Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

5 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

Are you sure?  Just wait until the screaming children get access to the Park 19 roller glider...which looks like it runs right next to the Sanctuary pool.  I don't think the glider is operational yet, so we will have to see what effect it has on the noise levels.  I don't see it having a positive influence on the Sanctuary vibe, though.

For that matter can one even be sure that the sanctuary is adults only. After all if there are children in a suite I doubt Princess will block them from the signature area.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

I love the new shower doors!  😃

Me too! There are plenty of exciting things about the ship.

• Updated piazza looks different, but really nice (sans the big LED...I could do without it).  I like the addition of seating along the edges, too.
  • The dining venues look stunning, and there are lots of choices.
  • Lido deck is beautiful, with nice big pools.  In fact, I love that the ship has so many different pools and hot tubs throughout.  Lots of options.
  • The Dome looks beautiful.  I think it will be great for shows...someday.
  • Thermal suite looks very relaxing...can't wait to use it!
  • The cabins look quite spacious and the balconies look deeper than the ones on Royal class ships.  I appreciate the inclusion of a Lavazza in some of the rooms, plus lots of USB ports to charge devices. 
  • The Signature Lounge looks great, too.  Great views, nice bar, good layout.  I know a lot of people have been wondering if it would get too crowded, but I think it looks even bigger than the lounge in the Haven on the Norwegian Joy...and I never felt like that was overcrowded.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

This is a good one - I got an email today from Princess about my 6/8 sailing. Listed was “Get ready to personalize your dining”. When I clicked on learn more, I got Whoops! Your page was not found!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

Me too! There are plenty of exciting things about the ship.

• Updated piazza looks different, but really nice (sans the big LED...I could do without it).  I like the addition of seating along the edges, too.

Think you about nailed it !!!

• Thanks 2

I am so looking forward to sailing on this ship for 14 days in November! I will decide for myself if I like this new concept and if I don’t then I’ll be back to the Royal Class ships which I love, especially the Majestic.

I learned a lesson 2 weeks ago when I was on the new Celebrity Ascent. This was our first time on X and I had read a lot of negative reviews from people about the cruise line and the new ship. I had told my DH this cruise on X was going to a one and done. Boy was I wrong! We loved the ship and we loved X. We booked another cruise on another E class ship while we were still onboard which is something we have never done before. 

So what I learned is not to form an opinion based on what others are posting (most who aren’t even on the ship) but to go into this new ship concept with an open mind. 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, valdean said:

Can any passenger use the Cabana sun deck?  Or is that restricted to Cabana cabin passengers only?  

The private cabana deck on deck 9 is only accessible for Reserve Cabana mini suite guests, not for all mini suites or cabana suites. I think this private deck will not be too crowded. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cdude said:

Okay, this is interesting. I just received the following email regarding my 3/9 sailing.

image.thumb.png.326de0b9af33221f6f224d0b5dd2e260.png

Trying to make room for influencers who got bumped from the first two sailings I'd say...

• Like 5

Just now, downtheback said:

Trying to make room for influencers who got bumped from the first two sailings I'd say...

I was literally just thinking about posting the same comment. There were likely quite a few booked on the first couple of cruises that got canceled, as well as perhaps some high volume TAs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cdude said:

Okay, this is interesting. I just received the following email regarding my 3/9 sailing.

8 minutes ago, Cdude said:

That’s what known as a move-over offer.

• Like 1

Very generous offer. I would get about $7k free cruise given my premium pkg and upgrade from a premium deluxe balcony. I’m seriously considering it given how the theater isn’t even running yet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Cdude said:

Very generous offer. I would get about $7k free cruise given my premium pkg and upgrade from a premium deluxe balcony. I’m seriously considering it given how the theater isn’t even running yet.

Act fast then.  They will have a lot of takers, probably due to not everything open yet.

Good luck 

37 minutes ago, Cdude said:

Based on what is not yet operational on the ship, I would take that offer in a New York minute. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Just my 2 cents after 2 days, solely based on the infos, pictures and videos posted here.

2 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

I disagree. On older ships, the Piazza was loud before, but still comfortable to sit. I think this new Piazza make it even worse. Videos seem to prove that.

I agree. Espicially the MDRs on deck 6 to 8 look fantastic. Also Crown Grill.

So many nice new à la carte breakfast options. Even an upcharge Lobster Benedict. Am I wrong or is the FILET back on the MDR menu as a daily Princess Favorite?

Also many more food options now on Lido.

• The Dome looks beautiful.  I think it will be great for shows...someday.

For shows in the evening - you may be right. As a relaxing rest during daytime, I am not so sure. Videos show it's kinda loud in there, too. And let's see what happens in summer with the temperature. It reminds me of the glass-covered Conservatory on Sapphire Princess. An area which is not too popular. Of course the dome is much more spectacular than the Conservatory.

• Thermal suite looks very relaxing...can't wait to use it!

Yes, it looks good, but not a vast improvment compared to the Royal Class ships.

• The cabins look quite spacious and the balconies look deeper than the ones on Royal class ships.  I appreciate the inclusion of a Lavazza in some of the rooms, plus lots of USB ports to charge devices. 

