Women - how many/what kind of cardigans/shrugs/wraps/coverups do you bring?

pookel

I'm planning for a January cruise to Bermuda/Bahamas, which can be cool in the winter apparently (I've never been on a cruise) and I want to be prepared for both cool and warm temperatures while not over-packing.

I'm planning to mostly pack black and white clothes so I can mix and match without bringing too much stuff. My tops and dresses are mostly patterned so I have solid-color cardigans.

Right now I have -

Lightweight jersey black cardigan (casual)

Lightweight jersey white cardigan (casual)

Medium-weight black sweater cardigan (a little dressier)

I'm considering buying/bringing - 

A dressy black lace or crochet cardigan or shawl (something VERY lightweight)

A long/modest white swimsuit coverup

Is this enough? Too much? Should I bring one heavier sweater also? (I will also have an actual winter coat along since I'm flying in from North Dakota, fwiw)

Hi,😀 I always bring a black cardigan for evenings.  I am counting 4 you are bringing?....we are all different. I would not pack that many, but that is just me.   Mixing and matching is a good thing though.  

A bathing suit cover up is not in the same category as cardigans.  I always bring a cover up for bathing suit attire. 

I have been to Bermuda multiple times but never in January.  I would suggest checking the weather about 2 weeks before you sail and that will give you a better reference on what to pack.

4 is a lot. I wear a bright colored cardigan boarding the ship. Depending on my color palette I bring a black or white cardigan for evenings. As Lois said, a bathing suit coverup is an entire different animal. You need a swimsuit coverup no matter the weather (don’t be one of those that wears the provided bathrobe to the pool). Hope you enjoy your first cruise

I guess I was thinking if I got the right kind of coverup it could double as a wrap/cardigan to wear with a tank top and pants, to expand the outfit possibilities. Sounds like you guys are saying I won't need so many of the others though? I have a month and a half to pare down, lol

• Like 1

As mentioned, I bring 1 black cardigan for evenings........so, no I would never bring 4.  My bathing suit cover up looks sort of like a dress (I have been told).  It is a watercolor print that zips up the front and has pockets and is short sleeved.

12 hours ago, pookel said:

I am looking at this sort of style fwiw

image.png.330aa8ba8fc03321e9cd24bdded176d7.png

That’s a pretty ruana. Amazon has tons at very good prices. I wouldn’t wear that as a swimsuit coverup tho 

We don't have AC at home, so I tend to feel cold on a ship all the time.  Therefore, everything I take on a  cruise now, for wearing on the ship, has long sleeves, especially my evening wear.  

Cardigans and I do not get along very well, unfortunately.  I'm working on the idea of a pashmina, but have not yet actually worn one.

• Like 1

With a January cruise and inclusion of Bermuda I agree it could be chilly on some of your days, especially sea days going to and coming from Bermuda. Where does the ship depart from?

I would probably take one nice cardi for evening (black), then have another warm-ish layer for daytime, whether that is a fleece or a cardi. Plus a light windbreaker or rain jacket that could be worn over at least one layer to stop the wind on deck.

I agree that I'd normally put your bathing suit cover-up in a different category. 

• Like 1

I think what you are planning is about right.  I don't pack lightly and don't want to.  I like choices. 

For a bathing suit coverup I bring one of the coverups from Landsend or a thin sundress from one of my trips.

During the day I would bring a light sweater.

For the ship (which I think is usually cool with the ac) I bring a variety of my knitted shawls.  They are lacy but are silk and add a nice bit of warmth and bling.  I don't have a glamour shot but this is my latest on the blocking mats.

Bewitched.thumb.jpeg.a4a06033d0b0d6c1abba36af618b1954.jpeg

• Like 3

First:  do you truly need your heavy winter coat?  If you are just going from home to car to airport and repeat, you could probably get away without it.  I do the same thing from Utah and I don't take the coat unless I'm going someplace where I am going to have to use the coat.  One of your outer layers you are taking and add a winter scarf may be good enough.

Second:  Where did you find that ruana?  It looks like something I could wear at work.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

First:  do you truly need your heavy winter coat?  If you are just going from home to car to airport and repeat, you could probably get away without it.  I do the same thing from Utah and I don't take the coat unless I'm going someplace where I am going to have to use the coat.  One of your outer layers you are taking and add a winter scarf may be good enough.

Second:  Where did you find that ruana?  It looks like something I could wear at work.  

Hi Kat, Oh...the winter coat? Traveling from ND........I agree, even if I lived in cold country, not sure I would want to bring one on a cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, Oh...the winter coat? Traveling from ND........I agree, even if I lived in cold country, not sure I would want to bring one on a cruise.

