Keto Friendly Drinks

zanderblue

Hi, hoping for some thoughts from the collective mind.

I am sailing very soon on Apex and I am currently on keto based diet. Whilst I am reasonably confident I will be able to figure out my food options I am less sure about my drinks. Does anyone have any experience of being able to get “skinny” drinks or perhaps even something like slimline tonic for a gin?

TIA

i also try to do keto as much as possible on cruises, although i usually fail half way through, but in regards to drinks, i stick to Scotch or gin and seltzer water.  I cant think of any mix drinks that wouldn't have a ton of sugar on top of the alcohol.  Either way, any alcohol will knock you out of ketosis quick, but straight liquor or maybe michelob ultra will keep you in it a little longer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 20165 said:

i also try to do keto as much as possible on cruises, although i usually fail half way through, but in regards to drinks, i stick to Scotch or gin and seltzer water.  I cant think of any mix drinks that wouldn't have a ton of sugar on top of the alcohol.  Either way, any alcohol will knock you out of ketosis quick, but straight liquor or maybe michelob ultra will keep you in it a little longer.

Pretty much this.  Also a "skinny" drink is very ambiguous, instead of a regular drink containing 50g of sugar, the "skinny" version may still contain 25g.  I would recommend the OP look up specific drinks they like (they provided zero details to what types of drinks they like) and tell the bartender the exact ingredients vs asking for "skinny"

• Like 1

I take a glass of unsweet iced tea to the bar and have them add a shot of Grey Goose.  Then I add a packet of freeze dried lemon powder and a packet of stevia powder (both available on Amazon).  With white wine, I ask for a glass of club soda and make a spritz.  Reds I choose dry-er varietals.  I also take 3x Milk Thistle per day, which helps kick the alcohol out of your liver.  I also used one of those tiny Ziploc cups and had a scoop of Perfect Keto flavored collagen in it for after dinner coffee, or morning coffee.  X ships now have Truvia packets all over the place, but sometimes erythritol upsets me.  Was good in a pinch though if I forgot to pack stevia.

I stay away from any drinks made with soda "Zero".  They use Sucralose as the sweetener.  Sucralose always spikes my insulin and triggers my hunger hormone so I tend to crave salty snacks and ice cream.  I use Zevia soda as a mixer at home, so I know for certain it's the Sucralose that does this.

We just spent 3.5 weeks in Europe on two ships - RCCL and then X for the crossing, and my net gain was 3 pounds.  Not terrible, considering I had croissants delivered via room service every morning, ate at Eden twice, and had dessert every night.  Didn't take me long to get back into keto once we got home, and I actually think the break helped break the plateau I had been complaining about for some time.

Oh, and even though it was a heck of a lot easier the first half of the cruises than later when I felt fat and bloated, we took the stairs everywhere.  Up and down.  Only took the elevator twice - once on the way in with luggage, and when we got off.  I averaged 10k steps every day - even sea days.

Good luck!

I have been keto/low carb for 5 years.  My go to drink is a white wine spritzer.  I order dry white wine with club soda and ask for extra lime or lemon slices.  I will also drink dry white wine on its own with dinner, but I find that a spritzer is more refreshing in hot weather. 

That being said, I don't stick to strictly low carb when cruising.  After 5 years I have learned that straying from it for a few weeks isn't a big problem for me and I can quickly get back to it when I get home.   My mantra is that the carbs have to be worth it.  I will have some non low carb drinks as well as food that I consider worthy.  I have no trouble staying away from rice, pasta, potatoes, and most bread.  I do splurge on dessert on the odd cocktail and do love a coffee with Baileys 🙂 

I follow low carb as a lifestyle choice, however if yours is for health reasons then you may have to be more careful.  

Enjoy your cruise 🙂 

• Like 1

Another long-time low carber here. Unfortunately, ships (at least IME) don't tend to have much in the way of sugar-free mixers outside of mainstream brands of diet soda, which I detest. I have never found diet tonic water. Now that hard seltzers are becoming more popular, you may find some of those aboard, but I would suggest bringing your own sugar free tonic syrup, or learning to love plain seltzer as a mixer. Personally I prefer gin and seltzer with a lime wedge to gin and tonic any day!