm not really interested in just sitting around the pool area all day.

I've been looking at packing lists that recommend 2-3 swimsuits and thinking they were insane. I guess I don't see the point in bringing more than one? Is that just in case one is still wet and you want to get back in the pool later that day? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to bring a spare.

I do own pajamas, but I was figuring to cut down on clothes I'd probably be fine sleeping in camis and bike shorts.

Is there anything I'm likely to need gym clothes for other than going to the gym? I'm not really a gym person. 

OK, one thing to keep in mind here is that, given the choice, I will wear a cardigan all day, every day. I have light ones for summer and heavy sweaters for fall and spring. I have crochet cardigans and T-shirt cardigans and sweater cardigans, I have waist-length cardigans and mid-calf cardigans .... I am a cardigan person. So paring it down to 3-4 is already quite difficult for me 😄 But I will take that under advisement!

Yeah, I wear bike shorts for modesty.  

Pool thoughts:  I'd say add a ball cap to wear while swimming.  Or a bucket hat.  You can't really wear a pretty straw hat while swimming, but either of these will help with the sunshine.  

I don't like to wear the same swimsuit over and over.  I like to mix up the tan lines, and -- no -- I don't like to put on a suit that's still damp from its last use.  We tend to choose water-based excursions, so we wear our "swimmies" often.  

I just mentioned the night clothes and the gym clothes so you wouldn't arrive and say, "Oh, no!"  I won't take gym clothes for a 3-day, but I'm going to eat dessert every day, so -- for a longer cruise -- I'd bring them. 

Would you want something like gym clothes to toss on late at night to make a Promenade pizza run?  Askin', not tellin'.  

Maybe you could compromise with two cardigans, one being the one you wear for travel?  They're bulky, and I don't think they'll "earn their space" in your suitcase.  

I love a good Cardigan! I'm bringing 2 this cruise. One is a plain black cotton button front, great for dinner if it gets a bit chilly in MDR. I also brought a favorite soft light blue acrylic button up cardigan. Both are solid color. I'm also bringing a zip front hooded sweatshirt.

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No -- I don't like to put on a suit that's still damp from its last use.  We tend to choose water-based excursions, so we wear our "swimmies" often.  

I absolutely hate wearing a damp swimsuit. It would have to be on like my top 20 peeves of life list. I bring 2 swimsuits. I don't care about my tan lines but I very much care about wearing a damp swimsuit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't get the default to black clothing thing.  In addition to being somber, it shows dirt and doesn't look great with no-tan skin.  I've never understood the LBD concept.  

Personally, I have one black dress, and it's for funerals.  

That's great for you, but others may have different feelings. I personally think black and white can look very smart, especially with a few pops of color. A lot of color can be very overwhelming to some people's coloring, just as all black can wash out others. It's not a one size fits all thing. That's why you'll find so many people doing those workshops to figure out their best colors.

Also, I prefer to stick to one or two base colors when traveling -- everything then plays nicely together and I can generally pack less.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pookel said:

Did you knit that?? It's fabulous!! I only knit basic scarves and hats but I know enough to appreciate how beautiful your work is there ❤️ 

I did.  If you are on Ravelry check out Boo Knits.  They are not as hard as they look.  

I would add another swimsuit to your list.  They do take a long time to dry on a cruise.

34 minutes ago, oyme said:

I absolutely hate wearing a damp swimsuit. It would have to be on like my top 20 peeves of life list. I bring 2 swimsuits ...

I don't know that it's in my top 20, but I definitely dislike it!  

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

That's great for you, but others may have different feelings. I personally think black and white can look very smart, especially with a few pops of color. A lot of color can be very overwhelming to some people's coloring, just as all black can wash out others. It's not a one size fits all thing. That's why you'll find so many people doing those workshops to figure out their best colors.

Also, I prefer to stick to one or two base colors when traveling -- everything then plays nicely together and I can generally pack less.

Whereas I find all black to be ... basic and clone-ish.  It's not that the color doesn't look good on me (and most people); it's that it's just too common.  I mean, on a cruise formal night, for example, it seems that 80%+ of the ladies are wearing black, and they all blend together.  

I also have never quite understood the idea 1-2 colors for traveling.  Once you've worn the pink shorts twice, and they're in the dirty clothes, what does it matter if the rest of your shirts match them?  Rather, for travel, I think of clothes in "pods" ... maybe a pair of pink shorts + 2-3 shirts that match them, then a gray skirt + 2-3 shirts that match it.  Makes sense to me.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keksie said:

I did.  If you are on Ravelry check out Boo Knits.  They are not as hard as they look.  

I would add another swimsuit to your list.  They do take a long time to dry on a cruise.

This isn't about packing, but -- OP, since it's your first cruise, you may not know -- you'll have a clothesline in the shower where you can dry your swimsuit.  

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I also have never quite understood the idea 1-2 colors for traveling.  Once you've worn the pink shorts twice, and they're in the dirty clothes, what does it matter if the rest of your shirts match them?  Rather, for travel, I think of clothes in "pods" ... maybe a pair of pink shorts + 2-3 shirts that match them, then a gray skirt + 2-3 shirts that match it.  Makes sense to me.  

