Women - how many/what kind of cardigans/shrugs/wraps/coverups do you bring?

pookel

11 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

This isn't about packing, but -- OP, since it's your first cruise, you may not know -- you'll have a clothesline in the shower where you can dry your swimsuit.  

Not on all ships

9 hours ago, pookel said:

Oh, just by way of explanation, some of the cardigans I'm talking about are like this one - very lightweight and packable and not warm at all:

image.png.10a87a3f0cb3171da22a628836f83d11.png

Ah, I’d call that a ruana or topper, it’s not a sweater, those are perfect 

9 hours ago, pookel said:

This is probably doable if you're good at coordinating outfits, but I am frankly really bad at it, so a simpler theme is probably necessary so I don't end up with a suitcase full of tops and bottoms I can't manage to put a single outfit together out of. If everything matches everything else, I can't possibly go wrong, right? 

I do a color palette (normally black, white & cobalt blue or hot pink) & every piece goes with at least 2-3 other pieces. Staying with black bottoms, shirts, capris, crops, slacks makes everything easier

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pookel said:

Oh, just by way of explanation, some of the cardigans I'm talking about are like this one - very lightweight and packable and not warm at all:

image.png.10a87a3f0cb3171da22a628836f83d11.png

Oh.  That's not what I was thinking at all.  In my mind, the picture below is a cardigan -- a sweater that gives real warmth /takes real space in the suitcase.  I have a ton of them in a variety of colors because I live in the Carolinas and just retired from teaching.  I have about a dozen simple Land's End dresses -- sleeveless or short sleeved -- that I wear in spring "as is" and in winter covered with a cardigan.

905550718_Screenshot2022-12-0210_21_10AM.png.c202de85532ce8db2455486fb83516b3.png

What you're picturing, I'd term an accessory more than an article of clothing.  Now my opinion is changing a bit.  I still wouldn't bring more than one in black.  

Anyway, OP, I think your dress game is strong -- and well thought out with your personal choice to wear the bike shorts under.  The dresses will be worn indoors /won't really get dirty /can be worn multiple times.  Also, I think your shorts /tops idea is good -- though I'd personally ditch the capris and leggings for additional shorts.  I'd add a nightgown because you're relying on those poor bike shorts to "work" day and night.  And I'd think about one gym-outfit -- like yoga pants and a sloppy tee -- for wearing around the room after a shower or walking down to the Promenade to get a drink to take back to the room.  

Overall, you're off to a very good start.  

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

I do a color palette (normally black, white & cobalt blue or hot pink) & every piece goes with at least 2-3 other pieces. Staying with black bottoms, shirts, capris, crops, slacks makes everything easier

That's not unlike what I do:  I pick my bottoms first, then I pick 2-3 tops to match each bottom.  I think of each "set" as a "pod", but I don't make any attempt to coordinate between pods.  I usually bring white slip-on Keds or Vans, which will go with everything ... and simple brown walking sandals that match everything.  Those two pair of shoes are my daytime workhorses.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Oh.  That's not what I was thinking at all.  In my mind, the picture below is a cardigan -- a sweater that gives real warmth /takes real space in the suitcase.  I have a ton of them in a variety of colors because I live in the Carolinas and just retired from teaching.  I have about a dozen simple Land's End dresses -- sleeveless or short sleeved -- that I wear in spring "as is" and in winter covered with a cardigan. 

Yeah it's a bit difficult to explain because I have every type of open-front .... cardigan/topper/duster/cover/shawl thing.

I have 2-3 that are full, thick sweaters (def. not bringing these!), and then several more that are thin/lightweight sweaters (will bring just 1), and then a couple that are like T-shirt material so more of an overshirt (deciding between both black and white or just one) and then some of the type that are basically just a lace shawl with sleeves like I mentioned above. 

I'm resisting the urge to take a picture of every single item I'm bringing and lay them all out next to each other for extra planning! 😄

• Haha 1

PS I'm appreciating all the suggestions! I think I might add one T-shirt and lounge pants that can work for pajamas (I don't do nightgowns) or for just lounging around the room.

I'm going to be attempting to fit everything into one carry-on plus one backpack though, so we'll see. 

• Like 2

Looks like you are getting lots of various suggestions.  We are all different individuals, that is for sure.

Example, for sleep wear? I like cotton and never sleep in a gown. I prefer a top/capri set. 

Something like this:

Petite Croft & Barrow® Short Sleeve Pajama Top & Capri Pajama Pants Sleep Set

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Looks like you are getting lots of various suggestions.  We are all different individuals, that is for sure.

Example, for sleep wear? I like cotton and never sleep in a gown. I prefer a top/capri set. 

