Ji Ji's Asian Kitchen Vs. Chibang

tx121

We will be cruising on the Horizon next month and we noticed a specialty restaurant called Ji Ji's. We have cruised on the Celebration and Mardi Gras and ate at Chibang which was a free option. Is the food quality the same at both restaurants? What is your favorite dish at Ji Jis? If it is the same quality, Im not sure if we will dine there for the extra cost as we didn't find the food in Chibang all that special. 

3 hours ago, balcony bound said:

There is simply no comparison.  JiJi's is head and shoulders above anything at Chibang.  My opinion.  Definitely worth the cost.

As an Asian American I would also agree. There's nothing wrong with the main Asian dishes at Chbang but JiJi's is better quality. TBH the Asian choices at Street Eats on the E-Class is better than Chibang. The Baos, Dumplings and Steamed Sticky Rice with chicken is the most authentic Chinese cuisine as you're going to get on a mass market mainstream American cruise line. 

This is why on E Class ships Chibang ,Cucina, and P&A will REMAIN complementary eating venues. First because the seating capacity is necessary and second if they ever did charge for those restaurants the menus would have to be revamped to match the rest of the fleets similar venues. The downgrading of the food items is KEY to seeing that they won't ever be a cover for them in it's present form.

• Like 4

If there's a JiJis onboard I'm eating there twice! Every single thing we have tried we liked. Only issue is that it is a lot of food and you will be stuffed before dessert.

I'm actually considering booking Panorama again before the new ships because the paid food options were so good. Seeing reviews and pics of the free food options on the new ships haven't really appealed to me.

Ate at JiJis for the first time on Horizon over Thanksgiving.  Great value and great food.  A LOT of food!  Essentially 3 courses.  The stand outs for us were the dumplings, kung pao, chicken, szechuan beef and prawn.  On a 6 day cruise we didn't go to MDR once.  In order of favorites-Teppenyaki, Steakhouse, JiJis, Pig and Anchor and Cucina.

• Like 1

Also, JiJi's is served family style... so each person orders an appetizer and main course, but they bring a plate of each with enough for 2 people (or more).  Tons of food and the best stuff.  We have been 3 times and it is our favorite Carnival restaurant.  

Here is the duck appetizer.

20221115_181558.jpg

Edited by ABQrobin
  • Like 1

It was on the Sunshine first and is very popular.   We were on the inaugural Sunshine cruise out of PC and it was DWs birthday cruise so they gave her a free dinner.  We were hooked and will always eat there when we sail those ships that have it.

To your point I am surprised that it is not a the Dream Class ships.

On 12/3/2022 at 12:00 PM, kwokpot said:

This is why on E Class ships Chibang ,Cucina, and P&A will REMAIN complementary eating venues. First because the seating capacity is necessary and second if they ever did charge for those restaurants the menus would have to be revamped to match the rest of the fleets similar venues. The downgrading of the food items is KEY to seeing that they won't ever be a cover for them in it's present form.

Your second point is nothing set in stone. It could be reversed tomorrow.

But I agree, I don't see them changing this. Carnival is better off using it as a perception of more options, and potentially commanding a higher fare. Your average cruiser might not be interested at paying $20 for dinner, but raise the fare $50 and include it, and it's the best deal ever.

My cruise-friends and I didn't try Chibang! for dinner on the Mardi Gras because of all the lackluster reviews here on CruiseCritic, but we've really loved Jiji's Asian Kitchen on the Vista and the Horizon.   (I kinda wish I'd gone...I mean, how bad could it possibly be?)  

However, I DID go to Chibang! for the free/included stir-fry bowl at lunch, and I thought it was at least as good as lunch at Jiji's has been.  Service was great and it was one of the best meals of the entire cruise for me...and on the Mardi Gras with all of its awesome options, THAT's sayin' something!   

[Full disclosure:  I'm a Mongolian Wok/stir-fry FIEND.  🙂 ]  

Another fan of JiJi here.  We ate there for the first time on our Vista cruise in May and it is the best meal I have ever had on Carnival.  My mom, who strongly dislikes Asian food and was skeptical of paying for specialty dining when MDR is included, even loved it and said it is the only Asian food she would ever eat!  So if it can convert those who dislike the entire cuisine, that speaks for itself! :classic_laugh: It really is that good and well worth the cost in my opinion.  We loved the duck appetizer, pepper steak, short ribs, and all the sides are also delicious, especially the Chinese broccoli and Hakka noodles.  Seriously so good and worth every penny!

Have not had the chance to cruise on an E-class ship yet so cannot compare to Chibang.  Chibang menu looks more pedestrian and it makes sense that the quality would be lower since it's basically just another MDR and has no upcharge.