Making Departure Time Comfortably

scottie99

As an experienced cruiser, I kinda know the answer to my question. I guess I’m just looking for comfort and reassurance!

We have now booked the Onward out of Gran Canaria on 11 March.  We would prefer to go out the day before but the flights from Scotland don’t work out.

We can fly out on the day with a scheduled arrival time into Gran Canaria at 14.55.  The ship is due to depart at 8pm.  Do you think that works OK?

37 minutes ago, scottie99 said:

As an experienced cruiser, I kinda know the answer to my question. I guess I’m just looking for comfort and reassurance!

We have now booked the Onward out of Gran Canaria on 11 March.  We would prefer to go out the day before but the flights from Scotland don’t work out.

We can fly out on the day with a scheduled arrival time into Gran Canaria at 14.55.  The ship is due to depart at 8pm.  Do you think that works OK?

I’ve had so many delays and close calls that I would not be happy about flying out the same day, but that’s me. How many days ahead would you have to fly out? I like Gran Canaria, and would be happy with a couple of extra days there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, scottie99 said:

I sure would not cut it that close.  Even though the ship doesn’t sail until 8pm, you may be required to be onboard much earlier.  

• Like 2

So far all the responses with locations showing have been from the US – and I'm another one.  Flying across the pond, and then connecting to get to the Canaries would put us at the mercy of the airlines' worst horror stories so it's logical that everybody (including me) says I would never fly in the day of.

But I believe that the Canaries are a UK vacation spot, so you may have a much wider range of non-stop flights.  And only UK posters will know about the reliability of those flights.  So I hope that some of our loyal and helpful UK posters on this Board will chime in.

You might also post this question on CC's UK Cruisers Board.  They may not know Azamara, but they might know about flying from Scotland to the Canaries.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, scottie99 said:

Airlines like Jet2 are more reliable than other larger carriers but it’s a big risk if anything goes wrong at the Scottish airport before takeoff. If you booked the flights with Azamara what are they offering?  March is still that time of year when weather can be an issue. Personally I’d try and find a work around and go the day ahead. Would Newcastle or Manchester help? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is there any way that you can check the on time performance of the flights you are looking at.  If that isn't possible perhaps you can check the overall on time performance for that line or even all lines out of your home airport.  Again I am in the US so I don't really know anything about possible weather  or other issues out of your home airport.  I hope at least that the flights are non stop.

DON

I wouldn’t want to risk that, particularly in March when there is still a possibility of snow. We are sailing on Onward from Gran Canaria on 25th March and flying from Edinburgh 3 days earlier. The longer we escape the cold weather the better!

• Like 3

As an inexperienced cruiser, I flew out on the day of departure from Copenhagen for my only previous cruise. Think we landed about midday with a departure of 5pm. Never occurred to me that was a problem and we did indeed make the ship.

I think you do indeed know the answer. You will almost certainly make it OK assuming it is a non stop but March from Scotland might make weather delays more a possibility. I went in June from London. At the least, it might be wise to consider a back up plan, for example if there are flights available to the next port of call.

I have bitten the bullet and booked a flight going out the day before the cruise.

The downside is it meant going out one one airline and back on a different one. It meant having to pay a ridiculous price for the flights, about 3 time the “normal “ price.

However, it gives us comfort and at end of the day, it’s only the kid’s inheritance that’s affected!

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

We have the same problem for our 25th March cruise from Gran Canaria, EasyJet do fly from Bristol on the 25th but the flight is due to land 45 minutes before sailing so not an option. We chose to fly out 4 days before, as there are only 2 flights a week, and have 4 days in an all inclusive resort hotel pre cruise. As we’re only a few miles from Bristol airport the hotel cost is almost covered in not having to get to Gatwick and all the inconvenience that entails.

• Like 2