Something like this:

Petite Croft & Barrow® Short Sleeve Pajama Top & Capri Pajama Pants Sleep Set

Soma has a nice sale going on these, so comfy

10 hours ago, pookel said:

I have 2-3 that are full, thick sweaters (def. not bringing these!), and then several more that are thin/lightweight sweaters (will bring just 1), and then a couple that are like T-shirt material so more of an overshirt (deciding between both black and white or just one)

For a 26-day transAtlantic/Mediterranean, I took one each of these: a coral-n-bright-border THICK cardigan that took the place of a blazer, a teal merino mid-weight cardigan that went with everything, and a tissue-weight black wrap for evenings. I wore the thick one to and from the cruise bc so thick.

10 hours ago, pookel said:

I'm resisting the urge to take a picture of every single item I'm bringing and lay them all out next to each other for extra planning! 😄

Where's the sport in that???

On 12/1/2022 at 10:36 AM, pookel said:

We are flying from ND to Newark the night before and then making our way over to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal in the morning, so yeah, I think I need a coat 🙂  It's a lightweight puffer coat from Columbia so hopefully it won't be too bad carrying it around. (But I definitely want something midweight for the cruise because it's probably overkill once we're on the ship).

Also it's pretty normal with the little planes between Bismarck and Denver to have to get off the plane through stairs out on the runway and then walk over to the terminal. It might be as cold as -30F in ND in January, so I wouldn't want to risk going without my coat even for just a few hundred feet.

I've been out and about in WY and UT and Calgary when it's been below zero.  I used to work outside with Lift Ops at a ski resort.  I remember -22 in Jackson WY and I didn't put my coat on to go from the bus into the convenience store.  I was out shoveling my driveway this morning in single digits with just a sleeveless sweatshirt over my turtleneck.  I'm OK in cold.  We're each different!

• Like 2

Funny how everyone feels temps differently.  For most of my adult life I have lived in warmer climates.  In the summer I keep the air at 75-77.  In the winter I keep the heat at 71-73.  To take the dogs out in the morning:

60s wear a hoodie

50s wear a coat and hat

40s wear a heavy coat, hat and gloves

30s wear a heavy coat, hat, gloves and scarf

20s - nope not going out.  If I have to go someplace and be out for awhile I will wear long undies under my clothes.  

I always have a sweater in the car in the summer because restaurants keep the temps at subzero.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Keksie said:

Funny how everyone feels temps differently.  For most of my adult life I have lived in warmer climates.  In the summer I keep the air at 75-77.  In the winter I keep the heat at 71-73.  To take the dogs out in the morning:

60s wear a hoodie

50s wear a coat and hat

40s wear a heavy coat, hat and gloves

30s wear a heavy coat, hat, gloves and scarf

20s - nope not going out.  If I have to go someplace and be out for awhile I will wear long undies under my clothes.  

I always have a sweater in the car in the summer because restaurants keep the temps at subzero.  

Yes this is so funny to me! We keep the house at 71 year-round. For me, taking dogs out in the morning:

70s shorts

60s long pants 

50s light jacket 

40s sweater or hoodie 

30s warm hoodie

20s actual coat and hat and gloves

10s start adding more underlayers 

0 and below they can run in the yard because I'm NOT taking them on walks lol. 

BUT this is North Dakota weather - dry and sunny. I can't handle the cold nearly as well if there's rain/wind/clouds. 

Edited by pookel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/2/2022 at 10:41 AM, pookel said:

... I don't do nightgowns ... 

Whereas I don't do PJs.  Well, that's not true:  sometimes I wear them around as "in house lounge wear", but I can't stand to have anything around my legs while sleeping.  I can't stand to wear socks while I sleep either.  

On 12/2/2022 at 10:24 PM, slidergirl said:

I've been out and about in WY and UT and Calgary when it's been below zero.  I used to work outside with Lift Ops at a ski resort.  I remember -22 in Jackson WY and I didn't put my coat on to go from the bus into the convenience store.  I was out shoveling my driveway this morning in single digits with just a sleeveless sweatshirt over my turtleneck.  I'm OK in cold.  We're each different!

Burrr, I'm cold just reading this.  My family's been on the same plot of very Southern land since before America was America.  Our blood is thin, and we can't take the cold.  We think it's AWFUL TERRIBLE COLD when the temperature dips into the teens.  

We have to fly to cruise, so I wear a hoodie or track jacket on the plane. I brought a slightly cropped jean jacket on the last two cruises thinking I would wear it in the evenings but only wore it once to a show at the main theater. I think one option that works with everything (or most things) makes it easier to pack. 4 is overkill IMO.

pjs? Not usually, or just a cute set with a spaghetti strap tank top and short-shorts.

