When does purchasing a Cheers package become economical?

BarbieGee

On 12/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, cindysu said:

I haven't read all the notes, but one thing I haven't seen listed is the price per drink at the end of  a cruise.  The check out bill with all those pages will only list a drink and where you got it, not what the drink was if you have the cheers package.  On our last cruise (6 days to Bermuda in September) it came out to $7.80 p/drink.  For water, expensive, sure.  A little on the high side for coffees and sodas.  But a great price for all the boozy drinks especially when you realize that includes a 20% tip.  In fact, each drink more would have only lowered our cost by .10 at that point.  Maybe this doesn't help but it's a different way of looking at it.  

There are places online you can buy Carnival gift cards at a discount so that helps too.  

Maybe the ship wasn't so busy but we had GREAT service by having the cheers package.  Glasses of wine waiting for us at dinner, bottled water handed out at every order, tons of olives in the martinis, refills without asking, etc. 

When I was looking in September to decide whether to buy the cheers package, unknown to me drink prices had gone up at least .50 per drink from May, our last cruise so that also helped.   No beers were ordered, mostly wine, boat drinks and martinis.  

How did it include a 20% tip?  When you purchase drinks individually, the added grat is 18% of the cost of each drink.  

On 12/5/2022 at 9:16 PM, Joebucks said:

My position was the majority of couples aren't doing 70 Alchemy drinks in a week. You went on to support an elevated number of 90+ Alchemy drinks. What a wild turn on the discussion of economical feasibility for someone who might have 4 drinks per day. I guess it's up to each person to decide what is a true fantasy world. I never stated it doesn't work for anyone.

What is your point about the bars being busy? What isn't busy on the ship? As a fairly heavy drinker myself, I too see a lot of things on my end. That first night and first sea day are vastly different than the second port day and 6th night. The proponents pretend each day (for each person) is like that first sea day. It's exhausting. I've seen everyone I've cruised with get to that exhausted point. That was even on 4 day cruises, let alone 7. There's plenty of people that admit they don't even drink enough with it. They do it because it makes them feel a certain way.

What some may see as penny pinching some see differently. Unlimited alcohol plans aren't the center of the universe. The drinks are loaded with sugar, and are very weak. Port days are also heavily defended as "I can still drink a lot" when that's only part of the point. Does one limit themself for enjoyment in the port, beach, bar, etc. because you've already tied yourself to a huge plan, or do you buy yet even more alcohol?

It's like my Mexico trip I just got back from. Their AIs are an experience a lot of people love. Many just don't know better. I spent no more than $650 for my entire 4 night trip (airfare, oceanview hotel, food, drinks, entertainment). The obsession is "I'm on vacation and I'm scared of bills." Then people give me a deer in the headlights look when I tell them there are plenty of ways to enjoy myself with what I want, for nothing. Beers in Mexico are about $1 at every corner. I had plenty of those in my last cruise. When I got back to port, I was in no position to drink 6 drinks on the ship for the sake of this grand plan.

There is no difference in the alcohol content of a drink under CHEERS or charged to your S&S.  Most drinks are made before they take your card.   Bartenders just punch in your folio, enter the drink and hand you the receipt to sign.  They barely glance at the total which would be the only thing that indicate you are on CHEERS. They are indeed side glancing to see if you wrote in a additional tip.  

Last cruise our chees package had paid for itself by midday on day 4 of 7. We did not change our normal vacation behavior to "maximize ", just got what we wanted, when we wanted.  Definitely worth it! 

That being said it isn't worth it for everyone. If you don't have multiple alcoholic drinks a day it probably won't work out for you. It really depends on what an how you drink. We enjoy cocktails, drink sodas, and like to have bottled water in our room. Someone who will just have a couple of beers by the pool likely won't get the same value. 

• Like 1

To the OP, you certainly have put a new spin on the age old question that has been debated ad nauseam multiple times over the years on the Carnival boards.

Cheers is only worth it for the above average drinker or for the average drinker that also utilizes the non alcoholic options of the package.  A moderate drinker doesn't make out with Cheers, let alone the teetotalers that love to throw their two cents into the mix.

The tipping point that it becomes economical only kicks in when you save a good amount of money versus buying a la carte.  Only you can determine where that point is.

