Celebrity Internet Question

Snate

I will be on Celebrity next week and I forget how their internet works when it comes to multiple devices.  If I buy the internet package can I only use it on one device at a time (if I have a phone and a IPad with me for example)?  Also, can I technically buy the package and let my wife log in on her phone when I am not using it on my phone?

Just now, Snate said:

I will be on Celebrity next week and I forget how their internet works when it comes to multiple devices.  If I buy the internet package can I only use it on one device at a time (if I have a phone and a IPad with me for example)?  Also, can I technically buy the package and let my wife log in on her phone when I am not using it on my phone?

yes

9 minutes ago, Snate said:

Thanks.  Premium Wi-Fi versus Basic?  Worth the extra $100?

On Edge in Oct/Nov I had premium and it was not good, so I assume basic is even less gooder...though Edge has now been upgraded to Starlink

17 minutes ago, cazzi said:

Was on the Sil last week internet was super slow upgraded to Premium and not much better

Exactly the same for me on Edge in Oct/Nov with premium, totally MEH, I did not really "need" it though, was just convenient.  I think the cruise right after mine got the StarLink upgrade though.

10 hours ago, cazzi said:

Was on the Sil last week internet was super slow upgraded to Premium and not much better

My understanding is that premium wifi doesn't mean more speed. It just permits access to streaming and some other capabilities that basic wifi blocks. I could be wrong.

19 minutes ago, RichYak said:

My understanding is that premium wifi doesn't mean more speed. It just permits access to streaming and some other capabilities that basic wifi blocks. I could be wrong.

According to an iLounge on the Edge back in the summer of 2021 (so non-starlink), they claim Premium is supposed to be at least twice as fast.  Additionally, with an iPhone, with basic you can only text other iPhone users; finally premium allows you to make phone calls (basic doesn't).  With basic there are work arounds to communicate with others using a 3rd party wifi app like whatapps but the issue (for some) is you miss out on incoming non-iPhone texts including existing group texts, incoming phone calls, etc. 

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

You might be confusing Celebrity’s Internet with Oceania’s internet.  What you state is exactly how they did it in our recent Oceania cruise.  Just turns off the streaming blocking.

2 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

You might be confusing Celebrity’s Internet with Oceania’s internet.  What you state is exactly how they did it in our recent Oceania cruise.  Just turns off the streaming blocking.

It's likely that I'm confusing it with something, that's seems sure now. Whether it's Oceania is anyone's guess.

On the Beyond now (Christmas Cruise 12-18 to 12-26) and I upgraded to the premium internet as I had to finish some work projects the first two days of the cruise.  The upgraded internet is quick, was able to stream Yellowstone while I was working with only four or five slight buffering pauses during the hour plus show.  I am able to watch Youtube without any buffering, make Teams calls, and upload/download files with ease.

Other family members have the basic and said it is fine for checking e-mails and Facebook, but is slow checking normal websites.

In April, I'll be sailing for the first time in a long while without an all-in package. On Celebrity, if I buy a multi-device plan for one of us, can all devices (up to the number purchased) be logged in and used at the same time? Can my wife use one of those allotted devices if she logs in with my credentials?

Thank you,

Kevin

If your device/phone can serve as a hotspot, just get online with that and share with additional devices. That's what we do in situations where we only have service for a single device.

Of course, if I then head to the buffet and take my phone, that leaves Cheryl without phone or laptop service. 

Tom

Just now, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

If your device/phone can serve as a hotspot, just get online with that and share with additional devices. That's what we do in situations where we only have service for a single device.

Of course, if I then head to the buffet and take my phone, that leaves Cheryl without phone or laptop service. 

Tom

Thanks, Tom. We've used hotspot many times, but it presents the problem you noted. If I'm off with the phone and Nan wants to use her laptop or phone, no joy. We need a minimum of two devices.

Kevin

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

No cell phone reception = no Wi-Fi hotspot except on a select few android phones.  

Otherwise you’ll need a “travel router” to multiply a Wi-Fi signal

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No cell phone reception = no Wi-Fi hotspot except on a select few android phones.  

Otherwise you’ll need a “travel router” to multiply a Wi-Fi signal

A travel router... Hmmm.. I've thought about setting up a mini network so that I can bring a Google Assistant and such!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I didn't think you could hotspot off the ship's wifi?

You can with select androids or a travel router.  

Most phones including iPhones do not have this hotspot feature.  For these phones they can only convert cellular reception into a hotspot

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

4 minutes ago, kml246 said:

Have a Pixel 6 Pro. By the time we sail, will likely be switching to a Samsung S23 Ultra (coming out in February).

Yep - that's what I have. I think the last Samsung I had was an S8+ (or such). I usually switch every other model, so I'll be looking at the Pixel 8 whenever it comes on the scene.

Tom

• Like 1