Edited by TwinMamainMN
Added comment

On 11/30/2022 at 7:35 PM, pookel said:

I am looking at this sort of style fwiw

image.png.330aa8ba8fc03321e9cd24bdded176d7.png

I bought quite a few of these in various lengths.  They only weigh an ounce or so, don’t wrinkle and take no space.  I look forward to using them in South and Central America just to keep the air conditioning at bay while in the MDR. I live in a not climate and they really do the trick

On 12/2/2022 at 9:24 PM, slidergirl said:

I moved off of the gulf coast just to enjoy the cold of winter.  Much too much is made of living where it is warm year round.  I find the first cold day of the season a challenge.   I am never moving back to the Deep South.  Love the winter .  My favorite cruises are heading as far north as possible in the summer 

Edited by Mary229

I'm so glad you posted this thread! I'm on a January cruise out of NY too and have been having the same quandary about what to pack. It's also my first cruise, so it's a bit of a challenge figuring out what I'll need. We're either on the same cruise, or one very similar, as mine is also going to Bermuda/Bahamas and I just booked the transfer to Disney for the day we're in Port Canaveral. I can't start serious planning until I'm done with finals next week, but I'm definitely bookmarking this thread for reference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antimony said:

I'm on a January cruise out of NY too and have been having the same quandary about what to pack. It's also my first cruise, so it's a bit of a challenge figuring out what I'll need. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic and good luck with your finals!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Antimony said:

I'm so glad you posted this thread! I'm on a January cruise out of NY too and have been having the same quandary about what to pack. It's also my first cruise, so it's a bit of a challenge figuring out what I'll need. We're either on the same cruise, or one very similar, as mine is also going to Bermuda/Bahamas and I just booked the transfer to Disney for the day we're in Port Canaveral. I can't start serious planning until I'm done with finals next week, but I'm definitely bookmarking this thread for reference.

Is it January 16 out of NYC on the Norwegian Gem?? That's my cruise & we have a roll call for it here too. 

On 12/6/2022 at 3:33 PM, Mary229 said:

... They only weigh an ounce or so, don’t wrinkle and take no space ... 

Thing is, these things that "take no space" can add up to real space.  Lay them all out and be realistic about what you'll really want to use.  

On 12/6/2022 at 3:40 PM, Mary229 said:

I moved off of the gulf coast just to enjoy the cold of winter.  Much too much is made of living where it is warm year round.  I find the first cold day of the season a challenge.   I am never moving back to the Deep South.  Love the winter .  My favorite cruises are heading as far north as possible in the summer 

Oh, my, we are very different people!  

23 hours ago, Antimony said:

I'm so glad you posted this thread! I'm on a January cruise out of NY ...

So clearly you'll need warm clothing to get you to the cruise.  

I just returned from a cruise (early December).  I was up around 7:00 each  morning, and the air was a little chilly -- not cold, barely even brisk.  I hate-hate cold, and I was find in shorts, but some people were wearing sweats and hoodies out on deck.  By 9:00-10:00 things warmed up and most everyone was in shorts.  At Cocoa Cay loads of people were in the water; the consensus seemed to be:  It's chilly when you first get in, but after a few minutes, it's perfect.  Evenings were quite comfortable, even out on deck and in the Theater; I never wore any type of jacket (or even long sleeves).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pookel said:

Is it January 16 out of NYC on the Norwegian Gem?? That's my cruise & we have a roll call for it here too. 

No, I'm on the January 2 out of NYC on the Gem. I would have preferred the 16th sailing, but unfortunately my next semester starts on the 19th. I hope you have a wonderful time!

On 12/7/2022 at 9:51 PM, Antimony said:

You will have, at most 3 hours at Disney. It’s really better done as a separate trip. You need a lot more time for Disney or it’s really a waste of money 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Antimony said:

No, I'm on the January 2 out of NYC on the Gem. I would have preferred the 16th sailing, but unfortunately my next semester starts on the 19th. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Have fun!! 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:32 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

Thing is, these things that "take no space" can add up to real space.  Lay them all out and be realistic about what you'll really want to use.  

The items I mentioned, once rolled together would easily fit into a single tennis shoe.  That is not too much to bring.  I guess I should mention I only do very long cruises, no 7 day journeys for me

On 12/9/2022 at 5:30 AM, awhfy said:

You will have, at most 3 hours at Disney. It’s really better done as a separate trip. You need a lot more time for Disney or it’s really a waste of money 

Agree.  You'll spend more time driving and getting into the parks as you will IN the parks, especially if you're going into the Magic Kingdom.  And a single day's ticket is about $100 these days.  Definitely not a great use of time or money. 

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The items I mentioned, once rolled together would easily fit into a single tennis shoe.  That is not too much to bring.  I guess I should mention I only do very long cruises, no 7 day journeys for me

Admittedly, I don't own these things, but I'm having trouble imagining 4 wraps fitting into a single tennis shoe.