• Like 1

When wifey and I are on Carnival cruises Cheers is a definite MUST.  When we price our cruises we include Cheers as part of our cruise cost.  We get our money's worth probably twice over.  My drinking alone more than covers us for Cheers for the week (especially the first day onboard and the sea day that usually immediately follows).  And we never feel drunk because we pace ourselves and stay hydrated (we don't just sit around taking shots back to back)!  It's all about your drink tolerance and vacation habits.  Some people are light drinkers (which is not a slight on anyone) so they can't fathom how someone can average 10 drinks a day and still function.  Trust me, it ain't that hard at all if your drink tolerance is high.

It varies from couple to couple.  Only you can make that choice for yourself.  

Edited by vacruisin
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 8:51 AM, BarbieGee said:

I nor my cabin partner are big drinkers but on a cruise one likes to have a fancy cocktail a few times per day. If we each had 4 drinks per day per person would that justify purchasing a Cheers package?

I understand that specialty coffees are not included in this package. Am I correct?

Check your cruise rates. They are offering Cheers on us again. For me it was a $70 difference for the cruise, so very economical for us.

As I peruse these boards, reading posts about "live" cruisers (very informative AND fun!) the Cheers package comes into the light. The amount of theme bars on board the ships are many and the inventiveness of the drinks are phenomenal. Which leads me to the conclusion: Booze is a money maker. Well, that's a given. But then there are the other drinks; coffees, juice and water. From what I've read here in CC, the coffee served on the buffet and in the MDR is marginal in it's quality. Is this planned? I've read where some cruisers bring their own instant coffee! Is Carnival steering its passengers towards the Cheers package by making anything (free) you drink marginal? Would one drink water from the tap in ones bathroom? What drinks are without a coast in the Lido buffet? Hot water? Coffee? It does disturb me that WATER is for sale. That's a basic need.
On some of the larger ships I've counted up to 8 bars!

36 minutes ago, BarbieGee said:

As I peruse these boards, reading posts about "live" cruisers (very informative AND fun!) the Cheers package comes into the light. The amount of theme bars on board the ships are many and the inventiveness of the drinks are phenomenal. Which leads me to the conclusion: Booze is a money maker. Well, that's a given. But then there are the other drinks; coffees, juice and water. From what I've read here in CC, the coffee served on the buffet and in the MDR is marginal in it's quality. Is this planned? I've read where some cruisers bring their own instant coffee! Is Carnival steering its passengers towards the Cheers package by making anything (free) you drink marginal? Would one drink water from the tap in ones bathroom? What drinks are without a coast in the Lido buffet? Hot water? Coffee? It does disturb me that WATER is for sale. That's a basic need.

I have refilled my Carnival tumbler (using the plastic cup at the drink station) with water and ice.  I also get a 12 pack of waters for the room (if we don't do Cheers) for convenience and hydration (gotta balance out those Alchemy drinks). I like Cheers but last cruise didn't have it and we did fine.  It's just a fun perk, like others have said and I include it in my cruise cost, like a cabana on HMC of Princess Cay.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

There is no difference in the alcohol content of a drink under CHEERS or charged to your S&S.  Most drinks are made before they take your card.   Bartenders just punch in your folio, enter the drink and hand you the receipt to sign.  They barely glance at the total which would be the only thing that indicate you are on CHEERS. They are indeed side glancing to see if you wrote in a additional tip.  

My point was more along the lines of the drinks being weak, period. Any "included" drinks are notorious for cheap liquors, weak pours, and high sugar fillers. I've done Cheers, multiple times. Hit 15 drinks, multiple times. Felt like garbage without much of a buzz, multiple times. Too many of those sugary drinks are brutal and not needed to enjoy myself. Although my drink of choice is bourbon on the rocks. Those bourbon pours are piddly. 

It all reminds me of the fast food / convenient store strategy of "every size drink the same price." Then everyone jumps on the large because this deal is too good to pass up. Then maybe you do or don't drink it. Often feeling like garbage if you do. In the end, the house won by creating a value perception with marketing tricks. 

