What happens if your NCL booked flight doesn't get you to the departure port on time?

akumal434

I booked our flight using buy one get one NCL airfare sale.  NCL booked a connecting flight for the way to Tampa.  Just curious what happens if the scheduled flights are late/cancelled and you can't get to the port in time for the ship departure?

I was surprised to see connecting flights in December from O'hare.  Seems a lot could go wrong with the current air/flight cancellations and delays.

Edited by akumal434

• akumal434 changed the title to What happens if your NCL booked flight doesn't get you to the departure port on time?

You are Screwed. My kids used that promo to fly to a Thanksgiving cruise  last year to fly from Atlanta to a cruise that left out of Miami. Bad weather cancelled their flight. NCL would not put them on another flight until the next day arriving after the ship left! They got in their car and drove all night. Trying to get re-imbursed was a nightmare. The airline bounced it to NCL who bounced it back to American . Finally the insurance paid them half even though they couldn't fly back after the cruise because they had their car in Miami. Their decision ( and we all cruise a lot) was NEVER again to book through NCL. You get what you pay for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Read this thread:

This isn't the only one I've read on these boards with people not making the ship when using NCL air.  We originally had it for our upcoming cruise out of New Orleans, but ended up canceling and buying our own.  We paid about $100 more, but we have the peace of mind of owning our own reservation.

• Like 3

We used NCL air last year and once we got our tickets, we DID "own" the reservation. From that point forward, we worked with American and had no problems.

To the OP: My understanding is that if you're late and miss embarkation, NCL will pay to fly you to the first port of call. (In the example cited above, there were 2 days at sea first, so the author of that post would have had to wait 3 days to get there.)

Edited by DCGuy64
added context

22 hours ago, akumal434 said:

I booked our flight using buy one get one NCL airfare sale.  NCL booked a connecting flight for the way to Tampa.  Just curious what happens if the scheduled flights are late/cancelled and you can't get to the port in time for the ship departure?

I was surprised to see connecting flights in December from O'hare.  Seems a lot could go wrong with the current air/flight cancellations and delays.

NCL will rebook you to next port. 

In April, there were bad storms over Orlando which screwed up flights to sunny Miami. Over 700 missed our ship’s departure. Some dared to catch up on day 3 in the Dominican Republic. Some on Day 4 in St Thomas. 

The large number of non-closed loop passengers screwed up disembarkation for everyone since the latecomers had to go through full CBP arrival processing before any closed loop passengers were allowed to disembark. 

I have no idea and I won't ever find out.  While there are many disagreements on an internet forum, there is largely consensus agreement on this sub-forum.  Don't use NCL air and always book your own flight in at least one day prior to the cruise.  There is likely still a minority that will ignore this.....at their own risk.  I let NCL book my flights on my very first cruise.  I made the ship (very late) and our flight home got us here after the sun came up the next morning.  Never again.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I have no idea and I won't ever find out.  While there are many disagreements on an internet forum, there is largely consensus agreement on this sub-forum.  Don't use NCL air and always book your own flight in at least one day prior to the cruise.  There is likely still a minority that will ignore this.....at their own risk.  I let NCL book my flights on my very first cruise.  I made the ship (very late) and our flight home got us here after the sun came up the next morning.  Never again.

Arriving early yes, but I don't think there is a consensus on using NCL air in general.  I have seen many people on here who were quite satisfied with the NCL air arrangements, especially considering the cost savings.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'm ignoring it! March, I'm trusting NCL to get me to Miami from Syracuse. No direct flights and Chicago is on the possible menu of layovers. It's going to be a fun day before sailing....but we'll have just barely enough time to drive to Miami if we notice the flight won't make it on time. I can't wait for the good times and all the moaning I can do if our flight is canceled/delayed.

24 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Have you ever asked those on your cruise if they know about cruise critic.  You'd be surprised at how few have even heard about cruise critic.  You may have noticed that those complaining about flights through the cruise line have very few, if any, previous posts?

BTW, I used Holland to book my flights to Vancouver.  Worked very well.  But Holland let's you choose flights at the time of booking and allows you to cancel or rebook if better options become available.  I changed my flights three or four times to take advantage of pricing and flight time changes.  But Holland pricing varies by which flights/classes you choose.

Seems NCL requires payment well before your flight schedule is known.  No way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you ever asked those on your cruise if they know about cruise critic.  You'd be surprised at how few have even heard about cruise critic.  You may have noticed that those complaining about flights through the cruise line have very few, if any, previous posts?

BTW, I used Holland to book my flights to Vancouver.  Worked very well.  But Holland let's you choose flights at the time of booking and allows you to cancel or rebook if better options become available.  I changed my flights three or four times to take advantage of pricing and flight time changes.  But Holland pricing varies by which flights/classes you choose.

