ABC islands vs St. Croix/St. Thomas/perfect day itinerary?

I think if this is your first cruise then the 7 nighter on the Adventure to St. Croix and Coco Cay would be your best choice. 

I too like the ABCs (just got back from there for the third time) but I think a young family is better off doing Coco Cay.   And no, you don't have to spend any money on Coco Cay to enjoy a relaxing day.

Regarding Carnival or RC... Did Carnival years ago a couple times, it was a lot of fun both times. Pretty much do RC now. RC has a lot of kids stuff, I assume that Carnival still does as well.

On 12/19/2022 at 12:39 PM, Midwifelife7 said:

Which would you pick and why? 

Cruising with spouse and kids 19,14,13,12,11 and 2 

ABC's hands down if you like the ocean.
Aruba beaches are magnificent and can be reached taking a city bus.... can be very cost efficient.
Bonaire is a world best snorkel site. Hop over to the Ports of Call section of cruise critic to read all about it....... then do yourself a massive favor and book an excursion with Woodwind tours. (or be adventurous and research how to do Klein Bonaire by yourself......)
Caveat - Coco Cay could get very expensive depending on what you choose to do based on second hand anecdotal stories.

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 3:08 PM, Midwifelife7 said:

Actually, I was completely wrong about the itinerary.  

Option 1:  RC-Adventure of the seas

St. Croix,

Tortola, VBI

Perfect day

Option 2:  Carnival Celebration

Aruba

Bonaire

Curacao

I'd choose the ABC itinerary because I've never been to Bonaire, and I really enjoyed Curacao and Aruba.  I did a snorkeling tour at the latter.  

Also, while Adventure of the Seas is surely a fine ship, she is fairly old.  Celebration will be Carnival's newest ship and, from experience, it is a total game-changer.  

On 12/19/2022 at 3:18 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

Diving in St. Croix and Tortola are okay but not nearly as good as in Bonaire. Coco Cay offers snorkeling but it's terrible.

That's sad to hear.  Back in 2010 when I went to CocoCay the snorkeling out by the cannons and sunken airplane, etc., was terrific.    I guess all the modernization and "Perfect Day" stuff has killed that.  😞  

17 hours ago, mac66 said:

Regarding Carnival or RC... Did Carnival years ago a couple times, it was a lot of fun both times. Pretty much do RC now. RC has a lot of kids stuff, I assume that Carnival still does as well.

Oh, Carnival does indeed have a lot of kids stuff; at least as many kids' venues as RCI.  

7 hours ago, Pellaz said:

Back in 2010 when I went to CocoCay the snorkeling out by the cannons and sunken airplane, etc., was terrific.    I guess all the modernization and "Perfect Day" stuff has killed that.  😞  

we are not avid snorkelers, but last November (2021) my parents and kiddo snorkeled right behind the rocks at the Chill island, and saw a ton of different fish and other sea life. They loved it.

20211127_113354.thumb.jpg.495c4c977d9d2425475d736db0f54b74.jpg

On 12/19/2022 at 12:39 PM, Midwifelife7 said:

Which would you pick and why? 

Cruising with spouse and kids 19,14,13,12,11 and 2 

I've done both, and I slightly preferred the Saints over the ABCs.  All have good water activities.  

On 12/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, poocher said:

14, 13, 12, 11!  In my family we called that Polish Twins and I have lots of twin cousins!  (yes I am Polish)

I've heard of "Irish twins" lots of times. 

Without knowing what dates, what ports, and what length each cruise is, it is very difficult to provide any insight.

We loved the ABC's on an 8-night cruise on Mariner out of Port Canaveral this summer - two sea days on each end. We also loved an 8-night Eastern on Mariner the next week - Labadee, San Juan, St Maartan, St. Croix and Coco Cay, although the port stops in both San Juan and St. Croix were a bit on the short side. We have both booked again on Adventure for summer 2024. If the OP is only looking at a short cruise on RCL, I'd pick one that does Labadee and Coco Cay and skip the one that was listed.

On 12/19/2022 at 3:58 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we don't snorkel in Bonaire at all. But we LUUUUURVE Bonaire - Sorobon beach to be exact. It's a paradise. Our 11 yo loves it as well, and he was 5 when he tried it out first. ABC islands is our absolute favorite itinerary. We've just done it twice - RCI in June and Princess in November.

Sorobon Beach, Lac Bay, Bonaire:

20221125_150828.thumb.jpg.d51d71c00df46db03d323bc318157aeb.jpg

20221125_151156.thumb.jpg.b6a2470a314bb56cb2d3bc4d66c596f8.jpg

But you, @Midwifelife7, will need to remember that your 2 yo will not need a car seat on Cococay. Cococay does not need to be expensive. We don't spend a cent there ever.

You may need to bring something like an Evenflo Tribute or Maestro for the 2 yo to use in taxis in other locations. If the kiddo is small, you could get away with a Cosco Scenera NEXT (rear facing only).

Other than that, I'd pick ABC itinerary hands down.

oh wow, i never even thought about carseat.  How on earth do you transport that easily???? 

10 minutes ago, Midwifelife7 said:

oh wow, i never even thought about carseat.  How on earth do you transport that easily???? 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2876122-car-seats-in-port/

I post a lot of advice and pics in the Family subforum.

Also useful:  

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling_with_children

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

• 11 months later...

We loved Bonaire for a dive trip, but cruising...I can only say I would prefer the Bahamas over the ABCs.  Much more to see and do.  BTW, the ABCs are DESERT islands.  Not tropical, the only palm/coconut trees were imported.  All cactus and bramble.  People grow their fences out of cacti.  So the Eastern or windward islands are much prettier.  IMO.

Bonaire fence.png

Edited by BecciBoo