Would you go to Alaska on an Edge Class ship? Should I?

DrKoob

9 hours ago, cangelmd said:

My DH would say no IV, ever, but after being on Apex on a relatively cool weather cruise, I think that’s what IVs are best at. You can sit in the chairs and see out as well as little forward and back as well. I thought the chairs were reasonably comfortable. The rail will obstruct many peoples view at least a little, but the same could be said for a balcony rail.

The bigger issue for me is still do you want to see Glacier Bay…

I get that I can see out the window but I am a photographer and I won't shoot through glass. I want pics of the glaciers and scenery, not my reflection in the window.

5 hours ago, cw2go said:

.IMO Seattle Itineraries are weak and the sailing is likely more rough but some of Alaska is better than none.

You are SO right! 

From an eight time Alaska cruiser and Seattle-area resident, there is no comparison between sailing from Seattle or Vancouver. Sailing from Vancouver is ALWAYS best. The slight amount you might have to pay extra to fly into Vancouver is totally worth it. If you have never sailed to Alaska out of Vancouver, it is a much better experience.

When you sail out of Vancouver, you get the Canadian Inside Passage. This is a glorious area you sail through on the way to Alaska). Forests full of flora and fauna as well as many Canadian villages will glide by just off the sides of your ship. If you sail out of Seattle, you turn left at Vancouver Island and sail out into the Pacific Ocean. All you see for an entire day is ocean and Vancouver Island off in the distance

The waters of the Canadian Inside Passage are smooth as a lake. You won’t feel a thing as you sail to and from Vancouver’s port. When you sail from Seattle, you are out in the Pacific for two full days, so there is much more chance of motion sickness.

When you sail from Vancouver, you don’t have to stop in a Canadian port when you return, so you get much more time in the Alaskan ports. Which is why you went on the cruise in the first place. When you sail from Seattle due to the PVSA Act (a USA law that says a foreign flagged cruise ship can’t move passengers from one US port directly to another) you have to stop on the evening of your last day in Victoria, BC. Not really enough time to do anything as you don’t usually arrive until around 6:00 pm. Plus you spend the day at sea. You also lose time in the Alaskan ports.

When you sail from Vancouver, the cruise is all about Alaska. The ships are usually slightly smaller and the itineraries are more about our 49th state. When you sail from Seattle, the cruise is all about the cruise. The ships are larger and often have all the cool, new stuff like go carts, bumper cars, etc.That's why the big ships (RCL, NCL) sail out of Seattle with their newest and largest. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I would heavily prefer S class myself.

E class has inward looking views vs outward looking views on S class.  You could be near an outward looking window on S class and see a whale spouting, or some pretty scenery.  The outward looking views are severely limited on E class.  The lawn club is also easier to take pictures from on S class as there is not all of the obstructions that E class has blocking views and pictures.

• Like 2

Going on my first E-Class next month but have been to Alaska. When researching that trip, we learned (and agreed) that while a balcony is important, for Alaska you want to get out of your cabin and move around the ship for different views.  We went on HAL and had a cabin on the veranda level.  We walked out of the cabin and a whole ship veranda.  We were usually the only ones outside in that area.

Still worried I won't like the IV but know I wouldn't take it to Alaska.

21 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I wonder if the structure of the E-Class is so unique that it doesn't allow for more variation in cabin types? I find that hard to believe since there's Sky Suites mixed among the IV cabins. But so far all three E-Class ships have the same mix of cabin types, even though they know they can charge more for a true outside balcony configuration. I wonder if the theories about drag and efficiency are correct,  hence the absence of cabin type mix on the newest builds? 

I would think that enormous magic carpet jutting out on the side of the ship creates significant drag, so maybe they had to compensate by reducing # of true balconies?

Since the restart we have done 4 cruises. 3 of them have been Alaska cruises. 2 were on Millie and 1 on Solstice. I'm currently looking to book an Alaska cruise for Sept 2024. We have done 1 cruise on the Edge in a sky suite. The Summit would be very nice, but adding airfare to Anchorage and transfer to Seward. I decided to pass on the Summit. The Edge out of Seattle would be the simplest for us. We are 30 mins from the cruise terminal. Solstice out of Canada Place is about a 3 hour drive from Seattle. In my eyes Solstice has the better itinerary. I like Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point and glassblowing. So I looked at the cost for a celebrity suite. Well, I was thinking about giving the Edge another chance, but the cost difference means we will pick Solstice out of Vancouver. Solstice will cost less and has the better itinerary.

5 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Stay in the Retreat, problem solved.

You do realize that less than 10% of the staterooms on the ship are in the "Retreat" which is basically for wealthy folks. You are eliminating 90% of the people on board. But hey, I like your elitist attitude. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Since the restart we have done 4 cruises. 3 of them have been Alaska cruises. 2 were on Millie and 1 on Solstice. I'm currently looking to book an Alaska cruise for Sept 2024. We have done 1 cruise on the Edge in a sky suite. The Summit would be very nice, but adding airfare to Anchorage and transfer to Seward. I decided to pass on the Summit. The Edge out of Seattle would be the simplest for us. We are 30 mins from the cruise terminal. Solstice out of Canada Place is about a 3 hour drive from Seattle. In my eyes Solstice has the better itinerary. I like Hubbard Glacier, Icy Strait Point and glassblowing. So I looked at the cost for a celebrity suite. Well, I was thinking about giving the Edge another chance, but the cost difference means we will pick Solstice out of Vancouver. Solstice will cost less and has the better itinerary.

It is always better to sail out of Vancouver when going to Alaska. For so many reasons. 

• Like 1

If Edge class was the only way to cruise to Alaska, I wouldn't go. 

IVs that can be locked out. 

No Sky Lounge or ANY forward facing public outdoor space with a panoramic view. 

An unrevolutionized S or M class would be far better 

• Like 1