How do you search boards????

Either there is a trick I am not doing or it just does not work.

• I am logged in and reading a specific board
  • I click the magnifying glass search icon at the top of the screen.
  • I type in a single word that I am looking for
  • It returns a billion hits across the entire cruise critic site. I just want the pages in the board I am in.

So please tell me how to use this as I have never gotten it to work in 15 years.

Thank you.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, crooooze said:

• It returns a billion hits across the entire cruise critic site. I just want the pages in the board I am in.

So please tell me how to use this as I have never gotten it to work in 15 years.

Thank you.

This method works for desktop/laptops, and, I believe, for tablets in landscape mode.

First, make sure that you are searching in the white oval on the blue bar. (It looks like that is the only search now, but there used to be another.)

Click just to the left of the magnifying glass within the white oval (not right on it) and you will see This Topic with a small downward triangle beside it. Click on the triangle, and it will open the menu to select where you want to search.

Then fill in your search term.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, crooooze said:

Thank you.

There are a number of options that can be selected to confine the search. 

In Content Type select Topic. Scroll down to Cruise Critic Community and navigate the drop list to the forum you are interested in. You can select several forums if you wish.

You can confine the threads searched by how long ago they were created. Use Custom if you want to provide actual dates. Same with when a post was last added to the thread. Can use both but take care to be logically consistent.

Searching for a single word is almost always going to produce a lot of hits.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 12/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, broberts said:

There are a number of options that can be selected to confine the search. 

In Content Type select Topic. Scroll down to Cruise Critic Community and navigate the drop list to the forum you are interested in. You can select several forums if you wish.

You can confine the threads searched by how long ago they were created. Use Custom if you want to provide actual dates. Same with when a post was last added to the thread. Can use both but take care to be logically consistent.

Searching for a single word is almost always going to produce a lot of hits.

@broberts I tried this exact thing yesterday, and still got a bunch of random unrelated search results

1 hour ago, PalmBeach4 said:

@broberts I tried this exact thing yesterday, and still got a bunch of random unrelated search results

Make sure you have used the correct location to search. Here is a clip of my choices:

image.thumb.png.30c85fe58d86fd9b30e826a369c8f630.png

There are times when you need to enter your terms surrounded by quotation marks - like, "Miami hotels" - you get different results than if you entered just the two words. This is because quotation marks are used for phrase searching. That way your results will be just posts or titles containing the phrase and not ALL the posts containing the word Miami AND ALL the posts containing the word hotels.

Also, I know you know what you are looking for... but sometimes I try to think in the way someone else would have posted the information. Then use word phrases with quotation marks as mentioned above for better luck. 

• Like 1