Hi Lois.  I can see it if I'm going to be waiting outside for 30 minutes... But, to me, is it really worth having to drag it around the airports, waiting to embark, disembarking...  It's one of those "risk/reward" things. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keksie said:

I think what you are planning is about right.  I don't pack lightly and don't want to.  I like choices. 

For a bathing suit coverup I bring one of the coverups from Landsend or a thin sundress from one of my trips.

During the day I would bring a light sweater.

For the ship (which I think is usually cool with the ac) I bring a variety of my knitted shawls.  They are lacy but are silk and add a nice bit of warmth and bling.  I don't have a glamour shot but this is my latest on the blocking mats.

Bewitched.thumb.jpeg.a4a06033d0b0d6c1abba36af618b1954.jpeg

Did you knit that?? It's fabulous!! I only knit basic scarves and hats but I know enough to appreciate how beautiful your work is there ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

We are flying from ND to Newark the night before and then making our way over to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in the morning, so yeah, I think I need a coat 🙂  It's a lightweight puffer coat from Columbia so hopefully it won't be too bad carrying it around. (But I definitely want something midweight for the cruise because it's probably overkill once we're on the ship).

Also it's pretty normal with the little planes between Bismarck and Denver to have to get off the plane through stairs out on the runway and then walk over to the terminal. It might be as cold as -30F in ND in January, so I wouldn't want to risk going without my coat even for just a few hundred feet.

• Like 1

Winter coat?  YES!  We take a winter cruise from Baltimore every year, and I always board in my warmest winter coat, gloves, etc.  I need it for the trip (road) to the port, and for standing in line at the terminal. Then, if the deck is not snow-covered, I want to be out there for the first hour or so as we depart.  I will wear it that night if we go out on deck again, and I might still need it the next morning. When I can put it away, it goes into a big zipper bag, smooshed down (it's a down coat) and tossed under the bed.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:08 PM, pookel said:

I'm planning for a January cruise to Bermuda/Bahamas, which can be cool in the winter apparently (I've never been on a cruise) and I want to be prepared for both cool and warm temperatures while not over-packing.

I'm planning to mostly pack black and white clothes so I can mix and match without bringing too much stuff. My tops and dresses are mostly patterned so I have solid-color cardigans.

Right now I have -

Lightweight jersey black cardigan (casual)

Lightweight jersey white cardigan (casual)

Medium-weight black sweater cardigan (a little dressier)

I'm considering buying/bringing - 

A dressy black lace or crochet cardigan or shawl (something VERY lightweight)

A long/modest white swimsuit coverup

Is this enough? Too much? Should I bring one heavier sweater also? (I will also have an actual winter coat along since I'm flying in from North Dakota, fwiw)

First, check the temperature for B/B, where you'll be visiting.  I'm boarding a ship Monday for the same destinations, and the temperatures are supposed to be high 70s/low 80s.  It's not likely to be too different a month from now -- so likely the one lightweight cardigan will be plenty for the evenings, and you won't need anything warm in the day.  I'd say pack short sleeves tops instead of sleeveless, and you'll be "just right".  

Some people say they're "always cold" inside the ship ... for example, at dinner or in the theater.  I'm not, but you know your own leanings.  Still, one basic-colored lightweight cardigan that matches multiple outfits will be enough for evenings.  When I sailed in September, I brought a lightweight chambray shirt, which worked as a shirt or a light jacket ... I used it only while watching a "movie under the stars".  When I cruise next week, I'm bringing the same shirt; I plan to wear it and a cami top home over bright-print leggings ... I think that'll work well for a day that begins in the tropics and ends back home in the 50s.  

Yes, you'll want a swimsuit coverup to wear between your room and the pool ... or off the ship for a beach day.  If you're going for a week, I'd say you need more than one; coverups get hot and sweaty if you wear them for a beach day.  I personally wouldn't go with anything long.  Check Lands' End's swim cover-ups.  I think I have 6-8, and they're similar to tee-shirt dresses.  Modest and most have pockets.  You don't feel half-dressed in the elevator or if you go into the Windjammer for a drink.

Last thought:  All black and white?  Dull, dull, dull!  With all the wonderful colors in the world, I've never understood why so many women default to black.  It makes them look like everyone else in the room.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pookel said:

I guess I was thinking if I got the right kind of coverup it could double as a wrap/cardigan to wear with a tank top and pants, to expand the outfit possibilities. Sounds like you guys are saying I won't need so many of the others though? I have a month and a half to pare down, lol

I can't imagine a swim cover-up doubling as a wrap for the evenings.  I mean, it's going to get hot and sweaty.  

You've heard the saying:  Pack what you think you need, then take out half of it.  

