Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

44 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Given that they more than tripled that capacity of the Sanctuary, and now have it divided into "Suite" and "non-Suite" areas, I think it is highly unlikely that we are going to see hundreds of nicely padded loungers in the non-Suite area.  The crew member giving the tour in the video I referred to earlier certainly did not leave the impression that the vast row of vinyl loungers that we saw in the non-Suite area are going to be anything other than what we saw.  It almost looks to me like the entire set-up is different, and instead of paying for and reserving a specific seating area for the length of the cruise, what you are buying is entry into a "Haven-esque" escape where there are several different seating options open to all who pay (on the non-Suite side), some of which are padded and many of which are not.  And if this is true, we will now have a new category of guest on board, which is the "Sanctuary Chair Hog".  Sort of like leaving the ranks of the amateurs and turning pro. 

It may also happen in the suite area, there doesn’t appear to be many loungers given all the suites the Sun has

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

@HiramDylan,

Any chance you can get us full Sanctuary pricing before you disembark?

Full Day / Half Day / Full Voyage cost.  "Regular Section".

Same for Signature section.

Cabana cost for Full / Half days.  Whole voyage?

Also, are there any padded loungers outside of the signature area - OTHER THAN the double-wide beds around the pool?

Thanks.

@rexdillinger, you took a video of Sun Sanctuary, but no mention of pricing.  Any chance you can re-visit that to gather the above info?

Hopefully someone on board can supply the info.  

Sanctuary's $99/day. I shared a video earlier here (Post #3193), which I filmed from a comfortable padded-lounger in the Dome, showing the Dome's padded-loungers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

@HiramDylan,

Any chance you can get us full Sanctuary pricing before you disembark?

Full Day / Half Day / Full Voyage cost.  "Regular Section".

Same for Signature section.

Cabana cost for Full / Half days.  Whole voyage?

Also, are there any padded loungers outside of the signature area - OTHER THAN the double-wide beds around the pool?

Thanks.

@rexdillinger, you took a video of Sun Sanctuary, but no mention of pricing.  Any chance you can re-visit that to gather the above info?

Hopefully someone on board can supply the info.  

22.jpg

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

It may also happen in the suite area, there doesn’t appear to be many loungers given all the suites the Sun has

I wondered about that. Given the addition of the new Signature Suite (Mini-suite layout with Suite benefits) that space looks inadequate. By my calculations based on info I could find, the Suite capacity is 160 at double occupancy and up to 324 if all suites are booked at full capacity. Likely it will fall somewhere in the middle. But even at double occupancy, that's almost double the suite capacity on Discovery.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HiramDylan said:

Sanctuary's $99/day. I shared a video earlier here (Post #3193), which I filmed from a comfortable padded-lounger in the Dome, showing the Dome's padded-loungers.

Thank you!

So that's per person? And does it include an assigned lounger or just general access to the whole area?

15 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Which brings up a question.  Do guests in Suites automatically qualify to use the Sanctuary, or is the Suite-only area of the Sanctuary reserved for Suite guests who then pay an additional fee to get in?  If it is the former, you are correct.  Space will be fought over.  If it is the latter, we will have to see how many Suite guests pay even more to get into the Sanctuary.  I have always viewed the Sanctuary as a place for non-Suite guests to pay an upgrade fee to get treated like they are in Suites, and not a place that Suite guests would have much of a need to pay extra for.  In other words, "Inside Cabin + Sanctuary Access = very nice cruise" and "Suite + Sanctuary Access = paying extra for little in return."  But maybe I am completely wrong about that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Which brings up a question.  Do guests in Suites automatically qualify to use the Sanctuary, or is the Suite-only area of the Sanctuary reserved for Suite guests who then pay an additional fee to get in?  If it is the former, you are correct.  Space will be fought over.  If it is the latter, we will have to see how many Suite guests pay even more to get into the Sanctuary.  I have always viewed the Sanctuary as a place for non-Suite guests to pay an upgrade fee to get treated like they are in Suites, and not a place that Suite guests would have much of a need to pay extra for.  In other words, "Inside Cabin + Sanctuary Access = very nice cruise" and "Suite + Sanctuary Access = paying extra for little in return."  But maybe I am completely wrong about that.

A very good question.  My other thought about the Sanctuary.  On previous ships the Sanctuary was a beautiful spot.  I feel like Princess set the bar pretty high.  Wonder what happened on the Sun?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HiramDylan said:

And I imagine those are free as FCFS.

So, $99 is for ONE person for full day?  Or a couple?  (If one person, that is a 2.5X price increase - $40 to $100 essentially). 

Any info on half-days or cabanas?  I am guessing a Cabana must run $500 now based on the $100 new lounger price. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Here are a couple photos....

Sometimes photos do not lie.....

WOW

Sanctuary on REGAL Princess

Sanctuary on SUN Princess.