I believe that NCL has a similar option to what you got from Holland, but it's not the Free at Sea BOGO air that is usually discussed here.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You and I agree on a great deal, including this. Sometimes, users of a particular forum develop the sense that they represent the vast majority of people who own a particular product or use a particular service. I have seen this a lot on social media. The vast majority of people I have talked with on cruises have never even heard of Cruise Critic, therefore even if it's true that there's some sort of consensus over NCL Air on here, that applies to only the tiny fraction of all people who cruise. I suspect if I conducted a poll on board about people's satisfaction with this service, the results would be eye-opening.

7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

For some reason, I have a vague memory that someone here on CC mentioned that only something like 5% of cruise passengers use CruiseCritic.  Regardless of the accuracy of that figure, it's doubtless a very small minority of "all cruise passengers", and that's unfortunate.  OTOH, some people enjoy planning, some don't mind, and some seem to be vaguely allergic to the concept. 😉 

What it would be nice if NCL did is if they emphasized there is a choice to fly in at least one day in advance, or to specify your flights so at least there's not a really short connection.  Yes, it costs extra.  Some people won't be interested, but some others might be, IF they only knew of the possibility... before they encountered either a lot of worry, a close call, or flat out missing the sailing...

We were very fortunate to discover CC before our first "recent" cruise in 2013.  How I discovered CC is lost to history, but I do like to plan, so I no doubt started searching for cruises again online, and saw lots of possible resources besides just the specific cruise lines.

AND... we learned about travel insurance here on CC, and *good thing*!  We had a medical emergency a few days before planned departure, and our rather expensive cruise was totally cancelled with 100% penalty.  But we had learned about TripInsuranceStore here, and bottom line, at least we got every cent back. 😀

(It was somewhat comforting during that medical stress to be able to mumble to each other, "At least we won't have to pay for the cruise a *second* time!!"  I seriously think we may have not taken any more "special trips" had we not had that insurance.  Thank goodness!!)

It's obviously impossible for "new cruisers" or "new any-activity" to know "all the choices possible", but it just seems the cruise line could avoid upsets, and also time wasted when upset passengers call with an air problem on "day of", etc.

GC

5 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

You and I agree on a great deal, including this. Sometimes, users of a particular forum develop the sense that they represent the vast majority of people who own a particular product or use a particular service. I have seen this a lot on social media. The vast majority of people I have talked with on cruises have never even heard of Cruise Critic, therefore even if it's true that there's some sort of consensus over NCL Air on here, that applies to only the tiny fraction of all people who cruise. I suspect if I conducted a poll on board about people's satisfaction with this service, the results would be eye-opening.

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

For some reason, I have a vague memory that someone here on CC mentioned that only something like 5% of cruise passengers use CruiseCritic.  Regardless of the accuracy of that figure, it's doubtless a very small minority of "all cruise passengers", and that's unfortunate.  OTOH, some people enjoy planning, some don't mind, and some seem to be vaguely allergic to the concept. 😉 

What it would be nice if NCL did is if they emphasized there is a choice to fly in at least one day in advance, or to specify your flights so at least there's not a really short connection.  Yes, it costs extra.  Some people won't be interested, but some others might be, IF they only knew of the possibility... before they encountered either a lot of worry, a close call, or flat out missing the sailing...

It's obviously impossible for "new cruisers" or "new any-activity" to know "all the choices possible", but it just seems the cruise line could avoid upsets, and also time wasted when upset passengers call with an air problem on "day of", etc.

GC

I seem to recall that 5% number as well.

The problem is this:  all cruise lines try to entice as many passengers as possible and cut rate price is a great incentive therefore they don't emphasize the possible consequences of missing flights/departures.  Nor do they mention other more costly ways to fly.

A second issue is that many passengers haven't flown enough to be aware of how likely missed connections/cancellations can be.  It's not in cruise lines best interest to 'scare' potential customers with this information.  After all, the great majority of passengers arrive in time for their cruise.

But then, reports like OP's do not engender a lot of good will for the cruise lines.  One wonders if the cruise lines would benefit from more upfront information.

BTW, it's always a good idea to mention CC to any fellow passengers.  I have often received thanks from doing so.  I also talk about my great TA who saves me a lot of fares.

31 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you ever asked those on your cruise if they know about cruise critic.  You'd be surprised at how few have even heard about cruise critic. 

What does that have to do with anything?

31 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

You may have noticed that those complaining about flights through the cruise line have very few, if any, previous posts?

I have not.  I, like many others who have expressed concerns with NCL air, have many posts.  But again, what does that have to do with anything?

13 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The vast majority of people I have talked with on cruises have never even heard of Cruise Critic, therefore even if it's true that there's some sort of consensus over NCL Air on here, that applies to only the tiny fraction of all people who cruise.

