The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday December 12th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Gingerbread Decorating Day, National Ambrosia Day, and National Poinsettia Day

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.--Mark Twain

Meal Suggestion for today - Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
Drink of the Day - Hornitos Midori Margarita
Wine of the Day - Rivetto 2019 Vigna Lirano (Nebbiolo d'Alba)
Destination of the Day - Istanbul, Turkey

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 12/13

Koningsdam

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico 11:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles eta 12/13

Oosterdam

Punta Arenas, Chile Antarctica 06:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Kralendijk Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles eta 12/14

Volendam

Oranjestad, Aruba 7:00am 8:00pm

Zaandam

At Sea Destination San Juan, Puerto Rico eta 12/17

Zuiderdam

Dry Dock Freeport, Bahamas Completion 12/14

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Burnie, Tasmania Australia 08:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Cruising Fiordland Natl Park

1012World.thumb.png.4b440f3a6394ec5b7d1e9d47ba6c2e47.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Sunny day here in Oranjestad Aruba.

Hornitos Midori Margarita cocktail:

Ingredients
1 1/2 parts Hornitos® Plata Tequila
1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
1 part Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 part Simple Syrup
Garnish: Lime Wheel

Instructions
Combine all ingredients into an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass over fresh ice. Garnish with a lime wheel on the rim.

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 6.39.24 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 12

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Cool morning, it will sunny with a high of 79 later in the day.

Some strange days but a funny quote by Twain.

I'd try the meal.

We've been to Instanbul and spent 3 days there at the start of a  Greek Islands cruise in 1999, fascinating city.

We returned yesterday from our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, I posted a review late yesterday afternoon on The Daily, it was far from the best cruise we've ever had as explained in the review.

Off to the golf course in a few minutes.

Thanks for The Daily, everyone stay well and have a great day. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily and Fleet Report. 

Happy Monday, hope it's the start of a good week.

Good collection of days.  I won't be decorating any cookies today but I will buy a poinsettia today and I should make an ambrosia salad.

Love the quote, very amusing.

I'll pass on the meal.

The drink looks good, hope the wine is tasty too.

I've never been to Istanbul, we were supposed to go a couple of years ago, but that cruise was cancelled because of COVID.  We'll try again someday.

Hope everything goes well for Graham with his medical appointment today.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, seagarsmoker said:

Thanks for the Daily Report! 

Covid update - Feeling much better and I would say 90% of 'normal'.

We booked another Caribbean cruise yesterday. NA on my 65th birthday - leaves 3/23/24. 🙂 

Glad you are feeling better.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  I like looking at Gingerbread decorations but have no desire to try to do it myself.  I like the other 2 days and the Mark Twain quote,   I've been to Istanbul on a land trip but never been to Turkey by ship.  The meal suggestion is interesting,  My alternative is Chilled Apple Vichyssoise, Grilled Half Chicken with Peaches, and Blueberry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam December 12, 2013. 

My lips feel pretty normal now for winter but still look a bit swollen,  I have labs tomorrow for my annual physical and the physical itself on the 20th.  I'll hold off on doing anything more until then and I'm not sure when I'll be posting the next 2 Tuesdays.

The celebration list is getting awfully short.  I hope I'm not missing anything major.

Today’s care list:

*MissG* struggling with devastating family health situation
Medical appoints for Grahan today and tomorrow
RIP FF Zachary Paris and Marvin Grube LODD, 12/7/22  Schuylkill County Pa. Internment 12/17
Skin cancer check for ottahand7
HALsailer DSIL with cancer and very weak
summer slope and DH in covid quarantine
lazey1 with post cruise Covid
USN59-79 with leg fracture
Marshhawk DH family illnesses
Ichiban Nekko with post pneumonia fatigue
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law with aggressive cancer therapy
Cruisin Terri leak damage
Ottahand7 Db in rehab
Smitty34877 waiting for hip replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

5 days for Kazu (Koningsdam 12/17 to 1/7/23)
Welcome home SusieKIslandGirl
RedbeckBob (Nieuw Statendam to 12/17),  StLouisCruiser & Summer Slope (Volendam  to 12/17) and Cruisin Terri (Insignia  to 12/28) at sea
Cunnorl (Noordam to 1/2/23),  Damcruiser (Nieuw Statendam  to 1/14/23), Seasick Sailor (Rotterdam  to 1/25/23) and  Horizon Chaser1957 (Zaandam to 12/20; Zuiderdam 12/22 to 5/12/23) at sea

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 15

I posted this last night, but just to make sure everyone sees it.