Hmm, I need to see them in real life. The new bathrooms seem nice. But the rooms seem less wide but longer instead. And that's really not an improvment.

The Signature Lounge looks great, too.  Great views, nice bar, good layout.  I know a lot of people have been wondering if it would get too crowded, but I think it looks even bigger than the lounge in the Haven on the Norwegian Joy...and I never felt like that was overcrowded.

Yes, it looks very good. Although people say it may be much too small for all the suite guests. Let's see.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1

This whole thread has me hankering for a quiet afternoon stroll/book on a wraparound Grand-class Promenade deck….isn’t it great that there are still ships for all cruisers!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Reviews of other ships that have the same set-up uniformly call the Cabana cabins that open up to the deck area the worst cabins on the ship for that exact reason.  One video even showed deck loungers pressed up against the glass of the cabin's "balcony" so that if you were out on your balcony, someone else's greasy head was pressed up against your glass partition, a foot away from you.  Yech!

It is funny how these are the Premium Priced mini-suits on the Sun but you have already deemed them a disaster.  The pictures that were posted of other ships "supposedly" Cabana minis were on a promenade deck and Princess has restricted who can enter the Cabana area on the Sun, which is not open to most passengers.  

I think the cabins have a lot to offer plus the Reserve Dining is important to lots of passengers.  What you seem to imply is going to happen probably won't in reality.   I have not really heard any passengers on the Sun who are in these Cabana Cabins post about how horrible they are.  It seems there are other areas and issues with the ship that are much more unsettling to most passengers on the ship right now.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

It is funny how these are the Premium Priced mini-suits on the Sun but you have already deemed them a disaster.  The pictures that were posted of other ships "supposedly" Cabana minis were on a promenade deck and Princess has restricted who can enter the Cabana area on the Sun, which is not open to most passengers.  

I think the cabins have a lot to offer plus the Reserve Dining is important to lots of passengers.  What you seem to imply is going to happen probably won't in reality.   I have not really heard any passengers on the Sun who are in these Cabana Cabins post about how horrible they are.  It seems there are other areas and issues with the ship that are much more unsettling to most passengers on the ship right now.

The FB posts from people currently on the ship are replete with complaints about the skimpy decor. 
And I didn’t declare them a disaster. I was referencing many, many video reviews from noted cruise influencers who have stated in them. I trust them. You don’t have to. 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/28/2024 at 6:03 PM, cruisedoctor said:

And, while I hope to have official confirmation from management until tomorrow, today up at Coffee & Cones on Deck 17, they were NO LONGER offering COMPLIMENTARY soft serve ice cream.  I was there getting my Premium Desert, when another passenger asked for a soft serve, and was told it would be $5.  I question the staff member about that, as it is free on every other ship in the fleet, and she said her supervisor told her soft serve was going to be chargeable for EVERYONE…even if they had PLUS or PREMIER, as soft serve wasn’t a premium desert.  I’m waiting to hear from Guest Services to confirm if that is in fact a new policy on the Sun.  I’ll let you know.

UPDATE:  It is confirmed that the “soft serve” being offered on the pool deck (Deck 17) is a PREMIUM type of soft serve and is chargeable for everyone.  There is an outdoor food stand on one side of “The Promenade” on Deck 9.  (The Promenade is outside along The Eatery.). That is the new location where you can get a complimentary soft serve cone.  However, that location is only open from 11AM to 6PM.  Not at all convenient for anyone lounging on the pool deck during the day, as it would be necessary to take the elevator from 17 midship down to Deck 9 and walk to the more aft location of the soft serve stand.

Also, when the PLUS and Premier went into effect, and Alfredo’s was no longer free, we were told that you could still get a free slice of pizza up on the pool deck (for Royal Class and older ships).  There are now 2 locations for free pizza on the Sun, but don’t get too excited.  The first is on the outside, on The Promenade (Deck 9)…but that is only open from 11AM to 6PM.  The second is part of “The Grill” on Deck 17…but that is only open till 9PM.  

So, don’t get a craving for free soft serve after 6PM or a slice of pizza after 9PM.

Edited by cruisedoctor
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 12

On 2/28/2024 at 7:11 PM, valdean said:

So funny!   I love these type of elevators -- Marriott Times Square has had them for years.  But the true test will be DISEMBARKATION DAY !! In "theory" I think it may improve that process.  It should help folks in wheelchairs and scooters.  It was an absolute nightmare trying to disembark with my mother in a scooter; the lifts were usually full whether up or down as passengers got in regardless.  This way you know which elevator is yours and line up accordingly.  We'll see. So fingers, toes, hairs, and eyes all crossed that this will be an improvement all the way around - without extra cost or restrictions!

Another benefit of these new elevators that I thought about today, is since there aren’t any floor buttons inside the elevator cars, all those “well behaved children” who thinks its funny to push every button are going to be out of luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, cruisedoctor said:

Another benefit of these new elevators that I thought about today, is since there aren’t any floor buttons inside the elevator cars, all those “well behaved children” who thinks its funny to push every button are going to be out of luck.

But sometimes I change my mind IN the elevator on which deck I want to go. Now what. 😄

By the way, the “well behaved children” can now press all buttons from the outside, without even entering the elevator. So let's see if the new buttons are a benefit. 

• Haha 2