Which Viking ship

dcassetta

We are planning for the Danube next summer and there are quite a few options.  We sailed the Osfrid on the Duoro and enjoyed the ship very much. I wondered if there was any difference in the several ships that are sailing the Danube - Egil, Gullveig, Atla, Jarl, Alsvin, Tor, Var

If they are all similar, then will we just look at dates are start/end cities.  TIA

5 minutes ago, dcassetta said:

We are planning for the Danube next summer and there are quite a few options.  We sailed the Osfrid on the Duoro and enjoyed the ship very much. I wondered if there was any difference in the several ships that are sailing the Danube - Egil, Gullveig, Atla, Jarl, Alsvin, Tor, Var

If they are all similar, then will we just look at dates are start/end cities.  TIA

By design, they are nearly identical in every way, save their name and their crew.

Edited by Haqdeluxe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dcassetta said:

I assume you’re aware the Douro ships are smaller than Danube ships and hold about half as many passengers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dcassetta said:

I wondered if there was any difference in the several ships that are sailing the Danube - Egil, Gullveig, Atla, Jarl, Alsvin, Tor, Var

None - the ships are all Longships, and are identical apart from their name and the artwork at the top of the stairs. For  floorplans and a 360 degree tour (use your mouse to spin the view around and to select the various areas the view.)

(As already mentioned, Longships are larger than the Douro boats.)

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I assumed this was the case, but it's nice to know. Yes, we are aware they are larger ships than on the Douro. I think we will do the eastbound cruise to spend more time in Budapest after the journey. 

Edited by dcassetta

• 2 months later...

Definitely sail towards Budapest - you sail into Budapest at night and it's very dramatic w/ the Parliament and other sites illuminated.  Budapest is quite the party town so the ship will be well greeted.  When we sailed from Passau to Budapest in 2016, being anchored in Budapest was the only stop that we actually had a security person.  Not sure where Viking is anchored in Budapest today, but then it was right by the Four Seasons hotel.