35 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Winter coat?  YES!  We take a winter cruise from Baltimore every year, and I always board in my warmest winter coat, gloves, etc.  I need it for the trip (road) to the port, and for standing in line at the terminal. Then, if the deck is not snow-covered, I want to be out there for the first hour or so as we depart.  I will wear it that night if we go out on deck again, and I might still need it the next morning. When I can put it away, it goes into a big zipper bag, smooshed down (it's a down coat) and tossed under the bed.

Since I drive from NC, I have the option to leave my lightweight jacket in the car -- but, since we're all traveling from different starting spots, this is really one of those things that isn't "one size fits all".  

I should probably add that I don't expect to be lounging around in my swimsuit and coverup all afternoon .... I know some people like to do that but I just don't find it comfortable, personally, so I'm more likely to wear it just briefly on my way back to my room to change into clothes that aren't wet.

Looking at our itinerary I think I will have at most two "beach days" both in the Bahamas (because I signed up for a cave tour in Bermuda and we're going to Disney from Port Canaveral). Do people generally wear their swimsuit/coverup all day for those? I have not been to a beach where you could swim since I was 4 years old at Padre Island, so I'm really clueless here!

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Last thought:  All black and white?  Dull, dull, dull!  With all the wonderful colors in the world, I've never understood why so many women default to black.  It makes them look like everyone else in the room.  

Well, to each their own, right? 😄 I do have some other colors mixed in, but the staple pieces are all black or white. I don't look great in bright colors anyway, so I'm OK with it. But it's kind of an experiment for me, so we'll see how well I like it after I spend nine days wearing the same colors!

14 minutes ago, pookel said:

I should probably add that I don't expect to be lounging around in my swimsuit and coverup all afternoon .... I know some people like to do that but I just don't find it comfortable, personally, so I'm more likely to wear it just briefly on my way back to my room to change into clothes that aren't wet.

Looking at our itinerary I think I will have at most two "beach days" both in the Bahamas (because I signed up for a cave tour in Bermuda and we're going to Disney from Port Canaveral). Do people generally wear their swimsuit/coverup all day for those? I have not been to a beach where you could swim since I was 4 years old at Padre Island, so I'm really clueless here!

Think it through ... you've been at the pool a couple hours.  Your swimsuit is wet.  You put on your cover up to walk back to the room ... now it's wet too.  I can't see the cover up being okay for dinner or the theater in the evening.  

If they're heading off the ship for a beach day, most people will wear a swimsuit /cover up (or swim trunks /matching tee for a guy) off the ship and at the beach.  Upon returning to the ship, most people will shower and change into shorts or other comfortable day clothes.  BUT the cover up will be wet and sweaty and fit only for the dirty clothes bin.  Personally, I'd re-wear shorts that've just been "around the ship", and I'd re-wear a dress that'd only been to dinner ... but I wouldn't rewear a cover up that'd been off the ship for a beach day.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pookel said:

Well, to each their own, right? 😄 I do have some other colors mixed in, but the staple pieces are all black or white. I don't look great in bright colors anyway, so I'm OK with it. But it's kind of an experiment for me, so we'll see how well I like it after I spend nine days wearing the same colors!

I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't get the default to black clothing thing.  In addition to being somber, it shows dirt and doesn't look great with no-tan skin.  I've never understood the LBD concept.  

Personally, I have one black dress, and it's for funerals.  

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Think it through ... you've been at the pool a couple hours.  Your swimsuit is wet.  You put on your cover up to walk back to the room ... now it's wet too.  I can't see the cover up being okay for dinner or the theater in the evening.  

If they're heading off the ship for a beach day, most people will wear a swimsuit /cover up (or swim trunks /matching tee for a guy) off the ship and at the beach.  Upon returning to the ship, most people will shower and change into shorts or other comfortable day clothes.  BUT the cover up will be wet and sweaty and fit only for the dirty clothes bin.  Personally, I'd re-wear shorts that've just been "around the ship", and I'd re-wear a dress that'd only been to dinner ... but I wouldn't rewear a cover up that'd been off the ship for a beach day.  

TY for the clarifications! I wasn't thinking of using a coverup for an evening wrap, more like something to throw over a tank top for a casual day outfit on a day when I wasn't swimming. But I hadn't considered the possibility of sand & sweat - that definitely sounds less appealing.

I'm also trying to focus on clothes that are very thin/light/packable so I can have more options without them taking up a ton of space.

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't get the default to black clothing thing.  In addition to being somber, it shows dirt and doesn't look great with no-tan skin.  I've never understood the LBD concept.  

Personally, I have one black dress, and it's for funerals.  

Honestly it just started because I realized I already own at least 4 tops that are very thin & stretchy knits - you know the type you can crumple into a tiny ball and they don't wrinkle? and I own lightweight black and white capris already. So I started with "stuff I own that packs well" but now I'm hunting for matching pieces on Poshmark and this may be a problem for my bargain hunting obsession, lol