Perhaps, but if black (or navy, or whatever) is my basic color, I don't need to bring different purses, shoes, belts, etc. to go with the different colors.

And I'd sure rather be wearing black pants on the airplane than pink ones when the guy next to me knocks his coffee cup over onto my lap....

At any rate, it's worked for me over years of travel....

• Like 1

Just as a walk down memory lane, I remember when I first started traveling more (around 2000-2001), I was obsessed with the wardrobe of Marisa Tomei in the the film Only You (also helped fuel my love for Italy). 

I loved how much mileage she got out of a white (stunningly cut) pantsuit, a black dress with a white cardigan/shawl, a black and white polka dot chiffon scarf and a dark red dress in addition to a pair of black pants and an oversized white blouse. And of course the iconic black sunglasses....  Very inspirational to me before "capsule wardrobes" became a thing....

And apparently I wasn't the only one:

https://www.stylepop.es/home/only-you/7/9/2020

and

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Perhaps, but if black (or navy, or whatever) is my basic color, I don't need to bring different purses, shoes, belts, etc. to go with the different colors.

And I'd sure rather be wearing black pants on the airplane than pink ones when the guy next to me knocks his coffee cup over onto my lap....

At any rate, it's worked for me over years of travel....

I agree that -- assuming packing light is your goal, and it certainly is mine -- packing one pair of shoes for all your dinner dresses is a good goal.  But I don't agree that this means all your dresses must be the same color.  On our last cruise I packed brown /gold wedges, which matched all my dinner dresses.  Our next cruise is 3 nights (which tends to be extremely casual), and I'm sticking with simple brown sandals.  

Spilled coffee.  Really?  

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just as a walk down memory lane, I remember when I first started traveling more (around 2000-2001), I was obsessed with the wardrobe of Marisa Tomei in the the film Only You (also helped fuel my love for Italy). 

I loved how much mileage she got out of a white (stunningly cut) pantsuit, a black dress with a white cardigan/shawl, a black and white polka dot chiffon scarf and a dark red dress in addition to a pair of black pants and an oversized white blouse. And of course the iconic black sunglasses....  Very inspirational to me before "capsule wardrobes" became a thing....

And apparently I wasn't the only one:

https://www.stylepop.es/home/only-you/7/9/2020

and

Well now I want to see that movie, but I can't say I'm ga-ga over her clothes based upon these pictures -- but they do suit the actress' body type well, and they're classic.  RDJ's outfit looks "dated" -- makes me nostalgic for my college days -- but hers would still work today.  

2 hours ago, pookel said:

I've been looking at packing lists that recommend 2-3 swimsuits and thinking they were insane. I guess I don't see the point in bringing more than one? Is that just in case one is still wet and you want to get back in the pool later that day?

Trust me, bring two. If you only bring one and you lose it, tear it, ruin it, forget it somewhere... it can be hard to find one that fits. Last year I left my suits in a drawer at the precruise hotel and had to buy the ONE that fit in the Princess shop for a ridiculous sum. I was quite racy up top! At least I got to swim though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BTW I live in NYC and black is our default, so it's always the base of my evening wear, shoes and pants. I just switch out my tops and jewelry and that's where my color is. Jewelry is small to pack.

I also think a winter coat is key. You don't want to miss the sailaway past the Statue of Liberty and going under the Verrazano Bridge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Trust me, bring two. If you only bring one and you lose it, tear it, ruin it, forget it somewhere... it can be hard to find one that fits. Last year I left my suits in a drawer at the precruise hotel and had to buy the ONE that fit in the Princess shop for a ridiculous sum. I was quite racy up top! At least I got to swim though.

Oh, no!  

Another tip:  Try on everything as you pack it.  You don't want to discover that the shorts you haven't worn in 6 months are missing a button or that the fancy pants you rarely wear are now too tight.  A friend of mine cruised mid-winter /only brought one swimsuit.  On the ship, she discovered that the swimsuit's elastic had gone bad -- you know how elastic can get really old (fast) and it's all crackle-y.  So her suit bottoms were constantly falling down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

Pookel I’d definitely add another swimsuit, nothing worse than trying to put a cold, wet swimsuit back on (& it can take more than one day to dry a bathing suit on a ship, nothing left on veranda). I understand wanting cardigans, but honestly, it’ll likely be too hot to wear one except in the evening on deck. I wear one onboard (it can be cool in FL) & always have a black cardi for evenings. I’d add one more pair of shoes (my feet swell terribly on all ships & I need to switch footwear. Good luck & enjoy

Oh, just by way of explanation, some of the cardigans I'm talking about are like this one - very lightweight and packable and not warm at all:

image.png.10a87a3f0cb3171da22a628836f83d11.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I don't know that it's in my top 20, but I definitely dislike it!  

Whereas I find all black to be ... basic and clone-ish.  It's not that the color doesn't look good on me (and most people); it's that it's just too common.  I mean, on a cruise formal night, for example, it seems that 80%+ of the ladies are wearing black, and they all blend together.  

This is probably doable if you're good at coordinating outfits, but I am frankly really bad at it, so a simpler theme is probably necessary so I don't end up with a suitcase full of tops and bottoms I can't manage to put a single outfit together out of. If everything matches everything else, I can't possibly go wrong, right?