My last cruise, I brought wine, bought ($1) beers in port, room bottle, thirsty frog beers in the cabin (for a morning balcony beer!), and a few cocktails when I wanted them (margarita here, old fashioned there). I didn't break $250 on all drinks that trip, if that, and I don't feel like I deprived myself one bit. Not to mention the other half didn't break $30 and loves specialty coffee.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

My point was more along the lines of the drinks being weak, period. Any "included" drinks are notorious for cheap liquors, weak pours, and high sugar fillers. I've done Cheers, multiple times. Hit 15 drinks, multiple times. Felt like garbage without much of a buzz, multiple times. Too many of those sugary drinks are brutal and not needed to enjoy myself. Although my drink of choice is bourbon on the rocks. Those bourbon pours are piddly.

Little confused here.  You mention that you have cheap liquors, weak pours, and high sugar fillers, yet your drink of choice is bourbon on the rocks, which is the antithesis of what you mentioned unless you have a bad bartender at pig n anchor since that is where you get the best bourbon selection on board.

It's obvious that getting a bottle for your cabin and supplementing it with cheap beers ashore and your wine bottle carry on is your game plan.  For us, it's primarily drinking at Alchemy on a daily basis, where they don't have weak pours or cheap liquors and supplementing it with a spicy bloody at P&A and the occasional daytime drinks at The Watering Hole.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It all reminds me of the fast food / convenient store strategy of "every size drink the same price." Then everyone jumps on the large because this deal is too good to pass up. Then maybe you do or don't drink it. Often feeling like garbage if you do. In the end, the house won by creating a value perception with marketing tricks. 

My last cruise, I brought wine, bought ($1) beers in port, room bottle, thirsty frog beers in the cabin (for a morning balcony beer!), and a few cocktails when I wanted them (margarita here, old fashioned there). I didn't break $250 on all drinks that trip, if that, and I don't feel like I deprived myself one bit. Not to mention the other half didn't break $30 and loves specialty coffee.

Wow you are describing me in that first part! I can DRINK, but I pour heavy and that's what I'm looking for. When I'm with friends are family and they like to order the big pretty daiquiris and margaritas I don't even bother. Every now and then (like every few years) I get suckered in to getting something, and like you said, I'm so full and don't even have a buzz. They're ready for a second and I feel like I'd bust if I tried. Forget a fishbowl margarita with an extra shot, give me a screwdriver with an extra shot lol.

Just say no to slurpees! Make that, just say no to big gulp sized slurpees (masquerading as cocktails)!

11 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Two shots are standard in most Carnival signature drinks.  

15 hours ago, BarbieGee said:

I do not like the coffee at the buffet, however, on my last cruise, I discovered they had a machine that made americanos in the buffet.  I didn't want to wait in the coffee shop line and got that instead.  I ended up just getting that most days. 

Water is free in the buffet.  There is an ice machine as well. I drank it on my last cruise and it was fine.  I just never remember to bring something to carry it in and it's convenient to grab a bottle of water when ordering a drink at the bar.  Plus I like sparkling water too.  I believe there is usually iced tea too.  In the morning there are juices.  Hot water, tea, coffee.  

7 hours ago, MsOne said:

Wow you are describing me in that first part! I can DRINK, but I pour heavy and that's what I'm looking for. When I'm with friends are family and they like to order the big pretty daiquiris and margaritas I don't even bother. Every now and then (like every few years) I get suckered in to getting something, and like you said, I'm so full and don't even have a buzz. They're ready for a second and I feel like I'd bust if I tried. Forget a fishbowl margarita with an extra shot, give me a screwdriver with an extra shot lol.

Just say no to slurpees! Make that, just say no to big gulp sized slurpees (masquerading as cocktails)!

Yup!  The high sugar drinks like Miami Vice are delish but fill me up and make my head hurt more.  I find my day drink of Aperol Spritzes keep me refreshed without the negative after effects.  

2 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

The result??

🍷🍸🍹🍾🥂🍷🍹🍸🍾🍷🍺🍷

Cost paying per drink: $543
Cost of drink package: $383

Buying a drink package would save you $160 compared to buying drinks individually.

• Like 3

Interesting, at first I was of the mind set that there’s nothing to be proud of if your slamming back 15 alcoholic drinks a day for 7 days straight. BUT when I used the calculator and I was being modest with 2 speciality coffees, 3 beers, a glass of wine and 2 bottles of water, the cheers package still came out ahead. So definitely use the calculator! 

