Switch cabins once onboard?

My two adult daughters and I originally booked a cruise in January and then changed to a different date due to work conflicts. We originally had 2 connecting balcony cabins, but for the new itinerary, we were only able to secure 2 balcony cabins with one cabin between us. This is totally fine and we'll make it work, but the cabin between us is connected to my daughters' cabin. I'm wondering if we left a note on the door of the cabin between us explaining this situation, and IF they were interested in switching to our non-adjoining cabin, would customer service allow us to make this switch? I know there are a lot of "ifs" here, and as I said, we are totally fine with the cabins we are assigned to if that's our only option. But IF our neighbors would prefer to switch to a non-connecting cabin (allowing us to have 2 adjoining cabins), would customer service allow us to do this?  Thanks in advance!

I have no idea if this will work or not, would make me nervous thinking of all the ways they could mess up with the billing doing that. Don't give up on finding rooms next to each other, keep checking and maybe some will open up that you could move to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, erinsmom03 said:

I have no idea if this will work or not, would make me nervous thinking of all the ways they could mess up with the billing doing that. Don't give up on finding rooms next to each other, keep checking and maybe some will open up that you could move to.

Actually, we don't want to give up the location just to have adjoining cabins. You make an excellent point about the billing issues. We'd also need new key cards. I just figured the people in the cabin adjoining my daughters might prefer more privacy and we could remove the barrier and have a double balcony. But again, we're fine where we are if it's too much of a hassle or against RCI policy. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

Actually, we don't want to give up the location just to have adjoining cabins. You make an excellent point about the billing issues. We'd also need new key cards. I just figured the people in the cabin adjoining my daughters might prefer more privacy and we could remove the barrier and have a double balcony. But again, we're fine where we are if it's too much of a hassle or against RCI policy. Thanks!

You're welcome and good luck! I hope it all works out. We were in a similar spot a few years ago, had a room between us and our cousins. It worked out okay, but definitely prefer being right next door. Even if the room isn't connecting, being able to open up the balconies makes it connecting and a great space to hang out together.

• Like 1

Do not place the passengers in the cabin between you in the awkward position of saying no to you.

And please be aware that your balcony is not a sound proof hang out area.  Any conversations or noise out there will carry to any balcony above, below or around you.

• Like 1

Are you using a travel agent?

If so, you could have your agent contact Royal and make a request on your behalf.

One time a couple of years ago I was contacted by Royal asking me if I would mind moving my room a few spots to accommodate a large family group. This alleviates, the issue of the onboard transition, and all the errors that could happen with that, as well as an awkward moment between you and the current occupants of the cabin.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Do not place the passengers in the cabin between you in the awkward position of saying no to you.

And please be aware that your balcony is not a sound proof hang out area.  Any conversations or noise out there will carry to any balcony above, below or around you.

Thank you for the etiquette lesson. I did not ask you for your opinion. I've sailed many times on RCI and I'm well aware of how the noise can carry from the balcony. If you have no information to offer regarding my question, then please keep your opinions to yourself. 

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Are you using a travel agent?

If so, you could have your agent contact Royal and make a request on your behalf.

One time a couple of years ago I was contacted by Royal asking me if I would mind moving my room a few spots to accommodate a large family group. This alleviates, the issue of the onboard transition, and all the errors that could happen with that, as well as an awkward moment between you and the current occupants of the cabin.

Yes, I am using a travel agent. That's an excellent suggestion. We do not want to make our neighbors uncomfortable. We just thought it might be a win-win. Thank you! 

59 minutes ago, CruiseGirl4ever said:

My two adult daughters and I originally booked a cruise in January and then changed to a different date due to work conflicts. We originally had 2 connecting balcony cabins, but for the new itinerary, we were only able to secure 2 balcony cabins with one cabin between us. This is totally fine and we'll make it work, but the cabin between us is connected to my daughters' cabin. I'm wondering if we left a note on the door of the cabin between us explaining this situation, and IF they were interested in switching to our non-adjoining cabin, would customer service allow us to make this switch? I know there are a lot of "ifs" here, and as I said, we are totally fine with the cabins we are assigned to if that's our only option. But IF our neighbors would prefer to switch to a non-connecting cabin (allowing us to have 2 adjoining cabins), would customer service allow us to do this?  Thanks in advance!

I have done this and it worked out fine. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have done this and it worked out fine. 

The closest we ever came to doing this was on a B2B where we had to change cabins. The people in the cabin we were moving to were also on a B2B, and they would have switched with us, but we couldn't get the people in the third cabin to move.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, orville99 said:

The closest we ever came to doing this was on a B2B where we had to change cabins. The people in the cabin we were moving to were also on a B2B, and they would have switched with us, but we couldn't get the people in the third cabin to move.

I, too, was on a B2B, and had the cabins next door to each other.  After I explained the situation to the people in the cabin next to mine on Cruise #1 (and the cabins were identical in every possible way), they were happy to switch.

We just went down to GS together and it was taken care of in a few minutes.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 9:49 AM, CruiseGirl4ever said:

If you are using a TA this can be done ahead of time. They will contact the folks in the middle cabin and ask if they mind moving one cabin over.

Our TA has done it successfully when we cruised with kids and grands.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 9:49 AM, CruiseGirl4ever said:

My two adult daughters and I originally booked a cruise in January and then changed to a different date due to work conflicts. We originally had 2 connecting balcony cabins, but for the new itinerary, we were only able to secure 2 balcony cabins with one cabin between us. This is totally fine and we'll make it work, but the cabin between us is connected to my daughters' cabin. I'm wondering if we left a note on the door of the cabin between us explaining this situation, and IF they were interested in switching to our non-adjoining cabin, would customer service allow us to make this switch? I know there are a lot of "ifs" here, and as I said, we are totally fine with the cabins we are assigned to if that's our only option. But IF our neighbors would prefer to switch to a non-connecting cabin (allowing us to have 2 adjoining cabins), would customer service allow us to do this?  Thanks d

Double post.

Edited by fredmdcruisers
Double