Priscilla Queen of the Desert

vacation44

4 minutes ago, BenDover said:

Glad I saw it twice 😎

Never planning on sailing on Epic again - so I guess not a big deal. 

Not happy I saw (most of it) twice.  RIP.  IIRC, it had a horrible message about a father abandoning his young son to live for his own interests.  Not the message we need.  Any man who grew up with a missing/absent father should be able to relate.  Beyond that, I couldn't care less about any other social messaging that was going on.  To each their own (until it impacts an innocent child).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Any man who grew up with a missing/absent father should be able to relate

I had only heard about the over-the-top costumes, telling the story of three drag queens.  I didn’t realize that was part of the storyline…so I googled it.   Sure enough.   On behalf of my three boys, I can relate.  On a different note…we expected (as part of our cruise fare) a broadway performance, and by golly we should get one!!  Or is this yet another cost cutting tactic?

• Like 1

Seems like they've had a bit of a deal with the production of SIX as they've loaded it on more ships. I will be very interested to find out what they do with it. The smaller Jewel-class ones have been stuck with Blazing Boots since the re-launch and Elements which has been on NCL forever. Clearly the entertainment department is also getting hit by cost cutting. It must've been time for NCL to renew the rights to PQOTD and decided to chop it? This is the first I've heard of it in this thread.

Just now, CruisinMaterial said:

Seems like they've had a bit of a deal with the production of SIX as they've loaded it on more ships. I will be very interested to find out what they do with it. The smaller Jewel-class ones have been stuck with Blazing Boots since the re-launch and Elements which has been on NCL forever. Clearly the entertainment department is also getting hit by cost cutting. It must've been time for NCL to renew the rights to PQOTD and decided to chop it? This is the first I've heard of it in this thread.

Agree, agree and agree.  Makes sense from a cost perspective. And, yes, for the short term, I will support cost cutting.  History repeats itself…at some point the cruise market will become a BULL market again, and they will def need to start offering more value to be competitive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Agree, agree and agree.  Makes sense from a cost perspective. And, yes, for the short term, I will support cost cutting.  History repeats itself…at some point the cruise market will become a BULL market again, and they will def need to start offering more value to be competitive.

That's the whole problem. Without getting this thread off topic too much, the CEO of NCLH needs a pay cut. For what he's paid and what he actually does towards sinking the company into more debt is astounding. He constantly is on TV saying how much he can get from passengers. That's not translating into full ships. Now the profitability outlook has been pushed into 2023. If he keeps undermining the brand, he's going to lose. MSC is chomping at the bit and doesn't need to kiss any investor's posterior. They've already beaten up Carnival's Costa brand quite nicely. It's only time before they go more gangbusters in the USA from more ports. Someone will lose and if he keeps this up, it'll be NCL because that's exactly the market MSC is after in the USA (minus solos although lately MSC has been catering to those as well). Haven = Yacht Club (and YC is cheaper in most cases).

Time will tell how it all shakes out but if there's one production I would love to see gone is Blazing Boots. I saw it on the Jade and it was garbage. Elements is old but always enjoyable.

17 minutes ago, CruisinMaterial said:

That's the whole problem. Without getting this thread off topic too much, the CEO of NCLH needs a pay cut. For what he's paid and what he actually does towards sinking the company into more debt is astounding. He constantly is on TV saying how much he can get from passengers. That's not translating into full ships. Now the profitability outlook has been pushed into 2023. If he keeps undermining the brand, he's going to lose. MSC is chomping at the bit and doesn't need to kiss any investor's posterior. They've already beaten up Carnival's Costa brand quite nicely. It's only time before they go more gangbusters in the USA from more ports. Someone will lose and if he keeps this up, it'll be NCL because that's exactly the market MSC is after in the USA (minus solos although lately MSC has been catering to those as well). Haven = Yacht Club (and YC is cheaper in most cases).

Time will tell how it all shakes out but if there's one production I would love to see gone is Blazing Boots. I saw it on the Jade and it was garbage. Elements is old but always enjoyable.