• Like 2

On 12/4/2022 at 12:42 PM, Joebucks said:

If you enjoy it, there's nothing wrong with you. Saying it is economical, that is a different story.

This is exactly it. My husband and I did a B2B of an 8 day and then a 6 day. For the 8 day, we bought Cheers before the price increase last spring. I knew he would worry about the economics of it, so I gave him the approach above. It was all paid for, no thought involved and just have fun with it. However, I for one knew that after 8 days of cheers I would have no interest in drinking the next week. So the deal was that he could still get whatever h3 wanted and I would get probably 5 or 6 drinks all week. 

We more than got “our money’s worth” that first week but as it turned out, he got strep the second week so we were both EXTRA happy that we didn’t have it. 

In Feb I am taking our newly 21 yo on a cruise for his birthday. Everyone assumes we are getting Cheers. Nope. I’m not going to be encouraging my kid who has no experience with alcohol (his birthday was in the beginning of November and he has had one drink total) to drink 5+ drinks daily. Now, unlimited Pepsi? Sign him up!! Lol. I’ll be bringing on my 12 pack of Coke and a bottle of moscato. 

3 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Yup!  The high sugar drinks like Miami Vice are delish but fill me up and make my head hurt more.  I find my day drink of Aperol Spritzes keep me refreshed without the negative after effects.  

My drink I love is the Serenity Spritz. Maybe that’s what it’s called. Basically, it’s a Fuzzy Navel with club soda. Last cruise I figured out that if I order it that way, I can get it at any bar on board. Score! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Interesting, at first I was of the mind set that there’s nothing to be proud of if your slamming back 15 alcoholic drinks a day for 7 days straight. BUT when I used the calculator and I was being modest with 2 speciality coffees, 3 beers, a glass of wine and 2 bottles of water, the cheers package still came out ahead. So definitely use the calculator! 

Hi @JustAPilot🙂

Are you certain you used the drink calculator correctly for a 7 day sailing? I put into the calculator the drinks you stated & came out with these results (below). Drink package is costing you $166 more.

20221215-130800.jpg

Drink Package Calculator located @:

https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Wine is one of the best uses of cheers, I have also noticed the other drinks can be hit/miss depending on who/how they are made. Too much sugar is bloating, too much beer is bloating, the mix drinks can be weaksauce (though also awesome with the right bartender and some motivation lol) but wine is a solid choice that gets the job done, keeps the bloat down and Carnival actually includes some good ones by the glass. They really need to improve the cruise the vineyards packages, the cheaper one has swill and the more expensive one isn't good enough quality. It's an area for mass improvement and potential huge sales increases if revamped.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Hi @JustAPilot🙂

Are you certain you used the drink calculator correctly for a 7 day sailing? I put into the calculator the drinks you stated & came out with these results (below). Drink package is costing you $166 more.

20221215-130800.jpg

Drink Package Calculator located @:

https://cruisespotlight.com/drink-package-calculator/

And it's basically hate speech if I say bring bottles of wine and drink water from the tap. 

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Wine is one of the best uses of cheers, I have also noticed the other drinks can be hit/miss depending on who/how they are made. Too much sugar is bloating, too much beer is bloating, the mix drinks can be weaksauce (though also awesome with the right bartender and some motivation lol) but wine is a solid choice that gets the job done, keeps the bloat down and Carnival actually includes some good ones by the glass. They really need to improve the cruise the vineyards packages, the cheaper one has swill and the more expensive one isn't good enough quality. It's an area for mass improvement and potential huge sales increases if revamped.   

I can't say I'm too well-versed in Carnival's wine selection. I vaguely remember layer cake being the most expensive wine in the MDR. It's not more than $13 a bottle. I'm sure the steakhouse has a solid selection. I can't do too much wine either lol. The two bottles I can bring are plenty of wine for the trip, and if I so choose, buying more glasses isn't the end. 

44 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

And it's basically hate speech if I say bring bottles of wine and drink water from the tap. 

Why did you quote me???? You clearly quoted the wrong person. I made no mention at all in regards to water & wine.

I asked a member if they were certain that they used the drink package calculator correctly & I showed them the correct information based on their statement.

• Like 1