I believe everyone knows that I am boarding Zuiderdam on December 22nd for the holidays followed by the World Cruise. I do have the internet package for the duration, but it will be difficult to post the daily each day. All the information is also posted on halfacts at halfacts.com/daily. Tonight I completed setting up the site with the general information that is included each day, such as locations, quote, meals, and others. With this completed, each day halfacts will have the initial daily post which someone can copy and past to start the thread each day.

If someone will do this each day, I would appreciate it. I will check in most days but it will be at varying times since I will be in each time zone over the next few months. If anyone wants to contact me for more information please email me at richwmn at gmail dot com.

Thanks

Rich

@kochleffel replied that they would be able to do it some days and would post if no one else did earlier. That would work. Each morning someone different could post.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the fleet update and general info.

National Ambrosia Day. Another day to celebrate. Ambrosia was that famous 1970’s rock and roll band with there famous hit song, “Biggest Part Of Me”.  I always thought that after a +30 day cruise the song was referring to my belly! 😀

• Like 10
  • Haha 7

Good morning everyone from a cold Boston, we got our first snowfall last evening.  Nice collection of days today, it’s definitely the holiday season.  I’ll pass on the meal suggestion but the drink sounds tasty.  I haven’t been to today’s port but hope to next year.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for those that need them. Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today.  

• Like 22

Good afternoon.

I had my skin cancer operation at 10.30am UK time.

The surgeon thought 1 was a skin cancer and he removed it but thought the other which is not noticeable to just keep an eye on it.

I took a photo but won't post it unless anyone wants me to.

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to everyone who sent their good wishes and Like my posts every day.

There was 4 inches of snow on my car this morning when I took Pauline to work at 07.00am and the temperature has been sub zero all day.

My thanks to Rich,Roy, Debbie & @summer slopeand all those who make this a Must Read thread every day.

Tomorrow is my 6th anniversary of joining Cruise Critic.

Nice selection of days today.

Best wishes for everyone on Roy's care list.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Another cloudy morning. Yesterday got a bit misty off and on, but no real rain. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. 

I visited Istanbul in 2016 after cruise ships starting visiting again. There were about 1,700 passengers on the Eurodam and many of them came from Australia. I loved the entire city, but found the Cisterns magical and fascinating. 

C7C21C3A-2F52-4852-A9C1-FB5F9B81C3C1.jpeg.6cb96ee4f5864c7269f45ab68e0c715c.jpeg

Just one gym class, chores and Bindi walks are on my schedule today. 

2BEDFD95-78FB-4FD1-874D-03E588BE80F3.jpeg.51b137c0824680b84052e41fed6d892f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @grapau27 Graham, happy to read that all went well today. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

Get well & stay well everyone!

Rivetto 2019 Vigna Lirano (Nebbiolo d'Alba)

This is one elusive wine! It sounds lovely and it is a biodynamic wine from a well respected vintner. Vicinity consumers report an average $51.00 per bottle, but my searches came up empty. 

96 Wine Enthusiast 

Made with certified organic and biodynamic farming methods and vinified in terra-cotta amphorae, this luminous Nebbiolo has compelling aromas of ripe red fruit, tilled earth, violet and camphor. The focused, delicious palate has a pristine quality, doling out fresh red berries, white pepper, star anise and a dollop of vanilla alongside taut, polished tannins. Bright acidity keeps it balanced, while a saline mineral note lingers on the savory finish. Enjoy now or hold for more complexity. Drink through 2031.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 3

thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Nice collection of days.  Love poinsettia’s and I may end up with some in the house after all.  LOL on the Mark Twain quote - sounds like not much has changed since his time 😉 

Had the pleasure to be to Istanbul a couple of times (and yes, on a BHB)  Fabulous place and so amazing!

Watching the forecast and it’s not pretty.  Storm appears to be moving faster than what was predicted yesterday.  I’ll have my eye on the updates today.

49623787-AC1B-4CC4-B762-E8E98856B64E.jpeg.97680ed543f08c02c6f362c3baa76e39.jpeg

@Ichiban NekkoThanks for the offer for a ride but I don’t think you would make it through the storms to here 😉 

@seagarsmokerglad to hear you are feeling much better 👍 

@rafinmdHappy to hear your lips are feeling pretty normal.  Good luck with our labs and physical.

@richwmnI can certainly help with the Daily posts - no worries at all.  At the rate things are going I’ll probably be here at home so should have wifi.  I am sure between  @kochleffelwe can get it done.

