Need to cancel cruise due to illness. I have NCL insurance

jxtgreek

Well my wife fell and broke both her her collar bones.  We will need to cancel our January cruise.  I will be calling NCL in the next few days but have been to busy at the hospital to call during NCL hours.  We have NCL's standard insurance.  Can anyone give their experience and/or suggestions.  Will probably be calling over the weekend.  Any help would be greatly appreciated including should I just cancel or try rescheduling later next year.

Edited by jxtgreek
spelling

Call NCL and cancel the cruise, they should give you a link to go to AON where you can print out forms, etc. One of them is for the doctor to complete. Then, send all completed forms off to claim.

When you cancel the cruise NCL will refund all except the base fares and insurance. 

We cancelled a cruise a week before sailing in July 2019 when I developed severe medical condition, and we were able to claim all except insurance and what NCL refunded.

Sorry to hear about your wife’s accident, hope she’s as comfortable as can be and continues to recover well. 

as @bluesea777 mentioned documents is very important, we had to cancel for Covid, and getting the proper documents from the doctor made everything easy. The only thing that we didn't get back was the cost of the insurance. We called the NCL Miami office, the folks on the normal phone # couldn't help at all.  

Edited by JIMESOPUS
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jxtgreek said:

Well my wife fell and broke both her her collar bones.  We will need to cancel our January cruise.  I will be calling NCL in the next few days but have been to busy at the hospital to call during NCL hours.  We have NCL's standard insurance.  Can anyone give their experience and/or suggestions.  Will probably be calling over the weekend.  Any help would be greatly appreciated including should I just cancel or try rescheduling later next year.

As everyone has said, you need to have documentation. Your original invoice for your cruise. Your cancellation receipt from NCL. A doctor's note with the information required by the insurance company. 

The link below is to the NCL standard plan. At the bottom of the page, there is a link to start a claim. Click the link and start the claim (even if you're not ready). It will get you to an Attending Physician Statement that will show you what you need from your doctor. 

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/NCL-LandingPage-STANDARD-7-2017.html

Port Fees/Taxes, pre-paid shore ex, pre-paid gratuities (daily service charge, free at sea promotions, etc.) will be refunded to your original form of payment. 

The cruise fare itself is what the insurance company will pay. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jxtgreek said:

I'm so sorry to hear of her injuries.   I can't imagine breaking one, but both!?  That's going to be a difficult recovery, I'd think.  I hope all goes well!

One thing... I don't know when in January your cruise is, but please look at the cancellation penalty schedule.

We had to cancel at the last minute some years ago (DH's first cruise and our first time using travel insurance - thank you CruiseCritic members!)

Anyway, we were right at the deadline for 100% penalty, and we were worried that the insurer might claim we should have/could have notified the cruise line before the full 100% penalty set in (then the insurer would have had to pay less, etc.).

It turned out not to be a problem, due to the documented time sequences of physician visits and continuing worsening of his condition.  But we would not have been at all happy to find out something like, if we had dealt with it a day or two earlier, we would have avoided a nasty process or part of the claim denied.

Our experience isn't with NCL insurance, but with 3rd party, and we've found them very easy to work with, *assuming* we have all of the proper documentation and receipts, etc.  (They do have a right to get the receipts to try to avoid fraud, etc.)

Anyway, good luck and best wishes to your wife!

GC

3 years ago my son had a brain aneurysm about a week before a cruise.  I immediately called my lady at NCL. To tell the truth i was shocked my grown son having a medical crisis qualified me for an insurance refund. NCL immediately refunded me their part (tips,taxes,etc) she sent me the insurance form over email. The hospital printed it up and they properly filled it out and doctor did his part and signed. I sent it to insurance and almost immediately i had a check.  Keep in mind i had everything correctly filled out.it isn’t always getting the form done correctly.  I had a scatter brained nurse mess it up twice. I ended up going to medical records where they did it. I was able to track down the doctor. All the while my son was still in hospital.\

Just my opinion, make time somehow and contact NCL insurance ASAP.  Unfortunately NCL third party insurance does not send you all the contact info , policy number, etc. like when buying other travel insurance.  I wish I would have saved their direct numbers but didn't.