Do direct extra tips get pooled, or can the person keep them, or does it depend?

rabidstoat

Apologies for asking something I'm certain has been asked before but I'm on the Joy and the Internet is struggling making searches hard.

If I leave my room steward an extra cash tip for being a great Steward does he get to keep it himself? What if I give my favorite bartender a cash tip at the end of the cruise, do they keep it or does it get pooled? 

I read years ago that the staff in the kids club don’t get to share the gratuity. Does anyone know if that’s still true? Last cruise we went on we gave the kids club staff a separate tip. I understand if no one has the answer. Just curious 

2 hours ago, rabidstoat said:

Apologies for asking something I'm certain has been asked before but I'm on the Joy and the Internet is struggling making searches hard.

If I leave my room steward an extra cash tip for being a great Steward does he get to keep it himself? What if I give my favorite bartender a cash tip at the end of the cruise, do they keep it or does it get pooled? 

Just curious here.  How much of your tip is a regular top and how much of it is extra?  To answer your question, non one here knows for  a fact how tips are handled and further, it is none of our business.  As long as the employees and NCL have a system in place and both sides agree to it, who really cares?

• Like 2

I don’t know the disposition of my cash tips ($1/drink in bars, $3/meal in included restaurants, $5/meal in specialty restaurants, $10/person to cabin steward), but the staff seems pretty darn pleased to get them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Just curious here.  How much of your tip is a regular top and how much of it is extra?  To answer your question, non one here knows for  a fact how tips are handled and further, it is none of our business.  As long as the employees and NCL have a system in place and both sides agree to it, who really cares?

We shouldn’t be concerned how NCL and employees exchange money and compensation. Likewise, it is a consumer’s own decision whether or not they pay DSC, tip, do a combination or do neither. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Some people regularly stiff restaurant servers and hotel housekeepers.  It’s just a nasty thing to do.

Luckily NCL has said “Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests.” NCL goes on to state that 20% is added for services beyond the general. Any tips provided on NCL are in fact additional tips per the NCL website. 

2 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

We shouldn’t be concerned how NCL and employees exchange money and compensation. Likewise, it is a consumer’s own decision whether or not they pay DSC, tip, do a combination or do neither. 

You missed the point totally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You missed the point totally.

I didn’t miss your point, in fact, I echoed your point. Let NCL and employees handle salary and the distribution of gratuities. I applied your same comment to respecting the way consumers handle and distribute discretionary spending, be that in tips or DSC. 

2 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Some people regularly stiff restaurant servers and hotel housekeepers.  It’s just a nasty thing to do.

Only did it once.

Back in the 80s, lady friend and I were having sushi.

A friend of my lady and the friends boyfriend sat down beside us at the bar.

After dinner I went to the mens room.

When I returned the other couple had left leaving me with the tab.

About five years later, the boyfriend was my waiter at olive garden.

He didn't recognize me.

I stiffed him and told him why I did it.

Karma.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Only did it once.

Back in the 80s, lady friend and I were having sushi.

A friend of my lady and the friends boyfriend sat down beside us at the bar.

After dinner I went to the mens room.

When I returned the other couple had left leaving me with the tab.

About five years later, the boyfriend was my waiter at olive garden.

He didn't recognize me.

I stiffed him and told him why I did it.

Karma.

That’s a great story. And illustrative in this instance. 

22 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

I don’t know the disposition of my cash tips ($1/drink in bars, $3/meal in included restaurants, $5/meal in specialty restaurants, $10/person to cabin steward), but the staff seems pretty darn pleased to get them.

NOT MUCH FOR TIPPING ARE YOU

22 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

Is that per day, per instance or per cruise?  IMHO -  Per instance that seems about right.  Per day seems a bit cheap (except cabin steward).  Per cruise that is really cheap.  

On 12/11/2022 at 1:50 PM, Coreysgrl06 said:

I read years ago that the staff in the kids club don’t get to share the gratuity. Does anyone know if that’s still true? Last cruise we went on we gave the kids club staff a separate tip. I understand if no one has the answer. Just curious 

The kids club staff is not part of the DSC pool.

• Thanks 1

OP, I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question.  However, I'd like to add that I find your question valid, in other words a good question.  I'd like to know that if I leave an additional tip, that it goes to the person who earned it.   Especially if I'm putting a $10 bill in my bartender's hand, I'd want him to keep it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scooter6139 said:

Is that per day, per instance or per cruise?  IMHO -  Per instance that seems about right.  Per day seems a bit cheap (except cabin steward).  Per cruise that is really cheap.  

Eeeek....everyone but the room steward will think me cheap. All those listed receive the DSC from me, nothing else. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 1:50 PM, Coreysgrl06 said:

That is true since everyone doesn't use the kids club. The same way the bar staff only gets tipped from the gratuities on drinks and the drink package and not from the DSC.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, Coreysgrl06 said:

They don't share in the DSC - see https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-about-gratuities:

"Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2022 at 8:24 AM, rabidstoat said:

Here's what NCL says at https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/what-about-gratuities

"While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them."

To me, that sounds like they are permitted to accept cash gratuities and keep them - which I view as an essential part of "accepting" the cash. Others will argue that they can accept them, but not keep them.

Take your pick.

• Like 1