Those that fight deer will get this one 😉 

70CD5FB4-6024-49B7-AE10-E283654629C1.jpeg.a17bbd52f7cdd77b1c362c384d070cc0.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

5833FA52-1780-462A-8132-4BA380EE7851.thumb.jpeg.594eef333e0699e7fa1bd58775f50cf0.jpeg

Have a great Monday everyone and stay safe.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 10

18 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich. Another cloudy morning. Yesterday got a bit misty off and on, but no real rain. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. 

I visited Istanbul in 2016 after cruise ships starting visiting again. There were about 1,700 passengers on the Eurodam and many of them came from Australia. I loved the entire city, but found the Cisterns magical and fascinating. 

C7C21C3A-2F52-4852-A9C1-FB5F9B81C3C1.jpeg.6cb96ee4f5864c7269f45ab68e0c715c.jpeg

Just one gym class, chores and Bindi walks are on my schedule today. 

2BEDFD95-78FB-4FD1-874D-03E588BE80F3.jpeg.51b137c0824680b84052e41fed6d892f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @grapau27 Graham, praying that all goes well today. Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

Get well & stay well everyone!

Rivetto 2019 Vigna Lirano (Nebbiolo d'Alba)

This is one elusive wine! It sounds lovely and it is a biodynamic wine from a well respected vintner. Vicinity consumers report an average $51.00 per bottle, but my searches came up empty. 

96 Wine Enthusiast 

Made with certified organic and biodynamic farming methods and vinified in terra-cotta amphorae, this luminous Nebbiolo has compelling aromas of ripe red fruit, tilled earth, violet and camphor. The focused, delicious palate has a pristine quality, doling out fresh red berries, white pepper, star anise and a dollop of vanilla alongside taut, polished tannins. Bright acidity keeps it balanced, while a saline mineral note lingers on the savory finish. Enjoy now or hold for more complexity. Drink through 2031.

Thank you for your kind words and your excellent wine descriptions every day.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I leave the gingerbread decorating to the experts - I have no artistic ability.  I like Ambrosia Salad in the summer, and because we have a cat, we don't have poinsettias in the house, so I enjoy looking at them in the stores.  Today's quote gave me a chuckle; it pretty much applies to a lot of governments around the world.  

The dining room table is cleared, the wrapping paper is out, I found the "good" tape and scissors, so that means today I wrap gifts.  Last year I used gift bags, but this year I'm going to try to use up some of the dozen or more rolls of paper that we've amassed over the years.  I'm not the best wrapper, but as long as I've got lots of tape, I'm good.  The gifts give the recipients something to do on Christmas morning. . . get through all the tape.  LOL

Speaking of gift wrapping, I saw something funny online yesterday - it's a new drinking game.  Set your favourite libation out on a side table with a shot glass.  When you're wrapping your gifts, every time you lose either the scissors or tape, take a drink.   LOL

@grapau27I'm glad to hear your surgery went well; hoping for a good outcome for you.

@kazuI'm keeping my fingers crossed for you weather-wise; when do you expect to fly to San Diego?

@seagarsmokergood to hear you're feeling better!

@smitty34877how disappointing to know you won't be able to join the rest of your family this Christmas.  Maybe you can do as we did during lock-down and have a virtual gathering with a laptop at the table.

I think I'd like to try today's meal suggestion, but I know DH doesn't care for squash of any kind, so will leave it for when I see it in a restaurant menu.  I told DH I was wrapping gifts (he doesn't like doing it), so he said he'd take care of dinner tonight.  My guess is we'll either have a bake it yourself pizza or soup and sandwiches.  I'm good with either.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them, cheers to all who have celebrations.  Be safe, stay well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

41 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good afternoon.

I had my skin cancer operation at 10.30am UK time.

The surgeon thought 1 was a skin cancer and he removed it but thought the other which is not noticeable to just keep an eye on it.

I took a photo but won't post it unless anyone wants me to.

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to everyone who sent their good wishes and Like my posts every day.

There was 4 inches of snow on my car this morning when I took Pauline to work at 07.00am and the temperature has been sub zero all day.

My thanks to Rich,Roy, Debbie & @summer slopeand all those who make this a Must Read thread every day.

Tomorrow is my 6th anniversary of joining Cruise Critic.

Nice selection of days today.

Best wishes for everyone on Roy's care list.

Take care.

Graham.

Graham I thought of you when I got up to watch the snow plow at  3:30 this morning  and I am so glad things went well . I hope you heal quickly.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

@kazuI'm keeping my fingers crossed for you weather-wise; when do you expect to fly to San Diego?

Suppose to be flying on Wednesday shortly after noon hour.  I’m on the fence whether to pack or not. 😔. I hate unknowns - not good at dealing with them anymore LOL.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5