Perhaps.  I can agree FDR will have to play chess In the future.  We have three NCL cruises in ‘23…but we are def looking at MSC for ‘24.  We have found several cruises that we would consider for half the price….equal to equal.

There were rumours that Priscilla would be replaced when Epic was due to go for refurbishment in 2020 but covid put paid to that plan. Getting the bus off the ship would apparently be a major project. I suspect someone realised they could just cut it up if they didn’t want to re-use it for a different ship. It does however seem a bit odd that 6 would be on multiple ships, it’s not like the dance show that’s on getaway and breakaway as that evolves with different casts bringing different dance styles and choreography. 

3 hours ago, eileeshb said:

It does however seem a bit odd that 6 would be on multiple ships, it’s not like the dance show that’s on getaway and breakaway as that evolves with different casts bringing different dance styles and choreography. 

SIX is no different than the Burn the Floor shows. Cast member of SIX sign 6 month contracts are are constantly rotating off/on ships. Casts rehearse in Tampa and deploying to ships for all shows (Dance, SIX, Pricilla, Donna Summer). On the Breakaway, the backing band for SIX is also the backing band for Burn the Floor and the entire cast rotates off as a group (there are always exceptions if there is an injury, illness, or someone gets fired). 

When I booked the Epic back in 2017 for a 2018 sailing the show was suppose to be Blue Man Group.  Then they switched it for Pricilla.  Was very disappointed.  It's been five years now so their contract must be up for renewal or something else.

I saw Six on NCL and was very disappointed. No memorable lyrics, highlighted the horrible treatment that Henry the Eight  disposed of his wives, very blah! Was hoping for Priscilla, and since cruise ships are filling up for the winter getaway season, if not Priscilla, something better than Six 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, living at the beach said:

I saw Six on NCL and was very disappointed. No memorable lyrics, highlighted the horrible treatment that Henry the Eight  disposed of his wives, very blah! Was hoping for Priscilla, and since cruise ships are filling up for the winter getaway season, if not Priscilla, something better than Six 

My husband and I really enjoyed the Priscilla show when we sailed on Epic. That being said, we saw Six on Breakaway in September. It was a good show. I did not find it to be "blah", but felt that it was a little long. Epic should get it's own headlining Broadway type show, and not also Six. To me Burn the Floor always feel different whenever I see it. I feel like Six would be the same every time, and is not something that needs to be on multiple ships.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 8:49 PM, bortman23 said:

That's not the message. He reunites with his son. 

Well, that's the nice thing about living in a free country.  We are free to develop our own opinions and they don't have to match the other person's opinion.  One man's treasure is another man's 💩. Some see an uplifting story about a son forgiving and accepting his father so that they can live happily ever after.  Others?  Not so much.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 1:24 PM, eileeshb said:

There were rumours that Priscilla would be replaced when Epic was due to go for refurbishment in 2020 but covid put paid to that plan. Getting the bus off the ship would apparently be a major project. I suspect someone realised they could just cut it up if they didn’t want to re-use it for a different ship. It does however seem a bit odd that 6 would be on multiple ships, it’s not like the dance show that’s on getaway and breakaway as that evolves with different casts bringing different dance styles and choreography. 

The bus is NOT a whole set piece. It breaks apart for storage as well as load-in/load-outs. As for dance shows on multiple ships have you not noticed the deck sail away parties and white parties, etc are all the SAME shows done by the casts of the bigger shows??

Edited by SakeDad

Priscilla is back on Epic Dec 16-23.  That have it 2 shows on 2 different nights Sunday & Tuesday. We booked Sunday night as that is sea day. Taking our 14 yr old son too. Ship is completely full over 4500 & lots of kids. Burn the floor is other show with reservations 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruisingrandy said:

Priscilla is back on Epic Dec 16-23.  That have it 2 shows on 2 different nights Sunday & Tuesday. We booked Sunday night as that is sea day. Taking our 14 yr old son too. Ship is completely full over 4500 & lots of kids. Burn the floor is other show with reservations 

Thanks for the update and have a wonderful sailing!