Pretty sad, isn't it?  Now it's just chock-a-block plain old deck chairs in an adult-only zone.  A hundred bucks for that??!!  Who are they kidding?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Pretty sad, isn't it?  Now it's just chock-a-block plain old deck chairs in an adult-only zone.  A hundred bucks for that??!!  Who are they kidding?

I agree.  I just don’t get it.  I know they are trying to make big bucks, but it is so plain and drab, hardly any covered area.

Maybe it’s not finished?  SMH

• Like 4

2 hours ago, FLAlaska said:

More on Park19 and the Sanctuary. $499 for Cabanas

Sorry, but that video doesn't provide any new info other than the $500 ticket for a Cabana (which was exactly my guess price when I heard $100 for an unpadded sun bed).  The videographer doesn't seem to know anything too much. 

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Cushions for the Sanctuary loungers....

There seems to be a LOT that is not finished onboard.

The things that we know about...  and many smaller things that we might not.

There are workers at work in the Dome...  Hot tub in the Sanctuary... the cabanas in the Sanctuary, and probably a good number of other areas.  (NO WAY THEY DID NOT KNOW WELL BEFOREHAND THAT THOSE FIRST SAILINGS WOULD BE CANCELLED)

I really do NOT see how Princess could begin to expect to charge for unpadded loungers...

Of course, we know how off-base and incompetent this corporation has been lately.

Whoever was in charge of finalizing the design and decor of the Sanctuary is another person who should no longer be with PCL.

Even if they come up with pads, those sun beds have no wheels and cannot move and you are crammed in with everyone.  Just terrible and not worth the old $40, let alone $100!!

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

All of a sudden the Cabana area looks more inviting and relaxing then the Sanctuary🤩deckpic4.jpg.5555014ae0c350a2b6ee062f15ca5d52.thumb.jpg.f4f11960fe9a6f2d3d7ef4a994821827.jpg

maybe that is their goal .....Ka-CHING! – Hepburnsays

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Chamima,  I have seen some walk thru videos, and any shades area is from the 'tarps', at the entry area where there are some tables and chairs....   One wouldn't have a sea-view,  but I can see people wanting to make room there for their loungers, if there is any space to do so.

Exactly.  Only shade I have seen is in a lounge type area with scattered chair settings and some stand-up.  Pretty bad IMO.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Sorry, but that video doesn't provide any new info other than the $500 ticket for a Cabana (which was exactly my guess price when I heard $100 for an unpadded sun bed).  The videographer doesn't seem to know anything too much. 

No..just more video for those that wanted to see it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

All of a sudden the Cabana area looks more inviting and relaxing then the Sanctuary🤩deckpic4.jpg.5555014ae0c350a2b6ee062f15ca5d52.thumb.jpg.f4f11960fe9a6f2d3d7ef4a994821827.jpg

Can any passenger use the Cabana sun deck?  Or is that restricted to Cabana cabin passengers only?  

Edited by valdean

1 minute ago, valdean said:

Can any passenger use the Cabana deck?  Or is that restricted to Cabana cabin passengers only?  

Only for passengers in certain cabana staterooms if I recall correctly. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

Thank you!

So that's per person? And does it include an assigned lounger or just general access to the whole area?

Entry to Sanctuary, per person, per day, for non-suite travellers.

• Thanks 5

Just now, valdean said:

Can any passenger use the Cabana deck?  Or is that restricted to Cabana cabin passengers only?  

I hope it’s restricted to cabana guests.  Can you imagine the chair hogs, if it were opened up?

Yikes!

• Like 1

The Sanctuary has always been our favorite place. Especially with just 60-100 people. It seems as though it has changed and it is now just a money maker for them. It seems so sad that now on the Sun everyone is so crammed together. It is heartbreaking that they would do this. And I agree, ever who it was that designed and approved this should be fired. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

It almost looks to me like the entire set-up is different, and instead of paying for and reserving a specific seating area for the length of the cruise, what you are buying is entry into a "Haven-esque" escape where there are several different seating options open to all who pay (on the non-Suite side), some of which are padded and many of which are not. 

You probably have something there.

And if this is true, we will now have a new category of guest on board, which is the "Sanctuary Chair Hog".  Sort of like leaving the ranks of the amateurs and turning pro. 

Good one!!!

See above.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

On previous ships the Sanctuary was a beautiful spot.  I feel like Princess set the bar pretty high.  Wonder what happened on the Sun?

June, 2018-CCL trading at $60.157.

July, 2018-Princess announces two future ships to be launched as the Sphere Class Ships

October, 2022-Construction has been underway for just about a year, and CCL is trading at $9.15.

Things got cut along the way.  The first photo below is the mock-up of a Cabana Mini-Suite that Princess released to the press (taken from an article written here on CC detailing the progress of the build.)  The second photo was taken by a guest this week.

Lounge area in Cabana balcony cabin on Sun Princess (Photo: Chris Gray Faust)

Няма апісання фота.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Thanks 1