Do you really quiz your fellow cruisers on the internet habits?  That seems odd.  When I cruise, I generally leave the internet behind.  That said, this sub-forum is the best resource I have for experienced NCL cruisers, and there are many valuable (experience based) opinions to be leveraged.  Sure, you and others can ignore them and just have NCL book those crappy flights that may (or may not) get you to the cruise and home in a reasonable timeframe.

16 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I suspect if I conducted a poll on board about people's satisfaction with this service, the results would be eye-opening.

I suspect not.  Why don't you do just that and share the results?

I can tell you exactly what they will do! Nothing.

Last July, we took a Baltic cruise and took advantage of the BOGO deal. Our flight was late leaving the US and then our flight to Copenhagen was cancelled. We arrived in Denmark about 30 minutes too late to be able to make the shuttle to the port.

We assumed NCL would help us get to the next port. Come to find out, they will not. We were told that it would be up to us to get to our next port in Germany and on our own dime. A 4-hour train ride and $400 later that we made it to Germany and got on the ship the next morning.

I will give NCL credit for how they treated us once we got on the ship as we also did not have any luggage (thank you, Air Canada). They gave us free, expedited laundry to wash what we had and the clothes we ended up buying as our luggage never made it to us while on the cruise. They also gave us a toiletry kit to get us through.

All this to say, NCL's BOGO air deal is a good deal...until it's not. We are booked for March 2023 and chose to try it again. However, we did a one-day deviation to provide a buffer in case of delays and we'll be carrying on a small bag of "just in case" clothes 🙂

20 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Consensus - doubtful. Human nature is to complain when things go wrong, remain silent when all is well.

I've done quite well so far, using NCL flights. No worries about refunds when covid cancelled my cruises. NCL rebooked my flights to Stockholm when SAS went on strike last summer. Cost savings for international flights has been tremendous, maybe not so much with domestic flights.

Will NCL wait or get you to the next port - that depends on the situation. But if you booked yourself you know they aren't gonna wait or help get you to the ship.

• Like 1

Last year, around this time, we had a front facing Haven suite booked on the Encore. We took advantage of the second guest free air promotion, but made the mistake of flying down the same day as the cruise. NCL booked us on an Air Transat fight out of Toronto that experienced mechanical problems and as a result we missed embarkation in Miami. As we were waiting in the terminal in Toronto for our plane to be fixed, I attempted to call NCL but when I called the NCL emergency air number,  I was transferred to a sales agent who had no clue what to do. He eventually gave me another number to call, wait for it, that connected me to another sales agent. I was stressed, frustrated and extremely upset. I also called my (former) travel agent who wanted nothing to do with my problem. We were eventually transferred over to the air department and were booked on a next day flight from Toronto to San Juan the first port on the eastern Caribbean itinerary. We incurred the cost of an overnight and meals in Toronto and an overnight and meals in San Juan. We did not have insurance. We eventually got on the ship and ended up having a great,  but abbreviated cruise. I contacted NCL after the cruise requesting some form of compensation but because we didn’t have insurance received nothing. I thought, at the very least,  they would reimburse the DSC for the two days that we were not on the ship, but they refused.  I was disappointed but fully understand that no insurance equals no compensation. I just feel that even a minor gesture of good will would have been nice,  given the fact that we primarily cruise in the Haven and have achieved Diamond latitudes status. 

On my last cruise there were 2 groups of passengers whose NCL booked flights didn’t make it in time for embarkation, one group still arrived on embarkation day so departure was delayed a couple of hours to let them make it to the ship. The other group hadn’t a hope of making embarkation so they got re-routed to our second port of call as there was no flight availability for the first port. They got 2 nights  hotel accommodation at that port while waiting for the ship to arrive (first cruise day was at sea).

the roll call before that cruise had folks all over the northern US changing flights or opting to drive to their connecting airports to avoid flight cancellations due to an incoming storm.

on my first cruise another guest travelling from Ireland was supposed to get to Miami the day before the cruise but the flight from Ireland to New York was delayed so he missed the connecting flight, luckily the airline got him to Miami the morning of embarkation so he made it to the ship on just 3hrs of sleep.  I’m in Ireland too but have been travelling to the USA semi regularly since ‘94 so I always plan to arrive a couple of days before my cruise. I nearly got scuppered on my return home after my first cruise when the airline had an IT meltdown, luckily I was at the airport early enough for them to get me the last seat on another airline’s flight that would make my connecting flight to Ireland possible.  I’ve seen pretty much all possible causes for flight delays at this stage.

I had a flight to New York delayed by 8hours because the originally scheduled pilot dropped a dumbbell on his head in the gym so we had to wait for the incoming pilot to have his mandatory 8hours rest before he could fly again. 

Edited by eileeshb
Typo

9 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

I had a flight to New York delayed by 8hours because the originally scheduled pilot dropped a dumbbell on his head in the gym so we had to wait for the incoming pilot to have his mandatory 8hours rest before he could fly again. 

I was flying on military charter returning from training in Korea.  We were almost to Alaska when the volcano erupted...