Panama canal cruise

pandncruisers

The ports are not always the same on each leg, so it pays to look at each itinerary.  Plus, they are subject to change.  We are scheduled to do one (from NYC to Panama) in a few months, and one of the ports was changed already.  The way return trip  back to NYC has different ports, and more days at sea. I don't know if that's always the case with the east coast/west coast itineraries.   So you really need to do your homework.  

As for which end is which, we opted to end and fly home from Panama.  A the previous poster said, missing the cruise is far worse than being delayed on the way home.   

I’ve done both and thoroughly loved both, although going west to east was slightly more wonderful.  For me, it wouldn’t be a question of which direction but rather size of ship and which locks the ship will use.  Larger ships=newer locks, smaller ships=older locks. I’ve only experienced doing the crossing through the older locks so can’t compare but can say how much I loved the whole day of traversing the canal through the old locks.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

I’m going west to east. La-Mia on the joy in 31 days.    Can’t wait.     
not sure which locks I’d be on.  But I have an excursion on a smaller ferry to do them.    Was gonna do the train.    

The Joy will use the new locks. it's too big for the old locks.

17 minutes ago, pandncruisers said:

Thanks for the info we are looking at the Joy or Bliss so it will be the new locks.  We live in AZ so we are considering LA to Miami but need to check into the ports more. 

If this will be your first transit, I strongly suggest a smaller ship that will use the original locks. Much more interesting. And don’t tie yourself to NCL if you aren’t finding what you want.

There’s also an entire forum here dedicated to the Panama Canal. 

• Like 2

We sail the Jewel on March 21, 2023, Panama City to San Diego, and picked it for both the ports along the way, and for the embark/debark ports. 

I like the idea of starting in Panama City so we could take a few days there pre-cruise, as there is a lovely old town, and the Panama Canal museum at the Miraflores Visitors Center is very interesting. I was there a few years ago and had wished I had more time. 

I also like the ports along the way as there are some more unusual choices, some ports we already love, and then a few of the usual on that route. 

I'd pick it based on the itinerary that appeals the most to you.

We did a partial transit on the Pearl, old locks, about 6 years ago. Round trip out of Mia. Enjoyed that so much we wanted to do a full transit. Chose to make this trip on one of the larger ships thru new locks, did Bliss Mia to LA this past Feb. Both of these journeys were spectacular. Both of these ships are wonderful. The Panama Canal and the history there are impressive.  East to West, West to East? Flip a coin. Do both on different ships. Jewel class ship one time to experience the old locks and the Breakaway plus class the next time to transit the new locks.  It's worth it.  We will likely do it again sometime in the future. 

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking about going from West Coast to East Coast or vice versa?  If that is the case, I believe that those type cruises are only done once per year for each option/ship.  Going from West Coast to East Coast happens at the end of the Alaska season when the ships move to the Caribbean Itineraries, so in November.  And the east to west will be the opposite and happen in January prior to the Alaska season.

Edited by RedwingHockeyFan

I  just did a full transit starting in Seattle and ending in Miami. I wanted to do the old locks and also liked going from west to east due to time changes so when I flew home from Florida to Masachusetts there would be no time difference. I was on the NCL Sun 20 day and it was fantastic.

10 hours ago, terry&mike said:

We sail the Jewel on March 21, 2023, Panama City to San Diego, and picked it for both the ports along the way, and for the embark/debark ports. 

I like the idea of starting in Panama City so we could take a few days there pre-cruise, as there is a lovely old town, and the Panama Canal museum at the Miraflores Visitors Center is very interesting. I was there a few years ago and had wished I had more time. 

I also like the ports along the way as there are some more unusual choices, some ports we already love, and then a few of the usual on that route. 

I'd pick it based on the itinerary that appeals the most to you.

You realize you will be embarking the ship in Colon, rather than the Panama City proper? Hope NCL offers bus transfers from Pamana City to Colon on the day of the cruise. Please let me know as we would rather do Pamana on smaller ships thru the old locks.

59 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

You realize you will be embarking the ship in Colon, rather than the Panama City proper? Hope NCL offers bus transfers from Pamana City to Colon on the day of the cruise. Please let me know as we would rather do Pamana on smaller ships thru the old locks.

Yes, we realize we embark in Colon, but are flying in to Panama City and will enjoy a couple of nights in the old town pre-cruise.

NCL does offer transfers from Panama City to Colon on the day of the cruise, but we have arranged an independent transfer on the day of the sailing. I've been to Colon before, it's not very enticing, and is only about 90 minutes away from Panama City. 

Edited by terry&mike
  • Thanks 1